JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It cost me $20 plus tax to make my own 22lr silencers. You night want to try it. It is easy to bring them with when going to another state.

If my efforts to make silencer use in WA legal do not work in several years, then I will leave the state.

Ranb

I'm interested to see a write up on that.

Can you be more specific?

Ranb
Suppressors for so cheap. I mean I understand the concepts etc of them but applying them and making them functional is the mystery.

I guess I just need to do more reading.

A good silencer is as simple as a straight pass car muffler. While it is possible to find some still made with mesh or wipes (rubber disks) the best and most durable use aluminum, steel or titanium baffles. A one by six inch tube with flat washers for baffles separated by spacers will work for a 22lr silencer. It may reduce noise intensity by 20 decibels (100 times) or a factor of 4 times less loudness. Use cone shaped baffles or those shaped like a K and effectiveness can be increased to 30 decibels (1000 times) or 8 times less loudness.

Some people stamp baffles from sheet metal, I machine mine from bar stock to obtain a long 60 degree cone that makes gas flow through the silencer very turbulent resulting in very effective suppression. While a lathe is needed to make the baffles, it is very easy to learn. I learned to operate a metal lathe while making my first silencer.

baffles.jpg

Smooth cones and K baffles are easy to make. My next few silencers will be made with step cones for more turbulence and possibly better suppression.

22lrsuppressor-1.jpg

p-22.jpg

Ranb

Wow, thanks a bunch.
I guess I need to learn how to operate a lathe now.... or go the easy route and buy one.

They do look easy to make though, but I can't make one out of wood which is the kind of tools I have in my garage. Quick question why is the gamo silenced pellet gun legal in washington to use and not a firearm? just curious

Air rifles are not legally firearms. WA only bans use of a device that reduces the report of a firearm. I can legally use a silencer on an air rifle in WA, but it is only effective on those with a high pressure pre-charged canister or less effectively on a powerful spring air rifle.

The ATF defines a silencer as anything intended to reduce the muzzle report of a firearm. The Gamo whisper and other devices like it are an integral part of the air rifle, in other words, the only way to remove it is to cut it off, which destroys it in the process. This is the only way it can be owned in the USA without a license or paying the $200 tax. There are a few websites that talk about this.

Ranb

Ranb make me one! you are the man!

I can HELP you make one on my lathe, but you first need to obtain an approved ATF form 1. This is a routine matter and I have never heard of the ATF denying approval to anyone who fills out the forms correctly. I have been approved 8 out of 8 times so far.

I have shot a ruger 10/22 with an AAC silencer. From the shooter's position, the bolt clacking back and forth was louder than the pop from the muzzle. My silencer is a bit louder than the AAC one I shot. I am certain the Israeli silencer pictured above is much larger than is required. Check out http://www.silencertalk.com for one of the best forums on silencers.

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top