JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
See the attached photos. Tried to decap this 9mm from a batch of several thousand I recently purchased (1X-fired).

Decapping pin would not remove the primer. Headstamp says it's Lapua Finland. Are there some brass that CAN'T be reloaded like this? I'm glad I hadn't really clamped down on the sleeve that holds the decapping pin.

IMG_20190708_135628472.jpg IMG_20190708_135652804.jpg

Toss it as soon as possible otherwise it will be like bad taco truck food. It will keep coming back to ruin your day.

They can be swaged, but for 9mm brass???? Nope, totally not worth the effort!!! Just toss and pick up some more range brass. You will also find some that look painted... they're crimped in and have to be reamed out.... toss!!!

Scrap it... Keep it for recycling.

I have a lot of berdan primed 308 brass. Initially I was tossing it but scrap brass sells for a lot.

If you're not gonna generate a lot of this stuff maybe just pitch it in the can like everyone else is saying.

I hope you didn't pay a lot for it? Aaaannnnnd, did the seller know, or not, that it was military brass from 1962?

inquiring mind, and all that. :D

I did purchase the brass from a NWFA subscriber, but so far out of the 200 rounds I bought, I've only found one Berdan round. Now if I had been looking for it, I'd never have found it until I fondled it during brass-prep. :)

I did purchase the brass from a NWFA subscriber, but so far out of the 200 rounds I bought, I've only found one Berdan round. Now if I had been looking for it, I'd never have found it until I fondled it during brass-prep. :)

Whew!

That'd be a heck of a drag if most were like those! Hopefully someone only had a box or a charged mag setting around and decided to blast away with it to get rid of.

Yeah, that would be a drag! But it does give me a hint of what to ask about when I buy more range brass in the future. Got to look at the bright side.

Yeah, that would be a drag! But it does give me a hint of what to ask about when I buy more range brass in the future. Got to look at the bright side.

Considering the minimal cost of used 9mm, and the infrequency of finding berdan primed? I wouldn't consider it all that likely that you'll have a bunch of it. When i'm picking up and saving 9mm from places if it doesn't look good I just chuck it. And I'm thinking 9mm that's been around that long probably looked different that the rest of the batch you bought? Even after tumbling.

Considering the minimal cost of used 9mm, and the infrequency of finding berdan primed? I wouldn't consider it all that likely that you'll have a bunch of it. When i'm picking up and saving 9mm from places if it doesn't look good I just chuck it. And I'm thinking 9mm that's been around that long probably looked different that the rest of the batch you bought? Even after tumbling.

It didn't look all that different when I poured about 300+- into the small plastic tub next to my press. I only found it when I tried to decap and it drove the pin up in the die. That caught my attention!

I've got a small batch of Aww-Crap brass in a drawer that I have to "keep me humble". I'll just throw it in there after I mark it with permanent marker.

I just finished decapping 2000 rounds this afternoon/evening. Now the last batch is in the tumbler. I've only got 1200 more to go to get caught up on my range-brasss stockpile.

Scrap it... Keep it for recycling.

I have a lot of berdan primed 308 brass. Initially I was tossing it but scrap brass sells for a lot.

If you're not gonna generate a lot of this stuff maybe just pitch it in the can like everyone else is saying.

I have about 1k of berdan 308. Was going to recycle it then tossed a bunch in a wet cleaner and it came out pturrty. Picked up some 7.62 links and some low cost FMJ projectiles, going to make some 7.62 belts to hang on the wall with them.

It didn't look all that different when I poured about 300+- into the small plastic tub next to my press. I only found it when I tried to decap and it drove the pin up in the die. That caught my attention!

I've got a small batch of Aww-Crap brass in a drawer that I have to "keep me humble". I'll just throw it in there after I mark it with permanent marker.

I just finished decapping 2000 rounds this afternoon/evening. Now the last batch is in the tumbler. I've only got 1200 more to go to get caught up on my range-brasss stockpile.

Well even with your little berden friend sneaking into you brass day your WAY ahead of me. I have been slacking on my brass duties. I keep loading digging into my back stock and the post range bags are way overfilled. Way to get on it.

Finding Bredan primers is the hard part.
Depriming the Berdan cases is the easy if a bit messy. That is where an old crappy press comes into play. Simply install a expander die in the press, fill the case with water and run it up into the expander die. Called hydronic decaping, messy but easy.:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top