JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's the e-mail I sent to my senator and representatives

To my elected officials,

First, thank you for your service. I realize that getting involved in the political process is not for the weak of heart.

Right now there is a huge outcry to do 'something'; I urge you not to overreact. Government has never brought a solution to a problem without compounding the problem. 30 innocents died publicly recently, and countless others less publicly, for reasons we cannot fully fathom. As law abiding, good people we just can't grasp how this could have happened. I heard it well put on the radio the other day that there are three places you can jump to in situations like this: guns, psychology or the culture of violence.

As I have argued vigilantly on FaceBook; guns are not the problem. Legislation, for that matter is not the problem. There are 10,000 local state and federal firearms laws. None of them would have changed events this week. None of them are more sever than first degree murder. A brick can be used to destroy a window or build an orphanage. Money can be used to feed the hungry or buy a corrupt politician. A gun can be used with tragic results or can be used to defend the innocent. Each of these objects are amoral. Don't confuse the tool as the cause of the pain.

Psychology or mental health in this country; while I believe this is the root of this weeks issues specifically, it's not an easy solution. First it requires us to be honest with ourselves. In our effort to be all encompassing we have thrown out right and wrong. There are no consequences to our actions and we embrace 'different' to a degree that we aren't even looking for the obvious monsters around us. Once again, government is not the solution. Perhaps a budget and more financial resources but I don't want to stray from my point.

Culture of violence; prime time TV, Call of Duty, movies, music all influence our thinking. We must guard what we allow in our eyes and ears because that's what goes to our heart. As strongly as I believe this I also believe in liberty. Clearly there is some societal consequences for our choices but those are the choices we have made. We have rating systems and warnings in place. There is nothing more to do here.

Anything done quickly in the name of doing 'something' will only further strip our citizens from the rights, liberties and founding principals that is the basis of our country. We are a strong people. We come to each others aid in times of need and tragedy. Please don't overreact with long term unintended consequences.

Thank you for your consideration

Active voter

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews