JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Very frustrated!

I was having every sort of error with my Kimber Solo....FTF, FTE, slide locking back before mag was empty, firing pin connecting but not firing.....So I sent it into Kimber and waited SIX MONTHS for them to fix it and send it back to me. Parts were on "back order", apparently. They replaced just about everything but the frame.....trigger assembly, barrel, slide, safety, recoil springs, etc etc....sent it back to me...

....and it still doesn't work.

It fixed some of the errors, but I'm still getting the slide locking back prematurely and some spent cartridges remaining in the chamber while trying to load the next round...

I've used 4 different kinds of self defense ammo (Hydra Shok in different grains, Gold Dot Speer, Hornaday), even more types of FMJ's....115gr to 147gr, +p and not. Nothing feeds reliably. Gun is spotlessly clean and lubed as per the instruction manual....I've even given it to my friends in case it was my shooting style that was causing the problems...

Anyone have any suggestions? I really like the feel and size of the Solo....but if I can't depend on it, it isn't worth anything.

Buddy of mine bought a brand new Solo, was on the waiting list for months. He and his son both. They picked them up on the same day. Son's functions great, his does not. Same problems as the OP. He hasn't send it back to Kimber yet. The slide will jam back just cycling it and not engaging the slide lock. Sorry to hear about your luck, I know Kimber's can be picky, but this seems down right boarding on a lemon.

and they only recommend using premium ammo, screw that. if a gun is going to restrict my usage by quality and weight, i cant trust my life to it.

and they only recommend using premium ammo, screw that. that is not a good design then.

I'm beginning to think so.

I read such good reviews before I got mine....now.....well, very disappointed.

I'm on a waiting list for a S&W Shield.

Still have hopes to fix the Solo....it really is very nice, when it works.....

like I said, only way/best way is send it back to manufacture for repair. (make sure they pay for the shipping)

and yes, I know how you feel about buying bad guns.

Very frustrated!

I was having every sort of error with my Kimber Solo....FTF, FTE, slide locking back before mag was empty, firing pin connecting but not firing.....So I sent it into Kimber and waited SIX MONTHS for them to fix it and send it back to me. Parts were on "back order", apparently. They replaced just about everything but the frame.....trigger assembly, barrel, slide, safety, recoil springs, etc etc....sent it back to me...

....and it still doesn't work.

It fixed some of the errors, but I'm still getting the slide locking back prematurely and some spent cartridges remaining in the chamber while trying to load the next round...

I've used 4 different kinds of self defense ammo (Hydra Shok in different grains, Gold Dot Speer, Hornaday), even more types of FMJ's....115gr to 147gr, +p and not. Nothing feeds reliably. Gun is spotlessly clean and lubed as per the instruction manual....I've even given it to my friends in case it was my shooting style that was causing the problems...

Anyone have any suggestions? I really like the feel and size of the Solo....but if I can't depend on it, it isn't worth anything.

I have a Kimber Solo and love it. Did you strip and clean the gun after you got it back from the factory? If you did and were not carefull about hooking the small spring on the takedown pin that would cause exactly the problems you are having. do a quick Google search and carefully reassemble the gun.
I was not aware of this the first time that I stripped mine and was caught by this.
When I bought mine used I think the owner had not correctly assembled it and was expierencing the same frustration you now deal with.
A careful clean and no lube , it runs perfect. Never a failure of anykind and I feed it all kinds of junk.
after 250 - 300 rounds I would trust it with my life.

Gary C

Have you concidered buying a Springfield XDS? Half the price, 45 ACP it eats everything! Give it a look.

I have, actually. I can't find one locally in stock to play with. But I'm pulled more toward the Shield than the XDs....not that I can find one of those either.
I love my XDm! It's the gun that sits next to my bed at night.

I have a Kimber Solo and love it. Did you strip and clean the gun after you got it back from the factory? If you did and were not carefull about hooking the small spring on the takedown pin that would cause exactly the problems you are having. do a quick Google search and carefully reassemble the gun.
I was not aware of this the first time that I stripped mine and was caught by this.
When I bought mine used I think the owner had not correctly assembled it and was expierencing the same frustration you now deal with.
A careful clean and no lube , it runs perfect. Never a failure of anykind and I feed it all kinds of junk.
after 250 - 300 rounds I would trust it with my life.

Gary C

I feel really dumb....I did NOT know about that small spring. Even did some brief internet searching before I made the topic. I believe I have it installed correctly now and need to head back out to the range to do some testing. I'm sure this will get rid of the magazine locking back before an empty mag....I'm hoping it will get rid of the FTE's as well. Thank you for your reply!

This is my carry weapon, so scratches and such don't bother me....but how in the world are you supposed to install this without getting an "idiot scratch" on the frame from the takedown pin??! Having to hook that tiny spring seems to make this quite the problem....well...it would...if I cared about the finish...

So I'm both happy and embarrassed to report that I took it out to test today after assembling it correctly....and it did awesome. Not one malfunction in the 100ish rounds of self defense ammo (which was spendy...) including Gold Dot (124gr), Hydra Shok(124 and 147 varieties), whatever Winchester stuff I found at Big5 (124gr), and Corbon (Which happened to be 115gr but worked just fine).

The only time I had a jam was when I tried to use some 115gr Remington UMC's for "scientific purposes". 1 jam in a magazine. Meh....annoying but not critical.

So thanks to all who replied, and I urge anyone that's having a problem to carefully examine the situation before declaring they have malfunctioning equipment....otherwise you'll end up looking silly. :eek:

that spring issue is a common problem... glad that's all it is...

mine shoots cheap 124gr ammo no problem. 115gr will jam/ftf/fte

watch out for barrel lug peening. mine did that and they replaced the entire upper and now it's great...

great shooter...