JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, for about the 7th time, I got another 870, this time it's an 870P. I'm trying to get it set up for HD duty. In the past I've gotten kinda frustrated with the 870s in the past because I can't get them just right, and I don't know why! This one has a 20" barrel with tritium rifle sights and Choat +3 extension, other than that it is stock. I'm already kinda wondering about the 20" barrel, cause I've always thought 18" was too long. I need a new stock, so I'm planning on a Speedfeed II or a Hogue Overmolded. I'm not a little guy, so I need a full length stock...I've tried the Speedfeed IV-S and the Hogue Youth...They aren't for me! I also want to put a light on it. The Surefire forends are a little too bulky for me...I've tried them... I've also tried a Mesa rail/barrel clamp with a rail, and a Surefire Scout light...made the gun feel too "wide", just like the 3 or 4 Side Saddles I've tried to convince myself I would like...and am thinking about doing again.

All said and done, this is what I want -

*Compact HD/Camp shotgun
*Simple!
*Light (not weight wise)
*Reliable

My question is, how did you guys get here? I don't want to go back to relying on my Glock 23/Surefire X300 combo for HD, again......

First things first.
Big guys struggle with length, It's just a fact of life, dictated by ergonomics and the need to position certain key body parts in relation to sightline etc., and leverage, swing, operating the action etc.
You could always go the NFA route I suppose, with less shell capacity, or go with a box mag gun AND a <18" barrel.
But your size will dictate LOP regardless.

I understand about the width issue though. I abandoned things that hang off the sides of everything forward of the buttstock, and went back to a slip-on shell holder for my extras. It's tucked up between my right forearm and chest/shoulder when in the shooting position, and offers less obstruction to gripping everything at other times.

Other than that, I'm not sure I grasp what the issue is.
Is it speed of handling?
Are you having trouble hitting with it?
Does the drop (heel and comb) not fit you, and is preventing you from acquiring a good sight picture?

When I went from a full length waterfowl gun to an HD setup, I had to burn many boxes of shells before I got as comfortable, accurate and reliable with it, as I was with my old Wingmaster. (with a 30" VR barrel) 30+ years of habits and familiarities are hard to break.
But handling and shooting it extensively was what it took to demonstrate to myself what actually worked for me, and what didn't. I had to get "back to basics" to get rid of the cumbersome feeling I had built into my HD shotty. I found that simple works best for me, but then again, I found years ago that the 870 fits me best to begin with, and ergonomics are pretty much spot on with regard to sight picture, LOP, fore end reach, weight etc.
I can also rely on muscle memory for operation, sighting etc, after using one for 40+ years now.

For instance, I love carrying and shooting a speedfeed type pistol-grip stock, but reality dictates that I forgo that for handling's sake. I get it hung up on things, it makes the gun too "tall" top to bottom, and changes the way I bring the gun to the ready position. As long as I reached for the gun right handed, and grabbed the pistol-grip early in the process I was fine. In situations where I couldn't, it often became more of a hindrance than a benefit.
I also found that I was so accustomed to a VR barrel, that I was better off keeping that, as opposed to going with rifle type sights, and I snag/hang the VR up less than a tall foresight when I'm in a hurry.

As for the light, I would love one that extends straight out from the mag tube extension, but I haven't found one I like yet, and with a 20" barrel and a 3 shell extension, there is no barrel left over to hang the light from.

Good luck in your quest, and keep shooting.

I went simple

870sideview2_zps40a9c354.jpg

Remington 870 Wingmaster 2.75"
20" cheapy Cylinder Bore barrel
ATI 3rd Mag extension
I used a stock Foreend which I turned down on my lathe to the shape of a Corn Cob foreend
I cut the butt stock down to result in a 12" pull (fast to the shoulder)
Used the stock bead front sight

I still have the Coast HP G20 fixed beam LED flashlight onto the side of the gun between the mag ext and the barrel. But I'll get around to it.

I wanted a good looking gun that would preform

I have an 870 for HD. I run a 20" barrel, extension tube, and Magpul furniture with a rail on the Magpul forearm for a Surefire light and a side mount shell holder. I also have a breacher / flash hider on the barrel that looks like a keyhole saw on steroids. All loaded up with 00buck.

Looks evil and shoots great.

