JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i don't need one at this time but always wondered who to contact if involved in a self defense shooting. Is there a list of possible lawyers to call/contact on this site one could have at the ready? Are there any lawyers on this forum that can handle such a situation? I think it would be nice to have such information at your fingertips after a very stressful situation. Have read in many places about not saying anything until you have a lawyer present after a shooting. it be nice to have that information to make a fast phone call to get representation. Because I'm thinking one wrong word or phrase could get you in to deep trouble.

Last Edited:
This guy is pretty popular.. even has his own TV show and stuff.

upload_2018-7-15_19-55-13.jpeg

Look into Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network or USCCA. An ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure.
The best part of being a USCCA card carrying member is you stop seeing all the daily emails for their advertising you got before signing on the dotted line. I know who I want to represent me if something ever happens, and they will happily write the checks to that firm.

I wouldn't buy any legal insurance. The chances of you having to use it is so slim that you're better off just self-insuring by putting away a couple bucks here and there. When you end up not needing it, you can buy a boat or take a vacation or something.

Now is the time to search, not after. For the cost of a case of ammo, find a good attorney versed in use of force issues and sit down with them and go over the legalities of a confrontation, before, during and the aftermath. Usually the first hour is free.

Hopefully the groups mentioned above might be able to put you touch with someone local.

I'm a member of the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. I simply call him and he worries about everything else. He will even fly right to you and provide counsel ASAP.

Call 911
Call wife
Call ACLDN

BTW, Acldn is not prw-paid legal defense. Rather, it is a group--a network, if you will--of other like-minded gun folks who have banded to pool their money. The group is insured, too, but the actual money for defense comes out of the fund that has grown. This way, the fund is free to actually pay for all expenses, as compared to the programs that reimburse you only after a successful legal battle.

I can't say enough good things about it. Second Call Defense, for example, has levels of coverage. ACLDN covers everything for everybody.

i don't need one at this time but always wondered who to contact if involved in a self defense shooting. Is there a list of possible lawyers to call/contact on this site one could have at the ready? Are there any lawyers on this forum that can handle such a situation? I think it would be nice to have such information at your fingertips after a very stressful situation. Have read in many places about not saying anything until you have a lawyer present after a shooting. it be nice to have that information to make a fast phone call to get representation. Because I'm thinking one wrong word or phrase could get you in to deep trouble.

I know you posted this for Oregon, but as with most professions there's a network. An option for finding an attorney in Oregon, is to contact those I posted and ask for a referral attorney in Oregon.

I joined the uscca, prices were reasonable. We used to have legal shield through wife's work but she lost her job. They covered my wife for a small bump more in membership costs.

Now I just need to get signed up with another identity theft protection, my wife's sister just got screwed over by identity theft.

Scary stuff

I wouldn't buy any legal insurance. The chances of you having to use it is so slim that you're better off just self-insuring by putting away a couple bucks here and there. When you end up not needing it, you can buy a boat or take a vacation or something.

Um...do you have any idea how expensive attorneys are?

You are likely looking at a $30K-$50K retainer just to get an attorney to represent you for a self defense shooting. And that's just to get him started. So yea, if you've got that kind of money sitting around...and you can back it up with another $100K-$200K if needed, then by all means, self insure. Most people, however, don't have those types of resources. And it would likely take most people a decade or more to achieve that by "putting away a couple bucks here and there."

When you're evaluating insurance programs, make sure you read the fine print. You want to avoid reimbursement type programs. The NRA's insurance is this type. Under their program you need to front the bulk of the money for your defense. Then if you are found innocent, you will get reimbursed. If you had the resources to be able to front that type of money, you probably wouldn't need the insurance in the first place.

Here's a pretty good video that goes over some of the basics of carry insurance. Andrew Branca is very highly regarded when it comes to self defense law. His book, "The Law of Self Defense" is worth a read in my opinion. It's a pretty dry topic but it's got a lot of good info on how to keep yourself out of jail. I think it was about $10 on Amazon for the electronic version. Note that I'm not affiliated in any way. Just sharing information.

I always carry USCCA insurance. For those who say "Oh just self insure - put a couple of bucks away" - I'm paying $30 per month for my carry insurance. It covers a lot more than just the legal fees as well. To save enough cash to cover the average cost of killing someone in the state of Oregon would take about 119 years squirreling away $30 per month.

I know this was published by the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network, and it is long, but it is good reading.

It puts into perspective everything a law abiding citizen can look forward to, if you ever need to pull your CCW and shoot someone.

Attachments

• Hickey_Booklet.pdf
    743 KB · Views: 231

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR