JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am having to frantically "de-gun" the house today.

I had forgotten up until this morning that we were having a visit from the state regarding our adoption of our current son and the placement of our second son.

Now I am not only having to run around and tidy up, but I am having to remove all firearm related stuff. I never leave guns out. They are always either on me or locked away, but there are gun cases sitting on tables, holsters in bowls and on counters, loose rounds in a dish on the coffee table (from when I last cleaned a range gun), and gun mags (both the type that hold ammo and the type made of paper) laying about.

I need to get busy since they will be here at 4pm.

It's actually quite sad that we have to "hide" our second amendment right to conform to today's society. I remember going to my grandpas house when I was a kid and just staring in ahh at the 2 rifles hanging over the fireplace.

But, as with everything else these days, I feel your pain pbp.

My kids are old enough that I don't have this problem but i do have a nephew that visits with my sister so I have a gun safe and a lockable gun closet for all the stuff that doesn't need to be in a safe.

We have a recent addition to the family. He's almost to the point of being able to walk now. Since I'm not working now I get to keep him a couple of days a week. Have to be sure that when I take my gun off, it goes in a "safer" place than normal. Never had to worry about that before!

We have a recent addition to the family. He's almost to the point of being able to walk now. Since I'm not working now I get to keep him a couple of days a week. Have to be sure that when I take my gun off, it goes in a "safer" place than normal. Never had to worry about that before!

It really is a big change that takes some getting used to.

Yep. When I was young back in the 1950's successful men always had a prominent rifle rack or gun cabinet openly displayed in the living room. Visitors were welcome to observe, admire, and even handle with permission the proud owner's guns. One friend had a wall plaque to hang each of his many pistols on the walls. Even poor folks usually had at least a mounted rack of antlers holding up a beater rifle or two, and every farmer had a shotgun next to the door, not hidden behind it. Cheeze, nowadays somebody would probably call the SWAT Team if they saw that!..........................elsullo

It's actually quite sad that we have to "hide" our second amendment right to conform to today's society. I remember going to my grandpas house when I was a kid and just staring in ahh at the 2 rifles hanging over the fireplace.

But, as with everything else these days, I feel your pain pbp.

Yep. When I was young back in the 1950's successful men always had a prominent rifle rack or gun cabinet openly displayed in the living room. Visitors were welcome to observe, admire, and even handle with permission the proud owner's guns. One friend had a wall plaque to hang each of his many pistols on the walls. Even poor folks usually had at least a mounted rack of antlers holding up a beater rifle or two, and every farmer had a shotgun next to the door, not hidden behind it. Cheeze, nowadays somebody would probably call the SWAT Team if they saw that!..........................elsullo
If I looked in and saw all those nice guns adorning the walls I would not call the authorities. I would just wait for you to leave so I could sneak in and play with them. Oh, and probably lie naked in your bed and lick all your silverware while I was in there. Gotta make the effort worthwhile you know. ;)

I am having to frantically "de-gun" the house today.

I had forgotten up until this morning that we were having a visit from the state regarding our adoption of our current son and the placement of our second son.

Now I am not only having to run around and tidy up, but I am having to remove all firearm related stuff. I never leave guns out. They are always either on me or locked away, but there are gun cases sitting on tables, holsters in bowls and on counters, loose rounds in a dish on the coffee table (from when I last cleaned a range gun), and gun mags (both the type that hold ammo and the type made of paper) laying about.

I need to get busy since they will be here at 4pm.

Really doubt you have much to worry about. Guns in the Northwest are common place and many households have them. All my friends own guns and most of my work associates tell me they do too. So it isn't like they will find something unusual for the area. Plus they would have to show some sort of violent intent linked to the guns like maybe some internet threats or something. I am sure you could get it all worked out over a cup of coffee.

jj

I would hope someone would look at that as you are a better, safer, and more responsible parent..

I do understand, thats not how our society works these days. :(
I like to think I am all of those things, but the usually looks of disgust from our son as he rolls his eyes at how stupid I am make me wonder. Now that he is legally free and in the adoption process (no longer a foster child) I can actually show his pic. Here is his "are you really this lame" face that his is usually giving me.

IMAG0240.jpg

I like to think I am all of those things, but the usually looks of disgust from our son as he rolls his eyes at how stupid I am make me wonder. Now that he is legally free and in the adoption process (no longer a foster child) I can actually show his pic. Here is his usually "are you really this lame" face that his is usually giving me.
AH, the joys of parenting :s0114: We don't have kids ourselves but I sure know that look from my nephs, nieces, & kids of friends. It's a law that kids in that age range are required to roll their eyes in horror at everything their parents do...

Get used to the "are you really this lame" face !
Mark Twain said something like this:
"When I was 14 I thought my father was the stupidest man alive. By the time I was 21 I was amazed at how much he had learned."

Really doubt you have much to worry about. Guns in the Northwest are common place and many households have them. All my friends own guns and most of my work associates tell me they do too. So it isn't like they will find something unusual for the area. Plus they would have to show some sort of violent intent linked to the guns like maybe some internet threats or something. I am sure you could get it all worked out over a cup of coffee.

jj
Awe see the problem is Playboy lives in Portland. You know that gooey anti gun society in the middle.

Good luck - we went partially through the process to become foster parents. It's amazing all of the things they look for. They were concerned about the (small) stream running through our property. It helps if you have a good caseworker - are you going through an agency or directly through the State?

Good luck - we went partially through the process to become foster parents. It's amazing all of the things they look for. They were concerned about the (small) stream running through our property. It helps if you have a good caseworker - are you going through an agency or directly through the State?

Directly through the state with both. Zyler is legally free and we are already in the final stages with his adoption. The new kid is in the early stages. We have not even had visitations yet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top