JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
See the attached photos. Tried to decap this 9mm from a batch of several thousand I recently purchased (1X-fired).

Decapping pin would not remove the primer. Headstamp says it's Lapua Finland. Are there some brass that CAN'T be reloaded like this? I'm glad I hadn't really clamped down on the sleeve that holds the decapping pin.

View attachment 598517 View attachment 598518

You can easily I'd BERDAN prime by the 2 holes next to the center primer pocket .

. I only found it when I tried to decap and it drove the pin up in the die. That caught my attention!

You dodged a bullet there! My first berdan primed case broke the pin on a RCBS die... now I have a stock of extra decap pins. But I don't force it, if it takes that much pressure, I stop and take a look. Since I used to pick a lot of range brass, I run into problem cases once in awhile. I've learned to toss anything with a red circle around the primer too!

I found several brass rounds with red on the base. Not all were Berdan, though, since I was able to decap them with no problem.

I tried a different approach during my decapping after finding that Berdan round. I dropped the decapping pin further toward the press base, so it would only take a "light tap" on the handle to remove all other pins, since the brass and was not under the friction of the die body (I do not have a Universal Decapping Die). That helped me easily determine if a primer needed more pressure than normal. If felt, I would not apply more pressure that could possibly break my decapping pin. It was not the best solution, but it worked "in a pinch".

You dodged a bullet there! My first berdan primed case broke the pin on a RCBS die... now I have a stock of extra decap pins. !

I have lee carbide set for 45ACP which has its decapping punch held in a collet so if there is an obstruction like a piece of gravel or even a Berdan primer, it will not break the pin, just slides it up. It works! Wished all my dies were that way.

That's the same brand as my 9mm dies. I switched from RCBS (non-carbide) to Carbide Lee 4-Die Sets with the Factory Crimp Die. I love those. No more stuck brass and having to lube all my brass. I know, "opinions vary". :D

That's the same brand as my 9mm dies. I switched from RCBS (non-carbide) to Carbide Lee 4-Die Sets with the Factory Crimp Die. I love those. No more stuck brass and having to lube all my brass. I know, "opinions vary". :D
I wish I could say "no more" but with 13 die sets, and only two are carbide, At my age, it would be hard to justify replacing them.
Were I starting out in life, I would not buy a die that was not carbide. One could easily amortize the difference with labor savings.
If you load a lot, and your wife starts to wriggle at the price, say it frees up more time for chores!:rolleyes:

I found several brass rounds with red on the base. Not all were Berdan, though, since I was able to decap them with no problem.

Granted I don't have as much experience reloading as some here. Sellier & Bellot has had red on the case head. S&B is also extremely hard brass and you'll notice it in sizing. I have separated S&B from other more pliable brass because of that. 9mm , if you didn't know, is a very slightly tapered case so it feels different on the down stroke from true straight-wall cases, .38/.357, .45, .40 . etc.

Simply install a expander die in the press, fill the case with water and run it up into the expander die.
You can also find a short steel or brass rod that will fit the case snugly, drill a hole in a block of wood for the case to nest in and drill a smaller hole in the center all the way through for water and the primer to escape.
Dip the case in water, set in the wood block, insert the rod and a light tap blows the primer out.
I once deprimed a bunch of Berdan 9mm cases for some 'one time' field ammo I was shooting while on the move and did not want to stop and pick up.
Its not a huge PITA but with 9mm brass being essentially 'free' most don't mess with it.

Granted I don't have as much experience reloading as some here. Sellier & Bellot has had red on the case head. S&B is also extremely hard brass and you'll notice it in sizing. I have separated S&B from other more pliable brass because of that. 9mm , if you didn't know, is a very slightly tapered case so it feels different on the down stroke from true straight-wall cases, .38/.357, .45, .40 . etc.
I have found several S&B brass as well as some WCC, and WIN that had red-painted primers. The S&B and WCC seemed to be the toughest to decap, perhaps due to a smaller primer hole.

That's a good idea to separate the S&B, since there might be quite a few. Thanks for the idea.

The S&B and WCC seemed to be the toughest to decap, perhaps due to a smaller primer hole.

I don't think the "Flash Hole" or the "Primer Cup" being undersized are the reason for more resistance when resizing. Just "my" feeling..... It has to do with more brittle/thicker brass. However, S&B brass it's also harder to seat primers. They kind of, POP in, and then it takes a little more effort to seat them fully.

I've done more 9mm on the RCBS single stage than anything else. It's kind of a game....Smooooth, easy, resize/decap= Blazer Brass. Really have to reef on the handle= S&B, CBC, Perfecta, GFL maybe. and then some headstamps are easy sometimes and harder others. shrug

Yep. You're probably right.

And FWIW, after depriming and tumbling over 3500 rounds this week, I only had ONE Berdan round!

How lucky can a guy get? Now I have over 3500 "my little pretties" just waiting for me to load up. Now I'm bored! :)

I have seen the hole in the primer pocket off center before and chucked the brass in the scrape brass bucket.

I also got one piece of 9mm "AMMO LOAD" that had a step inside the case. I'm sure it wouldn't of been good on the resizing die.
I think I still have it, if I do I will post a picture of it.

20181217_191756.jpg 20181217_191740.jpg

This picture shows the internal step.
20190711_180252.jpg

Last Edited:
I pick up a lot of range brass at the gravel pit I take my grandson to shoot at. Out of thousands of 9mm cases this is the only one I have ever seen so I kept it.
Last time out shooting I picked up some 7.62 x 51 brass.
72 pieces had Baridian Primers
356 pieces had Boxer Primers. All this 308 brass came from the same guy that was shooting a AR10.

one of these days i will try sell a bunch of brass off and buy my grandson a handgun.

The hydraulic method of removing berdan primers doesn't always work. Sometimes they're stubborn and just won't come out. Here's a couple of WWII 7.62x38R that I was trying to reload. The hydraulic pressure was so great that it ballooned out the brass instead of pushing out the primers. I'm stubborn so I eventually drilled them out and converted the brass to boxer. Time consuming and absolutely NOT worth it. :)

IMG_6138[1].jpg

Them cases look like the barrel on a friends 12 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster shotgun after his kid triped and plugged the barrel with snow then shot it. It had a bulge about the size of a pigeon egg just above where the barrel attaches to the gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top