Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

HB 1588 - Universal Background Checks

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by mrbook, Feb 19, 2013.

1. mrbook

mrbook Battle Ground, Washington Member

kumabear17 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. mrbook

Also just got this from the NRA-ILA

3. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

This will not diswade any future criminal mass shootings, it WILL only lable law abiding gun owners as criminals!!!!

4. kumabear17

kumabear17 Issaquah Active Member

I wrote my guys on it. The part that really gets me is they apparently think if you pass a firearm onto you kids, you are going to fill out one of their stupid forms, pay a fee and probably saes tax. And that when I die (I'm old) my kids will do the same for each of the several dozen I own. I said I was old and have been gathering guns for awhile as have many of my friends. This would be in effect an illegal Inheritance Tax. I wrote they might as well arrest me if they pass it.

Now I have also run with several guys for years and we trade firearms constantly. I'm sure many of you have the same arrangment. One guy buys it, gets tired of it after 6 months or a years and another wants it. We've passed around the same gun a couple of times. We sure won't be going through the steps outlinned here to do this and I'll bet there are 1000's more he will do the same.

This law is sort of like the saying all women are equiped to perform the oldest profession in the world. And if our Legislature was to assume all the women, just by the nature of being equiped, had the intent to break the law the fools would try to register them. It wouldn't be a healthy choive for them to try, but it is what they are doing to gun owners. They're perceiving we'll committ a criminal act just because we have the equipment. There are no studies to support the "gun show" loop hole bs and straw buyers already intend to break the law so this won't deter them at all. Man am I wound up over this. Better go write more letters....

5. Kable

Kable Lynnwood Active Member

Cindy Ryu is one of my reps. I have no idea where she stands I've been calling and writing and haven't gotten a response. When I call tomorrow I'll ask the assistant if they know what her position is on it and then stress as politely as possible that this must not pass or I will be putting a lot of effort towards getting her out of office next election

6. jeffery_1965

jeffery_1965 Vancouver, Wa New Member

I sent my letters in as well. Everyone needs to pass the word along and get people to exercise their rights and to inform our representatives of the implications of their actions.

7. mhasson30

mhasson30 OR Active Member

:)

8. mrbook

My question is, how would they know you sold/traded/gave a firearm to another person without some sort of registry? There are literally tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of legal undocumented firearms in this state so how would the state know?
    Would mere possession of an undocumented firearms be breaking the law? Sounds like a slippery slope to me.

MB

9. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

^^ +1

they say they don't want to build a registration list, but there is absolutely no way to know who is breaking the law or not without building such a list.

so, either the law is just crap fluff that won't be enforced unless you're caught red-handed, or they are lying about the registration and leaving it off the table until after the law has already passed, at which time they will "realize" that they also need to require full registration of all private firearms in state.

10. kumabear17

While I don’t like the state involved in private fiearm sales – it’s a slippery slope – here is a surprisingly supportive letter from State Senator Mark Mullet, who is the 5th District Democrat Senator

Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:27 AM
    Subject: RE: Constituent: An Illegal Inheritance Tax
    DearXXXX,
    Thanks for writing to me about House Bill 1588. I appreciate hearing from you.

I understand your concerns with 1588, and I want you to know that the bill, according to Senate Law & Justice Committee counsel, does not cover the gifting/inheritance of firearms from you to your sons. They would not have to pay the $20 dollars for a background check, nor would they have to undergo one if you wanted to give them to your kids, or leave them your firearms in your will. It is not an inheritance tax. I am also working to make sure that, if 1588 comes to the Senate, it will be amended to exclude family members from undergoing any sort of background check, whether the firearm is gifted or sold to a family member.

As for your friends, counsel seemed to indicate that only sales are covered, and that swapping weapons between your friends is not required to undergo a background check. I think the bill will need to be clarified in order to avoid any confusion on this issue. However, until then, I want you to know that the bill has been amended to include an exemption for CPL holders from undergoing thorough background checks. It doesn’t make sense to force people to undergo multiple background checks when they’ve already been cleared by the State.

I still think this bill is a good idea in helping to curb the extremely easy access that criminals have to firearms. It is not a silver bullet which solves all problems, but I think it will certainly help. I also do not think that it infringes upon the Second Amendment, but I appreciate that my views are at odds with your belief on this subject. If you’d like to discuss this issue further, please feel free to contact me by email or over the phone.

Best regards,
    Mark
    Senator Mark Mullet
    5th Legislative District
    Legislative Building Room 415
    Olympia, WA 98504
    Phone: (360) 786-7608 Fax: (360) 786-1323

11. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

12.png

12. theStink

theStink Vancouver Member

It looks like only the "sale of the firearm" is subject to the law, but not gifting. I have a "picture" of a firearm I'd like to sell. But wait! There's more! I have a free gift firearm I'm going to give you that looks just like the picture you purchased!

What a stupid joke of a law. Who the heck are these guys, and who let them out of preschool without their parents coming to pick them up?

13. mrbook

After Reading Mr. Mullet's email all I could think of was this.

followLaws.jpg

followLaws.jpg

14. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

This is the real stealth bill we have to squash, the ban bills were just camo

15. kumabear17

I wrote Mullet back after I sat and thought about the response he originally sent to me. My question to him was why did he think the State had the right to “allow” citizens to inherent firearms, gift them, avoid backgrounds checks with A CPL or anything else. The word “allow” indicates to me Senator Mullet that they believe owning and acquiring firearms is a privilege “allowed” by the State. In my letter I emphasized to him this was the problem with Government. Bearing arms – owning firearms – was a “Right” acknowledged to exist as a “Natural Right” prior to the existed of the Country and reiterated here in Washington State’s own Constitution. Why didn’t he understand this. Of course I received no response.

16. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

The left are control freaks. This is why they run for office. Their opinion is the Constitution is a "living document" that be twisted any old way their sick minds deem

17. HuckFin

HuckFin mt rainier Active Member

Right on!..I don't see any end to what the goverment could impose on selling ones private property.....Not to mention the registry of our guns!

18. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

Agreed.

All a smoke screen.

19. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

These types of bills are great ways to slow gun transactions down to a grinding halt. Because everything needs to go through an FFL and some state agency. If we think about the typical time the ATF takes to do NFA transfers, we're in for a ton of poopoo once it passes. Because of course those fine sens/reps are happy to show how frugal and fiscally conservative they are by budgeting a minimal amount for such an agency.

HuckFin and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Nimh

Nimh Everett, WA Member

So what of the recent statement made by Alan Gottlieb of the SAF?

Source: Firestorm erupts over story about Gottlieb and background checks - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com