JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I watched the video below I decided to see if I could draw from sitting in my car as fast as the guy in the video did, especially considering that he appears to draw from right-side, on-body carry which mimics my own carry method. I left my seatbelt on in order to be realistic. Since it is winter I wore my jacket and found that it seriously inhibited my ability to get to my gun even when unzipped. I also found that I was sitting on the tail of my shirt which further inhibited my draw. I now take my jacket off once I enter my vehicle, and make sure I pull the tail of my shirt out from under my arse so it isn't pinned to the seat. Much better!

I have practiced once. Not with a jacket, but with armor.

Both pistol and rifle.

Was cleaning brass out of my truck for weeks.

Last Edited:
YES, YES I have!!! A LOT........And all my friends think I'm crazy.....I also carry in my house.....I know, crazy right?!?:cool:

YES, YES I have!!! A LOT........And all my friends think I'm crazy.....I also carry in my house.....I know, crazy right?!?:cool:

When I sit down to watch TV on a night off a gun goes to the table next to me along with whatever I am eating or drinking. Wife used to some times look at me strange. Any more she does not even glance. One night while at work I turned on the inside cameras to check on the house and she was up late watching TV. I noticed she had a gun laying there next to her. So I guess I am rubbing off after all these years :):):):)

I carry IWB and always make sure when I get in a vehicle to drive that my coat is not covering my pistol so it's in plain view & accessible. With a coat it hampers my ability somewhat but I feel comfortable & confident that I can TCB if needed.
Practice in different scenarios is a must when CC.

I haven't actually done any live shooting from inside my car but I have been trained and understand the vulnerabilities of being assaulted while sitting in the drivers seat. So for that reason I have planned for my defense from that location and the defense of any family or passengers that may be riding with me.

Without fail, I always remove my conceal carry firearm from my person prior to getting in the drivers seat of my vehicle. I place the unholstered pistol in a predetermined location on the under side of my steering column. I do this for two reasons.

1. It is uncomfortable for me to conceal carry when I'm driving and I haven't found a way to alleviate that discomfort and keep the firearm easily accessible.
2. I have effectively made my pistol as quick and easy to access from the drivers position as the headlight control knob or radio tuner in the vehicle.

When I had determined that I could not comfortably conceal carry while in the driving position, I toiled for months on where to strategically locate my pistol in the car when I'm driving. Many trials and fails finally led me to keeping it safely and firmly located under my steering column, held there by a commercially available magnet designed for the task. I can actually access my pistol quicker from this location while in my car than I can draw it from my on body conceal carry when I'm not in my car.

I drive a 2019 Ford Mustang and interior space is at a premium so it was difficult to find a location for my Sig P365 that I could access easily with my right hand (strong hand but I do shoot lefty too). I keep two extra 12 round mags in my console where they are not as easy to access as the pistol but I know where they are if I need them. Though the pistol leaves with me whenever I exit the car, the extra mags in the console stay put and are dedicated solely to remaining in the car fully loaded.

Last Edited:
Yup, I favor off-body carry in vehicle. Just make sure that gun handling is safe while changing over. I worry about being observed during the change over too.

For those that favor off body vehicle carry, how do you do that with kids or guests you dont want to know your packing?

When I watched the video below I decided to see if I could draw from sitting in my car as fast as the guy in the video did, especially considering that he appears to draw from right-side, on-body carry which mimics my own carry method. I left my seatbelt on in order to be realistic. Since it is winter I wore my jacket and found that it seriously inhibited my ability to get to my gun even when unzipped. I also found that I was sitting on the tail of my shirt which further inhibited my draw. I now take my jacket off once I enter my vehicle, and make sure I pull the tail of my shirt out from under my arse so it isn't pinned to the seat. Much better!

I always wear my jacket unzipped in my vehicle. I know it is hard to do when it is cold but my car will warm up rather rapidly if I drive it rather than letting it warm up.

Yes. Paranoid? Dunno about that. Am I paranoid enough? Considering where I live I do not think so. Being left handed has both advantages and disadvantages. Remember to always screen your gun hand. Fake a little bit with your right ... draw with your left.

Cave Junction Oregon USA. Tombstone. Dodge City. No law enforcement usually. Even now rumor has it the Oregon State Police will not come. Just a rumor. No truth to it at all. Ahh ... the sound of nighttime gun shots. Music to your ears. Get used to it. :)

For those that favor off body vehicle carry, how do you do that with kids or guests you dont want to know your packing?

Define kids? Youngins need to be on board with your methods of SD no matter where you are wether at home, car or out & about in the woods.
Mine are grown and own their own guns.
I generally do not have people in my vehicle that I do not know personally so no offending or freak outs there.
My grandchild is 8 months old so I'm gonna have to change the game plan as she ages.

Define kids? Youngins need to be on board with your methods of SD no matter where you are wether at home, car or out & about in the woods.
Mine are grown and own their own guns.
I generally do not have people in my vehicle that I do not know personally so no offending or freak outs there.
My grandchild is 8 months old so I'm gonna have to change the game plan as she ages.

Any kid you dont trust with a gun. Could be your own or their friends kids...

Often when I ask about off body carry (or storage) the reply is dont hang out with those people... But most people dont live in a world where the only people they associate with are pro gunners. Co workers, social friends who dont own guns... Lots of reasons you dont want your carry habits to be disrupted when suddenly in a situation you dont want others to know your packing.
Im just asking because Im curious how others do that when they suggest off body carry like consol or under dash holsters etc.

I've been practicing drawing while seated in a vehicle from a very young age....

mDR4L9MTwM7XfWm8aQsFYxg.jpg

I always thought a 10mm would be a great vehicle gun. No worries on windshield deflection.

Ive never done it, but the takeaway is if you have to shoot thru a windshield aim for the belt buckle. Im not certain power has much to do with it... Bullets deflect at right angles to the barrier. Rob Pincus has a cool video on that...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top