Jamie - Thanks for the long response. The issue I'm having is, the gun gets too cluttered up with stuff, I feel, or, it doesn't have what I feel it needs on it. I haven't found a "clean" way to get what I want. I can hit what I aim at, and the speed isn't that big of a deal. The last 870P I had, had ghost ring sights on it, they were terrible. So yea, in that case, I couldn't get a good sight picture. I'm really liking these rifle sights so far. I'll know for sure if I like them, this afternoon, cause I'm headed out in an hour to shoot.

Mark - That's a good looking gun, I had one that looked a lot like it. Bought it at Keith's, it was a trade in from Josephine County SO. I wish I still had it. I love what you did with the forend, how much do ya want to make me one? I have a wood express forend laying around! The short LOP just doesn't work for me, it feels like I'm shooting a kids BB gun.

Simon - Sounds like a good set up. I held a gun with the Magpul set up, and personally I didn't like it, but I guess I'm hard to please haha

I see that Surefire has come out with a new style forend, it looks like they slimmed it down a lot! I think I'm gonna be trying one. Kinda a lot to spend on hopes and dreams of it feeling good, but oh well...

RedneckRampage With my list of stuff to do around the house and my work schedule it could be after the first of the year before I could work on any shop project. You can find a Corn Cob foreend on eBay for about what I would have to have to scratch build one.

Mark - That's understandable. Thanks haha

I just got home from shooting. Put 250rds of bird shot through the 870, 25rds for buck shot and 25 slugs. Thing shoots awesome. From *about* 40 yards, I shot 9 slugs into a 9" group, shooting pretty fast. Also put a whole mag (13rds) from my Glock, into a 6" group (with a flyer) at 25'.

I think all in gunna go is put a nicer stock on it and a new style Surefire forend, and call it good for now.

I went simple

870sideview2_zps40a9c354.jpg

Remington 870 Wingmaster 2.75"
20" cheapy Cylinder Bore barrel
ATI 3rd Mag extension
I used a stock Foreend which I turned down on my lathe to the shape of a Corn Cob foreend
I cut the butt stock down to result in a 12" pull (fast to the shoulder)
Used the stock bead front sight

Similar to mine, except 3" chamber, 21" VR barrel with Tru-Chokes.

Jamie - Thanks for the long response. The issue I'm having is, the gun gets too cluttered up with stuff, I feel, or, it doesn't have what I feel it needs on it. I haven't found a "clean" way to get what I want. I can hit what I aim at, and the speed isn't that big of a deal. The last 870P I had, had ghost ring sights on it, they were terrible. So yea, in that case, I couldn't get a good sight picture. I'm really liking these rifle sights so far. I'll know for sure if I like them, this afternoon, cause I'm headed out in an hour to shoot.
Clutter is definitely the issue for me, so in that we agree.
I'm glad the sights are working out for you, and from the way your second post reads, you're hittin' with it!
First and foremost, that's the main thing.
I like Mark's "corn cob" fore end too, so I may try to track one down.

My quest for a light will continue, and if I find one that I feel doesn't add to the "clutter," I'll holler.

I have found that a cut down vent rib barrel with a Bradley front bead and a center bead work nicely, the rib is more of a sighting aid than most give it credit for.

It seems as if you have a length of pull issue, and possibly a training issue.

As far as length of pull, find some one who knows SHOTGUN pad installation, not the same as rifles. let them fit you. I prefer the pachmeyer decelerator SC100 pad.

as everyone is different, the stock may require some refitting too.

as far as training, too many folks mount and shoot a shotgun as if it were a rifle. For field use try this, instead of mounting the gun and shooting across your body (chest), mount it nearly perpindicular to your body (chest). You will find it much easier to swing the gun left and right instead of just right.

titsonritz - Thanks for the reply, and offer on the stock. I think I'm gunna wind up going with something with a shorter LOP. Call me old school or just stubborn, but I don't like Magpul anything...hate the looks, and think it's kinda hoaky, even if it does work, it's not going on my guns lol.

I ended up dropping the LOP on my 870 and my mossberg 500... I bought the hogue tactical stocks. At first I was like "WTF...?" when a buddy of mine installed one on his, and then I was like "oh yea, I could get used to this". Bear in mind... I am a big guy, 6'7 at about 280. Despite my long arms, the short stock handles really well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top