JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In all seriousness, despite the blue politics there are a lot of good people on that island. I hope that if this volcano doesn't calm down that they are all able to remain safe.

The only guy that was hurt was sitting on his porch had had lava splatter on his leg. Seems.... like he should not be hanging out on his porch if lava is close enough to splatter on his porch, but what do I know.

Everyone else had plenty of warning to leave and are in shelters now. There was one family that needed a helicopter to lift them out since lava blocked the only 2 roads to their place.

Why can't they just pump a bunch of sea water onto the encroaching lava, hardening it and creating a lava wall barrier around the power plant?

For that matter why couldn't someone build a two or three story concrete block structure ~20' x ~20' on their property... then come back in 3 or 4 years after the eruption has stopped and the lava has hardened and be the only ones on the block with a basement for their house?

That would cause steam explosions. That is happening at the crater now. the lava level drops because it is leaking out of fissures father down the volcano. The water from the water table seeps into the now empty volcano crater at the top and it causes an explosion.

Plus, if you put water on lava you get steam that is called Laze. Laze is steam plus hydrochloric acid from the sulfur dioxide gas and then bits of glass from the lava itself (think bits of obsidian). A cloud of super-heated acid with shards of glass in it. yikes

Someone did make a wall around their property with old lava rocks and it did divert flow protecting their house.

Why can't they just pump a bunch of sea water onto the encroaching lava, hardening it and creating a lava wall barrier around the power plant?

For that matter why couldn't someone build a two or three story concrete block structure ~20' x ~20' on their property... then come back in 3 or 4 years after the eruption has stopped and the lava has hardened and be the only ones on the block with a basement for their house?

You are talking about a force of nature that created the island, I don't think it works that way.

In my volcanology class back in college, my professor went through slides of volcanoes around the world, most in a phase of eruption, and they usually had another volcanologist in the photo. I want to say 50%, but it was prolly more like 1/3 would be followed with "he died on ...."

If a volcano and it's forces are coming your way, guess who usually wins?

The water is too dangerous and won't work.
The concrete wall could work under certain conditions.
But the real problem is do you have the money to spend on a barrier for a disaster that may not effect you? How big do you make the barrier? Will local zoning permit it? Will it even work? Is insurance cheaper?

.If a volcano and it's forces are coming your way, guess who usually wins?
Don't know, didn't watch. lol

upload_2018-5-22_18-6-56.jpeg

I think someone did leave their hose on once, on purpose, and it kinda did stop the lava.. but it totally surrounded their lone house.
They couldn't sell it and insurance wouldn't pay because it was undamaged.

If a volcano and it's forces are coming your way, guess who usually wins?

Its funny that my wife's family is freaking out. They live 20 miles from Mt St Helens and we live 80 miles from kilauea with 2 dormant volcanoes between us, one of which is 14000 ft high. We did not even feel the 6.9 earthquake.

St helen's pyroclastic flow was moving at 670 MPH but only went 5 miles. The lava here is moving at something like 600 meters an hour.

Its funny that my wife's family is freaking out. They live 20 miles from Mt St Helens and we live 80 miles from kilauea with 2 dormant volcanoes between us, one of which is 14000 ft high. We did not even feel the 6.9 earthquake.

St helen's pyroclastic flow was moving at 670 MPH but only went 5 miles. The lava here is moving at something like 600 meters an hour.
yeabut island life is slow so I figure half will die

Since the state is run by liberals I can't see why this is any problem at all. Just triple taxes on everyone. That always seems to be the liberal idea to fix EVERYTHING. They would in weeks have enough money to pay for anything they need according to their way of thinking.
LOL, I was thinking that a Volcano Tax would be in order and then I read your post.

like I said, the only injury was a guy sitting on his porch watching the lava go by and got hit with flying lava. That pretty much describes how life is out here. "I aint got no time to evacuate, brah"

WALK FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!:eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top