JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a taurus 85chult the 38 special ultra light and the first time out shooting it it wouldn't cycle or the cylinder would sieze up, I found out the firing pin return spring was jammed up so I fixed that but now Im still having issues with it cycling properly. It will jam at least 2 rounds out of 5. its very frustrating being that the gun is brand new. has any one else had this problem or know where I can go next to fix it. it seems the cases are backing out or just too close to the frame and getting stuck

A question about the ammo, I have seen this on a revolver where the ammo was reload and the primers were not fully seated. Can you duplicate the issue by cycling it unloaded? Can you feel the edge of the primers on the ammo that was in the gun when it seized?

Id really like to avoid sending it in to taurus and having to wait if I can try to fix it my self, Id be worried that they would send it back half *** fixed and me still be disappointed.

the ammo I used were reloads and Winchester. they seem to cycle just fine after they were shot already but a few of the rounds still seem to bind a little bit (not to the point of how they were when first fired.

Try swiping your fingertip across the base of the cartridge, specifically on the cases that seem to drag, and see if you feel the primer edge. If you do then that primer is not fully seated and will bind the cylinder during operation. That ammo gets chucked and your problem will be solved.

It sounds like an ammo issue if the cases jammed when charged and cycle fine after being discharged. Using a box of factory new ammo to test the firearm would be my direction. A freshly purchased box of a different brand than what you have used so far, Bi-Mart Remington/UMC for instance, would be my move.

nothing seems to be sticking out more then normal. I first thought it was the reloads thats why I bought the winchester ammo but Iv heard that it is garbage from a few friends now, Ill try one more box but I feel like the issue is something else, it will only do it after one shot is fired, if all new rounds are loaded in it the cylinder spins freely.

also there is a very very slight bur in the hole where the firing pin comes out of. I think that it might be making it lock up a little bit.

Did you disassemble and clean the gun before you shot it? It is recommended that you clean out Taurus pistols before you shoot them. Taurus packs them in some sort of cosmoline at the factory. That would be my first step. If not I'd call Taurus and have them fix it. Most of the time I hear they will pay shipping both ways if you ask for it.

I had the same type of experience with a Rossi a few years ago. I cleaned it and it was good to go.

no but since the first time I shot it Iv cleaned it thoroughly about 3 times and I found a few aluminum shavings in some of the springs and what not, it seems like each time I shoot it it does alot better so Im just gonna try to get about another 100 rounds through it this weekend of anything but what Iv been using and see if that will fix it.

It MIGHT be a result of using too heavy of a bullet in such a light gun. What happens sometimes, is the bullet pulls out of the case in the non-firing cylinders as the gun recoils. Some manufacturers suggest you limit bullet weight in light revolvers. A heavier crimp when reloading, or following manufacturer's recommendations for bullet weight might cure the problem.

Use your caliper to measure oal before and after firing to see if the bullet has pulled.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top