JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's been bitingly cold here the past few days so I've been wearing wool socks. My feet are warm, but yesterday I got shocked ten times or more when I reached out to touch something. Static shock!
I hope that doesn't happen when I reach for my rifle!

I don't know if it's the socks. I'm still wearing my summer weight cotton/poly and I'm getting shocked. I even get shocked when I pet the cat. And she touched me last night to let me know her food bowl was empty and i got shocked thru the bottom of her foot.

Don't know why, but when it's cold and dry, I just expect to get shocked.:)

WAYNO.

Just heard an explanation for this on the weather the other day. During 'normal' weather when there is slightly higher humidity, the static charge that is building up on our clothes, etc. (happening all the time), can dissipate through the water vapor in the air. Water is a conductor, air is an insulator, remove a lot of the water from the air and you have no conductor to bleed away that charge. During extremely dry times like we have had the last few days, with very cold air, the static has no place to go, so it builds up, at least until you give it an alternate path to discharge.

As for me, I've lost count of how many times I've been shocked, sometimes heavily, over the past few days.

Just heard an explanation for this on the weather the other day. During 'normal' weather when there is slightly higher humidity, the static charge that is building up on our clothes, etc. (happening all the time), can dissipate through the water vapor in the air. Water is a conductor, air is an insulator, remove a lot of the water from the air and you have no conductor to bleed away that charge. During extremely dry times like we have had the last few days, with very cold air, the static has no place to go, so it builds up, at least until you give it an alternate path to discharge.

As for me, I've lost count of how many times I've been shocked, sometimes heavily, over the past few days.

That makes sense. Thank you, Professor Etrain. :)

Flood your home with an inch of water. Problem solved! :p

In the winter, when my step father would run the wood stove constantly, the air in the house would get really dry, the static was awful. Eventually he took to putting a kettle on the stove at all times to put some moisture back in the air - worked pretty well actually.

It's been bitingly cold here the past few days so I've been wearing wool socks. My feet are warm, but yesterday I got shocked ten times or more when I reached out to touch something. Static shock!
I hope that doesn't happen when I reach for my rifle!
Pretty much the same here for the last few days. My dog is now losing his trust for me.

I haven't shocked anyone for a while (shocking I know :rolleyes:). I kind of like shocking people, it makes me feel like this:
http%3A%2F%2Fimg2.wikia.nocookie.net%2F__cb20130420045714%2Fstarwars%2Fimages%2Ff%2Ff1%2FBZZZZZZ.png
:p

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top