JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Coming from a dealers point of view, I totally get your frustration and Lord knows I agree with you. That being said, we are not required to release the gun after 10 days. If we know you and know you have passed checks in the past with us we will be more likely to release it. If you are a first time transferee through us and start asking questions about us releasing it after 10 days that will raise red flags and will make us think that you are aware of a reason why you might not pass. After 11-12 working business days, I would call your ffl and politely ask them to contact the sheriffs and ask about your bgc. Do not ask for refunds because you paid them to run a check, which they did, the fact that it is taking so long is not their fault. If you barge in demanding refunds the likleyhood of them refusing you service in the future is almost a certainty. Do not be rude, that will only make them not care, trust me on this one lol Especially given how busy everyone is right now. Good luck!

Coming from a dealers point of view, I totally get your frustration and Lord knows I agree with you. That being said, we are not required to release the gun after 10 days. If we know you and know you have passed checks in the past with us we will be more likely to release it. If you are a first time transferee through us and start asking questions about us releasing it after 10 days that will raise red flags and will make us think that you are aware of a reason why you might not pass. After 11-12 working business days, I would call your ffl and politely ask them to contact the sheriffs and ask about your bgc. Do not ask for refunds because you paid them to run a check, which they did, the fact that it is taking so long is not their fault. If you barge in demanding refunds the likleyhood of them refusing you service in the future is almost a certainty. Do not be rude, that will only make them not care, trust me on this one lol Especially given how busy everyone is right now. Good luck!
Yep, last 2 pistols we bought the shop just let us have them because we have dealt with them over 20 years. Last one they had told us come get the gun since they had not heard but got the proceed after they called. One before that I never bothered to ask when they finally got the damn OK as they waited the needed time and just let us go. This sucks rocks but it bothers me more hearing gun owners try to blame the FFL's who are mostly just small business people trying to make a go of it.

Quite the rant you have there. I am a WA. resident (and Oregon) who has supported a dozen or more FFLs for over 35 years here. I passed checks dozens of times and possess a concealed carry permit in both states.

Including West Coast Armory, Wades, Pinto's, Sound Pawn, Low Price Guns, 2nd Amend Ind., Ben's and others.

The FBI coincident with the passage of 1639 did in fact change how handgun waiting periods are handled.

You can learn more about it here: I-1639, federal changes reshape Washington's gun-purchase background checks

and here: Initiative 1639 | Washington State

Concealed carry permits, which required enhanced background checks for issuance no longer qualify for exemption for mandated waiting periods, of up to 10 business days. Following which, the gun purchase may be released BY LAW if the background check was not completed.

If any FFL refuses to release a handgun after the legally prescribed waiting period - a pox on them. Name the FFL(s) who lost their license or business because they lawfully complied with mandated waiting periods. There are none. The gun control crowd wanted to make it harder for lawful gun owners and dealers to traffic in guns.

Period.

Additionally.,
RCW 9.41.139, as adopted under Initiative 1639, requires that the Washington State Department of Licensing work with the Washington State Patrol and other state and local law enforcement agencies to develop a process to verify—at least once a year—that the owner of a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle remains eligible to possess a firearm under state and federal law.

Just to cap your misplaced rant, I voted against I-1639 and every gun control initiative every put before the voters and contribute generously to pro-gun groups who oppose these, including the NRA, GOA and SAF plus others.

I thought the new Anti 2A WA laws made it near impossible for the FFL to release anything until the BGC is cleared?

Not yet, they do seem to be working on that. If there is an advantage to this it's that many law makers do not know a firearm from a hammer. Laws are often made that no one is quite sure what they really say. Look at the way they went after 80%. They wrote it so poorly that some who sell them just pulled sales from WA. Others did not. Of course several took to the net to condemn those who stopped selling 80% to us here rather than blame the people who allowed this to happen. Just like some here who say the FFL's should just do what these "experts" tell them since the expert has nothing to lose. Some who sell 80% did not feel like having the WA AG come after them with unlimited funds to hire lawyers since the State has tax money and don't care how much they spend on this even if they lose. The owner of the business is not sitting in front of a computer deciding they know all the laws. They are looking at is it worth risking having to spend untold cash on lawyers if the state comes after them. If anything good comes out of this it will be maybe, just maybe, more people who care about freedom are watching what those in power are doing here. This is their wet dream. Maybe some more will wake up and vote now.

I recently bought a pistol at pawnshop, and its been ten business days. I called and asked if they knew why I can't pick up pistol yet ? I was given no reason why. They said to try again Thursday the 9th of April, but how long can they delay? Whats stopping PD from NEVER completing background check? It was my understanding that if there was no reason after ten days I'm allowed to have my pistol, or am I mistaken? I tried calling my local PD and they just transfered me to frontdesk and after 2HOURS of being on hold I gave up. This just seems like a delay tactic, and i'll never actually acquire my pistol....

Thanks to I1639 keeping us all safe .

My favorite local pawn shop has a sign in large letters on the counter stating they WILL release the firearm to the purchaser after 10 business days and no response from law enforcement. Our sheriff department is terrible about processing back ground checks and often takes over a month. I asked the owner about any denials after the transfer and he has had a couple. All he has to do is call the buyer and ask him to return the firearm and if he doesn't then it's on law enforcement to go get it. No big deal to him.

Then there is "lets point out the law". That fixes everything, why didn't anyone else think of that? Meanwhile here in the real world the FFL has to deal with Judges. He can't wave the law in the face of some Judge or Government official and keep selling guns. In the real world the FFL is just shut down.

Yeah...... I'm guilty of that in another thread. Bums me out that having laws and constitutions does us no good. We live in the world that is, not the world that it is "supposed" to be, or that we want it to be. :(:(:(

Last Edited:
Yeah...... I'm guilty of that in another thread. Bums me out that having laws and constitutions does us no good. We live in the world that is, not the world that it is "supposed" to be, or that we want it to be. :(:(:(

It is frustrating for those of us who love freedom. Many never seem to "get" that laws and things like "rights" only work when people cooperate. The law is just a piece of paper. No more powerful than when someone gets a piece of paper to protect them from someone. The paper only works if the one who is supposed to stay away decides to cooperate.
When the TSA came along I lost track of people who would tell people flying with a gun to print out the laws to have with them. This does nothing other that set people up to fail. When you get to the check in and some robot says no, waving your printed forms in their face will only make them tell you no.
This is a great example of how fragile our rights are. Look how many people have been willing to give away their rights just because they were told to? Offer them a little money and a little fear and Americans have lined up to say "Ok, I surrender my rights". The people who want to control them are watching this with glee. Thinking, damn that was sure easy. If there is no mass push back there is no rights. :(

My favorite local pawn shop has a sign in large letters on the counter stating they WILL release the firearm to the purchaser after 10 business days and no response from law enforcement. Our sheriff department is terrible about processing back ground checks and often takes over a month. I asked the owner about any denials after the transfer and he has had a couple. All he has to do is call the buyer and ask him to return the firearm and if he doesn't then it's on law enforcement to go get it. No big deal to him.

Great, I just wish more people who come to the net to get angry would stay at least a little informed. This has been going on for a while and still many seem to have no idea. Many still blame a law that has zero to do with the reason. Many get angry when told this is not the shops fault. It's why I have said since this started, ASK before you pay. Then there is no confusion later. Wife and I have it easy as we have been dealing with the same people since they opened. When we want something they tell us the price, if we want it we say get it for me. They don't ask for money up front. So when gun is there we do not pay until they let us walk. Now I am sure they do not do this for everyone. It is why I say ask first. Don't like the answer you get? Then try another shop. Don't put down the cash, then get mad. It's not the dealers fault how they decide to do this.

It is frustrating for those of us who love freedom. Many never seem to "get" that laws and things like "rights" only work when people cooperate. The law is just a piece of paper. No more powerful than when someone gets a piece of paper to protect them from someone. The paper only works if the one who is supposed to stay away decides to cooperate.
When the TSA came along I lost track of people who would tell people flying with a gun to print out the laws to have with them. This does nothing other that set people up to fail. When you get to the check in and some robot says no, waving your printed forms in their face will only make them tell you no.
This is a great example of how fragile our rights are. Look how many people have been willing to give away their rights just because they were told to? Offer them a little money and a little fear and Americans have lined up to say "Ok, I surrender my rights". The people who want to control them are watching this with glee. Thinking, damn that was sure easy. If there is no mass push back there is no rights. :(

Well you're just a bundle of joy.... :p;););):(

Under the circumstances, a little extra patience is probably OK...maybe a few more days. But if it's a common firearm, after that, I'd consider politely requesting a refund, especially if you have a CPL.

No, going after the FFL is not beneficial to our cause.

And 1639 most definitely does include handguns...re-read section 15 again. Buying a handgun now signs you up for lifetime BGC with HIPPA waiver...not just at time of puchase...which has dissuaded folks from buying.

All of which part of their plan. The GC crowd isn't even trying to hide it anymore... and more and more Sheeple are going along with it...until something like a pandemic occurs, then low and behold, a light comes on and buying gun doesn't seem like a bad idea...

Boss

I recently bought a pistol at pawnshop, and its been ten business days. I called and asked if they knew why I can't pick up pistol yet ? I was given no reason why. They said to try again Thursday the 9th of April, but how long can they delay? Whats stopping PD from NEVER completing background check? It was my understanding that if there was no reason after ten days I'm allowed to have my pistol, or am I mistaken? I tried calling my local PD and they just transfered me to frontdesk and after 2HOURS of being on hold I gave up. This just seems like a delay tactic, and i'll never actually acquire my pistol....

The OP has never been back after his first post? :s0153:

Inquiring minds, and all that.

I moved back here after avstint in Northern California helping my Dad deal with his cancer. When he passed, I came back home to find Washington trying to copy California.

Its a 10 day wait there on any firearm. You have to have a firearm certificate for any firearm. They call it a cooling off period. Since they are trying to get people to "cool off" after and argument, going out to make a hasty gun purchase... They need to alert Wal-Mart that the same person needs a cooling off period for and other weapon... Knifes, axe, blunt objects, cars....its all an ego trip based on elections, power = libtardesness. Not a word, but ignorance is.

They (government) are trying to develop reasons that do not exist. Fact based laws exist.. Long before this new initiative went through. Now its there to annoy legal firearms buyers.. Imo

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top