JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Repriming Berdan cases isn't worth the trouble for common cartridges. But if you get into some of the more obscure European cartridges where supplies are hard to find, some people find it worthwhile. Berdan primers turn up for sale, it can be done. Federal Armament in Fort Smith, AR sells them at present. Made in Russia, supposedly non-corrosive.

I wouldn't even think about messing with it. When I see military brass laying on the ground at the range, I leave it there. Someone else with more patience and time can mess with it.

I have found several S&B brass as well as some WCC, and WIN that had red-painted primers. The S&B and WCC seemed to be the toughest to decap, perhaps due to a smaller primer hole.

That's a good idea to separate the S&B, since there might be quite a few. Thanks for the idea.
It's more likely that the crimped primer that military brass utilizes is what made the depriming more difficult.

Here in yUK I got doned a hundred S&B 6.5x55 cases, and found that only their own primers were an 'easy' fit. I tried my usual CCI and they shaved to fit - not good, so I gave up after struggling with just the one attempt.

I'd heard this before, and had forgotten that I'd used a primer pocket regulariser tool on a batch of new 7x57 S&B cases - all that were available at the time.

I wouldn't even think about messing with it. When I see military brass laying on the ground at the range, I leave it there. Someone else with more patience and time can mess with it.

Military primer pocket crimps are easy to remove, there are several tools out there that do it. Some are better than others of course.
While it's a one time thing, it is one more processing step in loading the brass for that first time at least.

Here in yUK I got doned a hundred S&B 6.5x55 cases, and found that only their own primers were an 'easy' fit. I tried my usual CCI and they shaved to fit - not good, so I gave up after struggling with just the one attempt.

I'd heard this before, and had forgotten that I'd used a primer pocket regulariser tool on a batch of new 7x57 S&B cases - all that were available at the time.
Primer pockets that are too tight is a better problem than if they are too loose!

I have a container full of once fired S&B 9mm that I have yet to reload. Are their primer pockets tight as well?

It's not a problem for me if they are, I have a Dillon Super Swage 600 that would make short work of them, as well as a couple of different reamer tools that could easily recut the pocket.

No big deal if nobody here know the answer, I will just make sure to pay attention to them once I get around to using the cases, but being lazy I thought I'd ask.

Primer pockets that are too tight is a better problem than if they are too loose!

I have a container full of once fired S&B 9mm that I have yet to reload. Are their primer pockets tight as well?

It's not a problem for me if they are, I have a Dillon Super Swage 600 that would make short work of them, as well as a couple of different reamer tools that could easily recut the pocket.

No big deal if nobody here know the answer, I will just make sure to pay attention to them once I get around to using the cases, but being lazy I thought I'd ask.

In MY experience S&B 9mm primer pockets are tight. Not too tight, but using my RCBS hand primer there's more force needed and the primer kind of "pops" as in goes in. (Not POPS as in BANG though.) I should add that Blazer Brass 9mm primer pocets are the easiest to seat primers in.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top