JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What should I buy to “stock up” for 1240?

• PSL

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Tavor SAR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steyr Aug

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • IWI Galil Ace

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Springfield M1A

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • AR-10

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
That's becoming less of reality these days. That you can always do something gun related, later. Get what you want now.
Hate to break the news but they will pass the Washington state AWB in February. They passed 1639 and may ban with no major political consequences and same will happen when they pass the AWB

Hate to break the news but they will pass the Washington state AWB in February. They passed 1639 and may ban with no major political consequences and same will happen when they pass the AWB
A win for fentanyl and weather exposure for the "house challenged" of the PNW (27 deg here). The media is telling the lemmings, no gun laws are getting passed so gun owners have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Get the IWI Carmel it's suppose to be like $1800 the charging handle swap from left to right is wild
Ah the new service rifle of the Carmelite Nuns. 👏

1675063305324.jpeg

Somebody else already said it, if you're moving to TX in a couple of years, why bother? Unless of course you think there is some danger of TX heading that direction. Two years goes by fairly quickly, you can wait that long. Well, at my age, that is so. Maybe not as quickly for younger folks. These days, Mrs. Merkt says it seems like Christmas comes every month now.

I voted for the M1A, with qualifications. If you are thinking of one of these, you might want to go with the more expensive M14 clone options, meaning, a brand other than Springfield Armory Inc. Like Fulton Armory, LRB, Bula Defense). You can't go to far wrong with a factory assembled AR10, building one of those isn't real gunsmithing. Closer to building certain automotive subassemblies. It's easier for factories to screw up something like an M1A. Even with CNC. When you buy a new SAI M1A, it's covered under warranty. But be careful buying a used one. Inspect it carefully, with particular attention to the receiver.

Believe this or not, of the four (4) SAI M1A's I've owned, three (3) had bad receivers. One I'd bought new, the factory replaced the receiver on it without saying why but one reason I sent it back was because the op rod was notching the front of the receiver. Another new gun, the run in the receiver that the bolt retracts into was machined wrong and tore up the original bolt. A used pre-ban gun that I bought had the receiver made wrong in that the threaded hole that the barrel screws into was slightly yawed. A second used M1A that I bought (on impulse at Cabela's in Tualatin as I was passing through going north) was perfect. 75% bilge rate isn't good.

I'm on the hunt for a Galil ARM (pre/post ban) but at this point even the Action Arms ones on GB are > $4k or not even listed. Might just settle for one of the cheapo Gallant kit builds by James River. I mean its better than nothing. What you think?

I voted for the M1A, with qualifications. If you are thinking of one of these, you might want to go with the more expensive M14 clone options, meaning, a brand other than Springfield Armory Inc. Like Fulton Armory, LRB, Bula Defense).
I bought a James River M14 on a Bula Defense receiver with USGI (milsurp) internals back when they were still somewhat affordable. With quality ammo that thing is a legitimate match rifle. I'm a little out of practice with it now but I used to get holes touching at 200 yards from the unsupported prone position. I would recommend someone buy one of these in a heartbeat. No regrets whatsoever.

still somewhat affordable
A relative term when discussing M14 clones. The SAI M1A has the price advantage (cough cough) of being only +/- $1,500 new for the standard model, if you live in a tax state, add $150. So that's within the OP's spending allowance. HOWEVER: It's not wisely spent if the product turns out to be unsatisfactory. The Bula Defense standard model has a price range of $2,250 to $2,650. The Fulton Armory is about $3,000. Both have order lead times.

Some day, we may find ourselves with some kind of new federal restrictions on this kind of rifle. Maybe some thought should be given to a quality bolt action for tying up that kind of money long-term.

For WA wouldn't this be banned with the new AWB? That could be signed as early as a couple weeks from now (I guess technically it could be earlier if they pull an illinois style bait and switch) or April at the latest if it goes through.
If I read the text of HB 1240 correctly, the new chapter 6 proposed calls for the ban to take effect immediately. An issue of public safety emergency is being used to invoke this requirement.

The bill hasn't gone through the process yet. "Effective Immediately" is pretty harsh and doesn't give people any time to plan ahead for disposal, etc. This may change before passage. If not, a lot of people are going to be caught with their drawers down. Many of us here on NWFA know about it; many will only know when they read about passage in the newspaper or hear it on broadcast news.

I drove around the gun shop and pawn shop circuit in the north Puget Sound area today. I observed several AR lower transactions taking place, so word has gotten around to some people. But these were probably cognoscenti, they were buying lowers for builds or hoarding. Not buying complete rifles such as may happen closer to "The Ban."

I was struck by the scarcity of used guns for sale just about everywhere I went.

If I were in WA I think of bigger concern for me would be the permit to purchase they are trying to pass. Any gun would have to go through that and would be on their register for the already passed mandatory yearly background check and any future regs or bans such as ammo restrictions, storage inspections or who knows what they may pass in the future. If buying before the permit process it's possible it will be more insulated from that crap for the future because it's harder to find/know you have it as it's not in the official state registry. Anything on that official state registry they are trying to pass they will be able to regulate the crap out of or maybe confiscate someday.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top