JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My army-retirement gift is a lifetime of dreams; insurmountable military odds.

Not complaining by any means....actually feel fortunate.

One of my "required" readings when I was in the service was this fantastic book; about insurmountable military odds. I kept the book and required my subordinates to read it also...

The Defense of Dufer's Drift

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Defence_of_Duffer's_Drift

A timeless delimma; defending your's against insurmountable odds....so, I highly recommend this book to any person interested in strategy, tactics, or training.

220px-The_Defence_of_Duffer's_Drift_cover.jpg

Finally, I suggest paying close attention to the lessons in your dreams....;)

Deeply sorry that you carry dreams of heavy combat with you. I hope they lessen with time! We can, indeed, learn from our dreams! I had some military dreams after I left Korea, but they only concerned infiltrators and heavy machine gun fire from long range. The kind of stuff I dealt with over there. Thank goodness they weren't horrible! I can't, really, imagine what you describe!
I'll check out the book! Never heard of it.

Remember! "Time wounds all heels!" ;)

Thank you for your long career of serving and protecting us all, Oathkeeper! Your handle fits you! SRG

When my boys went to the sandbox, I read a lot and watched a lot of YouTube videos regarding combat action. A lot of videos. A lot of graphic videos.We recounted some of these situations they were in, and I felt I had to put myself in that situation, even at the risk of giving my self some issues, which would have been minor compared to what our combat veterans have experienced and as much as I could to try and even come close to understanding being shot at and blown up.

I was an EMT II Firefighter for eight years and worked part time at a funeral home for 15 years. I have seen a lot, but nothing compares to combat trauma and injuries.

During my days in the ICU with my toxic mega colon resection, they gave me some pretty powerful drugs, and the hallucinations were beyond belief and understanding. One involved me being held hostage by some aholes somewhere for some reason, and my boys came to get me. They had a team action, distractions and a very violent and bloody offensive action that killed off my captors and freed me. Pretty powerful emotions and very hard to relate back, but I did to them and they said they would have exactly done it that way.

I guess my mind went back to the group trainings we had done and that came through, very traumatic for me and I was ranting on about it in the hospital until they doped me up some more.

Never underestimate the pull of family in your life.

It's been over 24 years now since I went to war. The dreams are rare nowadays, and seem to return when something triggers memories. Nothing really traumatic, and I usually return to "normal" after I realize where I am and that I'm no longer in the Corps.

I remember that book from when I served, and IIRC, it was on our recommended/required reading list, for NCOs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top