JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What does it take to bring a hunting rifle (e.g., Browning BLR) in for a few weeks of hunting?

Hunting license/etc. is probably too expensive for non-resident.

When I retire I am thinking of stopping in Hawaii for a few weeks on my way to NZ for the winter.
Firearms must be registered at local PD within 48 hours. Be prepared to spend a couple hours there doing it.

To hunt in Hawaii as a non-resident, you must have a Hunters Education Certification. One from another state works. You must provide a copy to the Hawaii DLNR. They will then prepare an authorization/exemption letter for you. You should do this ahead of time as everything runs on "Hawaiian Time". I did mine by mail. When you go to buy your license, you must show this letter. Showing your Hunter Ed card to the licensing agent doesn't work. Non-resident hunting license is $95 and tags are additional.

I used to hunt upland bird on Mauna Kea. Feral sheep when they were still there. I still wander back occasionally for Axis deer on Lanai.

What does it take to bring a hunting rifle (e.g., Browning BLR) in for a few weeks of hunting?

When I retire I am thinking of stopping in Hawaii for a few weeks on my way to NZ for the winter.
You have to register your guns within so many hours of arriving. Pay a fee with a cashiers check, stand in line at the police station, and wait while a grouchy minimum wage government clerk does their thing.

Hunting licenses are a pain, you have to take a three day course, which is probably only offered here.

LOL.....thanks to the gun laws, Democrats feel so much safer there vs when they are on the mainland.

And, thanks to the generous welfare, people from all over flock to Hawaii.

It's a utopia for Dems. Yeah......the Kenyan even claims to have been born there.

Sad to say it but.....if you're a conservative......it's better if you're just visiting.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Probably better off getting to know someone there and using there GUNS but you will still have to have Hunter safety card or just go fishing it's easier

Speaking of the octopus (aka: tako)...

I could go for some tako poke or some grilled tako with miso sauce. And, salt water fish is good too. Yeah.....

Aloha, Mark

MAHI MAHI SOME TARO and CORNED BEEF TUNA OLCA SOME PORK COOKED ALL NIGHT AND LOTS OF BEER sorry I forgot the sweet bread with the coconut milk sugar stuff on top lol for desert maybe some more beer lol TARO BAKED NOT POI

Last Edited:
Lol my stuff is more SAMOAN but still kinda the same I was with a Samoan girl for 17 years and a daughter that's half SAMOAN half me lol the polongie I still can't spell Polynesian words

It was smart leaving your guns. I'm kind of wishing that I had left mine. What part of the island are you on?
Im way up on the North end of the island. I wasnt going to register any firearms so I left them all behind. Not that I dont have stuff to make a firearm if I needed it.

Lets see. I see wild pig, turkey and quail almost every day going to work. The quail are idiots and play chicken with the cars all the time. I got a pair of pheasants on my land but they're kind of like family now. Occasional random wild chicken in the yard. I have not yet seen the fabled wild donkeys yet but not sure if you can hunt them. If you like wild goats they happily jump right in front of your car.

Not uncommon to have to wait while ~15 or so wild turkeys take their time crossing the road.

Baby luau for my son next month.
nice. my oldest son is almost old enough to where i can have him help and pass on the tradition. we dont do luau as often as we used to. a couple buddies of mine want my brother and i to do a couple pork shoulders and turkey this summer

EPS,

Don't forget the Leonard's Malasadas (or Ulu) for the Keiki(s).

And, since it's right about that time......
Pandesal (for our P.I. friends).
Maui manju (for our Asian friends).
King's Bakery Hawaiian Sweet Bread (for everyone).
With Kona Coffee.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Im way up on the North end of the island. I wasnt going to register any firearms so I left them all behind. Not that I dont have stuff to make a firearm if I needed it.

One of my last dives was up in your neck of the woods. We took off from light house and paddled two miles back towards Hawi.

9ECC36C2-A386-406A-BDCB-C43FE5C964EC.jpeg 6392C666-3E96-47A2-98B3-7312A6E13F47.jpeg When we were there in October we stopped at Leonard's for Malasadas and everyone enjoyed them!! When we were in Kona we had lunch at 808 Grindz. Fantastic food!!!

You have to register your guns within so many hours of arriving. Pay a fee with a cashiers check, stand in line at the police station, and wait while a grouchy minimum wage government clerk does their thing.

Hunting licenses are a pain, you have to take a three day course, which is probably only offered here.

Except that clerk is most assuredly not making minimum wage and probably has better retirement than you. It is gub'ment after all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top