JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been doing hay at the Ranch since about 93 when I was not 55 lol. This year last night we loaded the last bail for 2018 in the barn and from this year on we and myself wont be bucking hay. I like the workout but damn it was a whole lot easier when I was 30 then 55 but we got it done around 10 last night Whew! The Mrs even got out there and was loading bail, damn.... she done that the last two years.

What I notice is all the young people in the family we too busy or had aches and pains to help. So all of us all over 50 finished all the hay loaded on the trailer and hand loaded in the barn. Those same people are the first ones to show up at a BBQ. This is not a compliant as much as I am sure like many others sewn from a different thread, as age didn't matter work needed doing we did it.

We are officially going back to cattle we have hordes there thats what the hay is for, but we are going back to cattle something we did pre-93 and being where my son works this will make it a great investment and no more hay bucking :) I was thinking soon it was going to have to end, still can doing not even sore today just tired as we had to finish on the hottest day so far this year.

Well back to work...... anyone else bucked hay this year ??

anyone else bucked hay this year ??

the last I bucked a REAL hay field was 1964. 3 monster stacks, about 15' high by maybe 40x80' or 50x100' base. Took 5 of us most of a week. Used 8N Ford tractor towing a plank slip, pair of hay hooks for each bale wrassler and a motorized elevator for the stacks.
Got done just in time to hoe weeds out of 60 acres of cherry trees....:confused:

Its hard work. I did a bit as a teen helping shirt tail family with their small farm outside Salem. Paid an honest wage, was hard work, but we filled their barn, after filling their big flatbed trailers first. It was fun in a way, filling a barn damn near to the rafters. Took all day with about six of us working.

Ah man...I didn't know you guys were bailing hay...I would have totally come over and helped, had I known....Can you pass me some Ribs? ;)

Have never had to bail hay, but I'm interested in learning the process. Think of me next year if anyone needs a hand or a hand with any big projects on the homestead. I'm strong, work hard and enjoy learning.

Ah man...I didn't know you guys were bailing hay...I would have totally come over and helped, had I known....Can you pass me some Ribs? ;)

Have never had to bail hay, but I'm interested in learning the process. Think of me next year if anyone needs a hand.

Bailing is done by machine, bucking is all Manuel LaBor, ususally use big steel hooks to grab and lift the bail and place it where it needs to be. Trying to lift by the twine or wire suuucks.

Part of my haying crew was a pair of (literal) Mexican Indians from the interior who spoke some form of ancient Mayan language. Taciturn & trim as you can get, one older guy maybe 60 or 150, and a younger guy about 30ish. They could work circles around me, at my youthful prime and stout from some intensive PT & truck tire fleet maintenance. Didn't understand the reality of 'sunstroke' and labored & sweated mightily without proper hydration. Predictably got very wobbly about mid morning 1st day and had the oldsters laughing gently as they rescued me & insisted I water up.

Good lesson. I learned a bunch of other little labor tricks as well.

We never had lifters, ( we were it ) just us picking up ground level then passing along to the man or women on the trailer. In the barn all the way to rafters using ladders to slide to top. I have to say in a way its fun and hard when you are not bleeding sweat its not too bad. We had about three days this year which is the norm. In the 90's it would be two weeks or so as there was three ranches the family had and that was crazy.

On heat stroke to give and idea in just three hours I drank 2 large bottles of water / gatorade mixed and one 1/3 tea spoon salt in one water. and three bottles of water never took a piss the who time. I finally did piss after six hours doubling that amount.
Mind you been doing this about every year for 25 years and even knowing the smart ways you can't help but sweat.
Drink fluids even if you are not hot or thirsty, by the time you are it may be too late. I owned a Landscape Co for about 15 years so labor and outside is no mystery to me, I have allot of stamina and that what is needed as well as good strength but stamina is what will keep you moving all day long. Only blessing is its once a year but whats odd that in the last ten years I can not recall doing it in may like we used to its always June now.

PS I add the salt just that tad mentioned because it helps avoid any cramps if you are not getting enough water. Id say heat stroke and lack of hydration is a big issue, if your muscle bound then that salt really helps, seen huge guys stop after just a few hours as their body can't hold on that much. I'm 6'4" so it helps me stay healthy.
Also is you don't walk much wow your feet and calves are going to turn on you big time. We also in recent years used those freezer bands that are great for that mid afternoon heat.

Last Edited:
I applaud your hard work and dedication. When things needed done, things got done in our family.;)

I grew up in a different hemisphere, the South. We worked in family gardens for six different families. Mainly for me it was my punishment being a bad boy, I had to go out and hoe weeds in the garden.;)

I worked Summers as a teen in peach packing houses in Georgia, good Lord you talking about sweltering Heat add over 100% humidity.:eek::eek::eek:

Last Edited:
Oh ya gees thats the worst humidity

I applaud your hard work and dedication. When things needed done, things got done in our family.;)

I grew up in a different hemisphere, the South. We worked in family gardens for six different families. Mainly for me it was my punishment being a bad boy, I had to go out and hoe weeds in the garden.;)

I worked Summers as a teen in mini Peach packing houses in Georgia, good Lord you talking about sweltering Heat add over 100% humidity.:eek::eek::eek:

the last I bucked a REAL hay field was 1964. 3 monster stacks, about 15' high by maybe 40x80' or 50x100' base. Took 5 of us most of a week. Used 8N Ford tractor towing a plank slip, pair of hay hooks for each bale wrassler and a motorized elevator for the stacks.
Got done just in time to hoe weeds out of 60 acres of cherry trees....:confused:
wow thats some work for an 8N!

great little machines!!

I love the south, the culture the whole thing I love it, but that humidity is why I never moved.
I recall being Feb in Georgia and it was like 90% humidity and only 74 and felt like a 104 LOL

I love it too, almost all my family and friends still live there but I just can't live there anymore. I do love visiting in the winter and spring as the summer and fall will kill me:eek::eek::eek::p

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top