JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No a dog has no idea what exactly a gun is, but it can have associated memory of an object. So yes if he's seen and heard what a gun does and had fear of it, then he'll fear it again assuming it registers with his earlier experience. There's no way to know. It's much more likely that a dog will understand the tone of your voice as being dead serious and the body language you present being the same. As stated earlier in the thread you can fire point blank at a dog as a warning shot and it will very likely just stare you. Again, there's no way to know beforehand.

True! My dog does not like guns at all. IF I get one out of the safe she starts quivering... especially after I work the action to either load it or unload it. It is possible in my case that the other dog I was dealing with had either never seen or heard a gun before but where I live I'd actually guess that it has both seen them, heard them, and just gotten used to them.

But not at a human.

I unholstered and cocked a single action at two dogs. It was miles from the nearest house and I was yelling things like, "Go! Get the H$%L Outta here" etc. at the same time. The turned and walked away before I shot.

The second time it was wild horses and I swore I was going to get trampled. That time I had a rifle and that time too, they went a different direction.

In both instances, like I would assume if I was dealing with a person, If once I drew there was time for the threat to leave I wouldn't shoot. But if the threat was in constant motion towards me or another threatened person, I believe I would shoot.

But not at a human.

I unholstered and cocked a single action at two dogs. It was miles from the nearest house and I was yelling things like, "Go! Get the H$%L Outta here" etc. at the same time. The turned and walked away before I shot.

The second time it was wild horses and I swore I was going to get trampled. That time I had a rifle and that time too, they went a different direction.
In both instances, like I would assume if I was dealing with a person, If once I drew there was time for the threat to leave I wouldn't shoot. But if the threat was in constant motion towards me or another threatened person, I believe I would shoot.

Never heard that type of scenario before

Never heard that type of scenario before

I was in eastern Oregon hunting about 8 years ago. (southwest of John Day, Flagtail Mtn area) There are a few groups for wild, or feral horses there. I came around a corner of an old logging road and was face to face with a couple of male horses backed up by a few mares. (it was the second group I'd seen that morning) The lead stallion looked at me, snorted many times while he pounded the ground with his front hooves. He may have been 30 yards from me, but it was too close for my comfort. Once he took a couple of steps towards me and continued his antics, I knew it was time to release the safety on my rifle. He started towards me with his band in tow, veered off to my left and ran past me. Took about 30 minutes for my pulse to slow down. Was very scary, but super cool at the same time.:s0155:

I was in eastern Oregon hunting about 8 years ago. (southwest of John Day, Flagtail Mtn area) There are a few groups for wild, or feral horses there. I came around a corner of an old logging road and was face to face with a couple of male horses backed up by a few mares. (it was the second group I'd seen that morning) The lead stallion looked at me, snorted many times while he pounded the ground with his front hooves. He may have been 30 yards from me, but it was too close for my comfort. Once he took a couple of steps towards me and continued his antics, I knew it was time to release the safety on my rifle. He started towards me with his band in tow, veered off to my left and ran past me. Took about 30 minutes for my pulse to slow down. Was very scary, but super cool at the same time.:s0155:

Very cool. Had a similar experience years ago fishing on the Deschutes. I was taking a walk at night near the Motel I was staying at and saw a Blacktail buck and some does munching on apples under a tree. As I approached, the buck did kind of the same thing. Pawing the ground and lowering his head and shaking his antlers at me. Didn't draw my gun, but figured it was time to leave.

I would like to hear from an officer how far away a suspect needs to be to NOT be considered a threat. If you wait to draw, you may be dead before you know it. I would draw and be prepared to shoot. How fast can a guy reach you that is 10-15 feet away? probably faster than you can draw, aim and shoot! That's just me.:)

Check out Professor Kleck's site:
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.html

According to him, 1-2 million times a year an American refuses to be a victim, and in the overwhelming majority of those cases, no shots are fired.

Now if I happened to have confronted an attacker, like say a road-rage maniac, and I presented a firearm to deter him, it's unlikely that either he or I would "call it in" afterwards, particularly if the firearm had not been carried legally. Hypothetically speaking.

I would like to hear from an officer how far away a suspect needs to be to NOT be considered a threat. If you wait to draw, you may be dead before you know it. I would draw and be prepared to shoot. How fast can a guy reach you that is 10-15 feet away? probably faster than you can draw, aim and shoot! That's just me.:)

The answer is 21 feet. Do a google search for Teuller drill to learn more.

I also pulled on a dog. Now for my Rant...

I stopped and parked my Harley sideways in the road so I could get off and talk to this toddler standing in the middle of things. Kid was so small he wasn't saying words yet but it was obvious he was in love with the irrigation spraying on the far side of the street. I picked him up and headed for the nearest house, about 75 yards away, where I knocked on the door.

The woman who answered just asked me what I wanted. I had kind of expected her to scream and take the child from me... When I asked, "Do you know this child?", all I got was a "Yes." Even more confused, I informed her that he was standing in the road down the hill from 'here'. "Yea, he does that some times." Finally I asked, "Is this YOUR child?"

When she answered, "Yes" I moved forward, handed the boy to her and she immediately slammed the door in my face! Not so much as a thank you. Then as I stepped down from the porch, their rotweiller attacked me. I faced the dog, yelled NO, waved my arms and managed to keep him at arms length. No one came from the house to call off the dog :( I banged on the side of the house because the dog had decided I shouldn't walk away. No one even looked out the window!!

Eventually I drew my gun, told the dog he'd had his last chance, and I slowly backed across the yard, out the drive way and onto the road. He stopped right at the edge of the road.

I'd kill my own dog for biting someone but this dog believed he was doing his job and I didn't get bitten. If he'd followed me to my bike, I would have killed him. I remember it as being just like in the movies... slobber flying and lips flapping. Teeth like an aligator ;) Later I filed a police report about the incident thinking that if the child was ever killed on the road, my report would help prosecutors.

Makes me kind of ashamed to say I live in the Tri-Cities. That is, folks that don't look after their children properly. :(

Check out Professor Kleck's site:
http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.html

According to him, 1-2 million times a year an American refuses to be a victim, and in the overwhelming majority of those cases, no shots are fired.

Now if I happened to have confronted an attacker, like say a road-rage maniac, and I presented a firearm to deter him, it's unlikely that either he or I would "call it in" afterwards, particularly if the firearm had not been carried legally. Hypothetically speaking.

Also speaking hypothetically, whether it is likely the "road rager" would call it in or not, you would be wise to, at least if you felt your life was threatened and you had the license number or other identifying info. If a gun is pulled and someone calls the police, the first caller usually has an advantage. If you were carrying legally, don't worry about the other guy. If you weren't, then that's another problem you need to consider.

The instructors have both stated, "if you are drawing your weapon, then the threat is there to shoot". "Don't draw it, if you're not going to use it".
I disagree. You can pull your weapon and not shoot. You MUST however be prepared to shoot if you pull your weapon. You can very easily get control of a situation with a firearm in your hand and not have to shoot. But like I said, don't pull it unless you are prepared mentaly to squeeze the trigger.

I thought the same. Sounds like dogs understand better than some people would. I'd think the dog would think your about to throw something like a bone to him.
---------
-----------------------------
I think dogs are excellent at either feeling or judging a persons confidence level. I have had many a dog confrontation also and they are quite perceptive usually. I also had dogs that often went with me while shooting/hunting and they would absolutely cower if the muzzle was pointed in their immediate direction. I for one do not consider canines to be stupid. Simple yes but not stupid. Many have much more common sense than numerous humans I've encountered in my time.
:s0159:

I have never had to draw my weapon and I sure hope it stays that way. I've carried for a number of years now and so far so good. I do "NOT" agree that just because you pull the weapon you must always use it though. Their are "Always" variables & alternatives. The very last ditch alternative in my world will be deadly force! If I pull my weapon I do intend to use it but that does not mean I have to because I do "NOT" want to take another life. I will if I absolutely have to in defense of my survival or the protection of family but like I stated earlier, it will be the last ditch and final alternative. That being said, has anyone living in the Beaverton area noticed the Maxx station area of 158th Ave. getting a bit gangly lately? I took a walk down though the area recently in the twilight and was feeling particularly relieved that I had my weapon. I'll put it this way, in the one block I walked I was disrespected twice by two separate groups of young people in a foreign language. Reminded me of Southern Cal. I in no way provoked them & I just ignored it and kept walking but it was very saddening. :confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top