JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Keep your sadness a secret.
In the early 1980s, one of AFOSI's "in-house" clinical psychologists gave a lengthy briefing to a training class that I attended. He spoke at length to the senior agents in attendance about all the reasons that we should not gut it out or go it alone if we're experiencing problems; instead, he urged us, "if you think you need help, then go get that help". In the last seconds of his presentation, he added this personal perspective, "but I'd go get that help from a civilian practitioner who has absolutely no connection to the U.S. military".

In the early 1980s, one of AFOSI's "in-house" clinical psychologists gave a lengthy briefing to a training class that I attended. He spoke at length to the senior agents in attendance about all the reasons that we should not gut it out or go it alone if we're experiencing problems; instead, he urged us, "if you think you need help, then go get that help". In the last seconds of his presentation, he added this personal perspective, "but I'd go get that help from a civilian practitioner who has absolutely no connection to the U.S. military".
After we deployed back to CONUS, no one in my unit fell for that BS "grief counseling" trap. We all knew it was the quickest way to get psych-evaled and discharged.

Last Edited:
Several years ago, while dealing with VA compensation, my DAV rep recommended I apply for disability from PTSD. Not just no, but ?!"@&$ no.

Yes, I experienced some less than pleasant things during my time, and every once in a while a memory or two comes back at the oddest moments - it's amazing how ingrained certain odors can become.

But I really didn't go through that much compared to thousands of others. Plus this effort to deny veterans, among others, the right to arms has been obvious for a long time. I'm not playing that game.

Several years ago, while dealing with VA compensation, my DAV rep recommended I apply for disability from PTSD. Not just no, but ?!"@&$ no.

Yes, I experienced some less than pleasant things during my time, and every once in a while a memory or two comes back at the oddest moments - it's amazing how ingrained certain odors can become.

But I really didn't go through that much compared to thousands of others. Plus this effort to deny veterans, among others, the right to arms has been obvious for a long time. I'm not playing that game.
The odor of feet and butt still ring in my nostrils…

In the early 1980s, one of AFOSI's "in-house" clinical psychologists gave a lengthy briefing to a training class that I attended. He spoke at length to the senior agents in attendance about all the reasons that we should not gut it out or go it alone if we're experiencing problems; instead, he urged us, "if you think you need help, then go get that help".
Yes.

In the last seconds of his presentation, he added this personal perspective, "but I'd go get that help from a civilian practitioner who has absolutely no connection to the U.S. military".
Abso-friggin-lutely.

I know the VA has helped some, but I won't go there.

I have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), but it is slight and a LOT of people have this. Vitamin D and getting outside more helps. Even with that, I don't seek any official treatment just because of the possible issues with gun permits/etc. - not to mention RBD (REM Sleep Behavior Disorder where I thrash about in my sleep).

Remember the notation of the one shooter who had Asperger's? Any slight issue like that and they can try to use it against you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top