JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd like to insure my collection, but to cover it I need to take out a separate policy. This particular policy is very affordable, covers fire/flood/earthquake/theft, they'll even replace them if I lost one somehow.

The only caveat; they need a list of all the firearms being covered. I understand the reasoning, it just makes me a little nervous for some reason.

Have you done this? Have you not done this for this reason?

Edit: Just for reference, this is for a collection with a replacement value of $6,000+, so it's a little different than a standard policy.

I am not recommending or endorsing this company but you may want to contact them as they give NRA discounts and when i spoke to the rep they said you can get (and i forgot the exact term) blanket coverage which is additional coverage and if i recall correctly i would not be required to give seraial numbers but would need to keep my on list should something happen the company was metlife you might want to verify this.

I don't see the issue honestly.

I suppose the worry is what would happen if a gun confiscation occurred, that the ins. co. could forward a list of guns to the .Gov?
Other than that, who cares?

The notion that gun confiscation could happen in this country in the remotely near-term is just ridiculous. It's a paranoid delusion, nothing more. The AWB in 1994 didn't even attempt prohibition of pre-ban magazines, much less a confiscation of arms. The notion that this country has gotten MORE friendly to the idea of gun control since 1994 is so counter-factual it's not even worth discussing.

We need to be ever vigilant about our rights, and continue working to expand those rights. But playing chicken little doesn't help. It diverts time and resources and energy away from productive activity, like getting full-auto and SBRs approved for WA. and removing the mandatory handgun waiting period for non-CPL holders.

Mine wanted a list with approximate values but did not need serial numbers. My assumption is that I will need to provide the serial numbers if I need to make a claim.

On these policies that don't require serial numbers, do you have to give them the SNs if you file a claim? Or provide the police report with or without the serial numbers they recorded? I just wonder how that works. I'm sure they have some sort of safeguard against a guy claiming a transferrable m134 minigun (or barrett m82, blaser, etc you get the idea) along with his bersa and lorcin that got stolen.

I now have Farmers, recently switched from State Farm. BOTH of these companies require serial numbers, make and model, and an approximate value. That is why I have not taken out a policy with either of them. None of their business as far as I am concerned. I have told both that I would be willing to provide pictures, serial numbers, and any other information they may need in case of theft or other damages. Neither are willing to do it up front with out the required information.

keep in mind most home owners policys only cover less then $2000.00 I have a single rifle that would easily cover that. I am working on a rider on my homeowner to cover my little collection. And yes it will have serial numbers and photos and current values.

Afterall they have to know the VIN numbers on your cars how is a firearm any different? of course you have the choice not to insure.

Our coverage (Country) covers $2,000 worth as part of the regular homeowners coverage.
No serial numbers etc required. I've also got a rider policy for the guns I consider "high
risk". These are the guns my wife and I take to competitions. Serial numbers, description
and value declaration required for them. Currently around $8,000 worth, I update/change the
list annually.

My Pru policy covers my guns fully, and didn't require anything on my part other than stating I had firearms, and a number of them, and approximate value.

My insurance agent actually knows what I have pretty well, as we have gone shooting a few times. There was never any questions about serials.

I think some of it maybe with your agents. I have State Farm. I have complete details of my gun collection in my safe and another back up location. They are insured with providing no information other than I have them and how much coverage do I want for them. I am currently set at $9k and just re-did all my insurance info with switching boats/motorcycles cars and homes recently and raised the amount for my guns from $6k to $9k.

Of course when it comes time to get them replaced, what will the ins Co's position be then? Depreciated "replacement" value? If they are high value items, I would get a written appraisal on each item and store that in a safe deposit box. Some companies are infamous for giving about 50% of what the item cost you new. Or 1/2 the new price in today's market. Some good friends were robbed and their company gave them about 1/2 of what it cost them to replace everything. This was with plenty of coverage over the amount they were paid. And they did raise hell just to get that!

Mine offers full replacement value. So as my agent said, that means my .308 gets replaced with the LE version it is, bull barrel, timney trigger, exact same scope, and second stock. No depreciated value bs.

I have good replacement coverage through my homeowner policy. Oregon Mutual (love that they are a local company) is the underwriter, and Isaac's Insurance (located in Tigard) has been my agent/broker for about 20 years now. Google up Isaac's Insurance and inquire about what you're looking for. No serials required, I just maintain a detailed database with photos if I ever need to make a claim.

I had a Toyota Landcruiser get stolen by someone the (then) wife let test drive that we were trying to sell some years back, and it was a painless process to make a claim and get reimbursed... actually made $200 more than what I was asking for it... LOL!

Hope that helps.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads