JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in agreement about a few hundred rounds for reliability check and familiarity. Especially with ammo scarcity these days.

I will say I've had two problematic Glocks in the past; both were Gen 3 Made in USA models. Both extractor issues. But very noticeable very quickly (under 50 rounds).

I'm in agreement about a few hundred rounds for reliability check and familiarity. Especially with ammo scarcity these days.

I will say I've had two problematic Glocks in the past; both were Gen 3 Made in USA models. Both extractor issues. But very noticeable very quickly (under 50 rounds).
Same, except only one, and I found later that the gen 3 .45 acp glocks had known issues with extractors and trigger bars.
That said, I'll likely carry my new 43 when it gets here straight out of the box.

I don't worry about reliability unless it becomes a noticeable issue. Certainly I'm not going to worry about the first couple of magazines run through the gun (rack the slide many times first, and get some lube in the gun). Out of all the bad things that can happen in a self-defense shooting, "no bang" is low on the list of priority and pretty easily corrected in short order.

Regardless of buying climate and ammo availability, I shoot 200-250 rounds of normal ball ammo and at least 50 rounds of whatever carry ammo I will be using before considering the firearm worthy of EDC. I also like to field-strip my pistols first and clean/lube them thoroughly to make the break-in period smoother. From there, I make sure that my "test" rounds are fired in a variety of ways: strings of rapid fire, deliberately riding the trigger reset, shooting one-handed, etc...In my experience this helps bring any quirks or persistent malfunctions to the fore that might otherwise "hide" themselves.

To some people this is already a very relaxed Standard of Use, and I personally would consider it the minimum before trusting a defensive handgun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top