JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone here not in law enforcement or military ever had to pull your gun on a person and not have to use it?

In both CHL classes I have taken over the years, there has been great discussion in this area.

Most people ask "If I draw my gun, don't I have to shoot?". The instructors have both stated, "if you are drawing your weapon, then the threat is there to shoot". "Don't draw it, if you're not going to use it".

I'd like to see what you all think? Opinions :s0155:

Lets see, this is my rifle and this is my gun. One is for shooting and one is for fun :D:D Have I had to pull my gun? err ahh no:s0112::s0112:

jj

aside from work, yes. 1996 had an intruder break into my home when me and my young son were home. It took about 40 seconds for me to get my loaded weapon and myself to the kitchen to find the intruder with the largest kitchen knife in the house in hand. VERY IMPORTANT!!! at that time he had the OPORTUNITY to hurt us, he and MEANS to do us harm [the knife]... I ordered him to the ground [floor] and he complied. IF he would have taken a step towards me he would have shown INTENT to do me harm. Unless you have all 3 you will not win in court if you shoot, unless great fear on your part is a factor..At that time you can kiss your CCW goodbye too.

I disagree if you unholster you HAVE to shoot, I do agree if you unholster the threat should be there at that time to shoot. You don't know what will happen next.

You know I am a CHL holder. But this Has always Crossed my mind.. Do I really have to shoot if i draw? I know if I was a bad guy and someone Pulled a gun on me id doo doo my pants and run away FAST lol... If I drew Id only do it if I felt me or the people around me were in danger. and Id only pull the trigger if the Bad guy would not comply with my commands.. Sounds ok? thats just my thinking though.

You know I am a CHL holder. But this Has always Crossed my mind.. Do I really have to shoot if i draw? I know if I was a bad guy and someone Pulled a gun on me id doo doo my pants and run away FAST lol... If I drew Id only do it if I felt me or the people around me were in danger. and Id only pull the trigger if the Bad guy would not comply with my commands.. Sounds ok? thats just my thinking though.

I would only draw if I was in fear for my life (or one of my family's lives). Once that begins, the only thing that would stop me from presenting and firing would be if the threat was removed somehow.

Say someone was approaching me with a knife. I would command him to stop and draw my CCW. If, upon seeing the weapon, the BG began to turn to run or just stopped, the threat would be gone and I would have no reason to fire. But I would not delay firing in hopes that would listen to my command to stop. By that time I would likely be dead.

Other opinions?

Oops, I just realized that I hijacked this thread. Sorry...

I am along the same lines as you. As long as the threat has been deterred, I see no reason to shoot. I haven't had to draw my weapon, and hope I never have to. :s0155:

I pulled my .32 seecamp on a pit bull that was attacking, the dog stop dead in it's tracks when it saw my gun!!!:huh:

I also pulled on a dog. Now for my Rant...

I stopped and parked my Harley sideways in the road so I could get off and talk to this toddler standing in the middle of things. Kid was so small he wasn't saying words yet but it was obvious he was in love with the irrigation spraying on the far side of the street. I picked him up and headed for the nearest house, about 75 yards away, where I knocked on the door.

The woman who answered just asked me what I wanted. I had kind of expected her to scream and take the child from me... When I asked, "Do you know this child?", all I got was a "Yes." Even more confused, I informed her that he was standing in the road down the hill from 'here'. "Yea, he does that some times." Finally I asked, "Is this YOUR child?"

When she answered, "Yes" I moved forward, handed the boy to her and she immediately slammed the door in my face! Not so much as a thank you. Then as I stepped down from the porch, their rotweiller attacked me. I faced the dog, yelled NO, waved my arms and managed to keep him at arms length. No one came from the house to call off the dog :( I banged on the side of the house because the dog had decided I shouldn't walk away. No one even looked out the window!!

Eventually I drew my gun, told the dog he'd had his last chance, and I slowly backed across the yard, out the drive way and onto the road. He stopped right at the edge of the road.

I'd kill my own dog for biting someone but this dog believed he was doing his job and I didn't get bitten. If he'd followed me to my bike, I would have killed him. I remember it as being just like in the movies... slobber flying and lips flapping. Teeth like an aligator ;) Later I filed a police report about the incident thinking that if the child was ever killed on the road, my report would help prosecutors.

I have to hand it to you. I dont think I would have taken that so well. I might have had a few choice words for the mother. Nice job in keeping your cool.

I also pulled on a dog. Now for my Rant...

I stopped and parked my Harley sideways in the road so I could get off and talk to this toddler standing in the middle of things. Kid was so small he wasn't saying words yet but it was obvious he was in love with the irrigation spraying on the far side of the street. I picked him up and headed for the nearest house, about 75 yards away, where I knocked on the door.

The woman who answered just asked me what I wanted. I had kind of expected her to scream and take the child from me... When I asked, "Do you know this child?", all I got was a "Yes." Even more confused, I informed her that he was standing in the road down the hill from 'here'. "Yea, he does that some times." Finally I asked, "Is this YOUR child?"

When she answered, "Yes" I moved forward, handed the boy to her and she immediately slammed the door in my face! Not so much as a thank you. Then as I stepped down from the porch, their rotweiller attacked me. I faced the dog, yelled NO, waved my arms and managed to keep him at arms length. No one came from the house to call off the dog :( I banged on the side of the house because the dog had decided I shouldn't walk away. No one even looked out the window!!

Eventually I drew my gun, told the dog he'd had his last chance, and I slowly backed across the yard, out the drive way and onto the road. He stopped right at the edge of the road.

I'd kill my own dog for biting someone but this dog believed he was doing his job and I didn't get bitten. If he'd followed me to my bike, I would have killed him. I remember it as being just like in the movies... slobber flying and lips flapping. Teeth like an aligator ;) Later I filed a police report about the incident thinking that if the child was ever killed on the road, my report would help prosecutors.

Next time just ask her if she minds if you take the boy down to child protective services. If she says go ahead, do it! Some people have no business breeding.

On to the OP. Nope I've never had to draw on a person. Yep I have drawn on a dog and fired into a stump on purpose attempting to scare it off. This was out in the sticks BTW so what I did was legal and safe. Oddly the dog just stared at me. I yelled at it to leave again gun aimed back at him again. Finally it complied! Haven't seen it since and I'm glad I didn't have to shoot it.

I had a real dirtbag neighbor who had a Chow that "got out" fairly often. By coincidence it was always when it needed to take a dump in someone's yard.

One day I was working in the yard when the dog came ambling over to take a dump. I started shooing the dog out of my yard and I guess my son, who was about 10 at the time, thought he was helping so he started to shoo the dog as well. That's when the dog swapped ends and started doing the stiff leg walk towards my son and popping it's jaws. I got my son back in the house and grabbed my 9mm and came back outside and leveled it at the dog. It started walking away, but was still on my property. I fully intended to shoot it, but I heard a little girl from off to the side say "please don't shoot my dog mister". Well, as it was no longer a threat I went back inside. I had no desire to shoot the little girls dog in front of her.

About an hour later the dirtbag neighbor comes pounding on my door yelling about me pointing a gun at his dog. I explained that the next time I saw his dog on my property I would kill it. Told him that if it came to my son's safety or his dog, his dog would lose. Never saw the dog out again.

No a dog has no idea what exactly a gun is, but it can have associated memory of an object. So yes if he's seen and heard what a gun does and had fear of it, then he'll fear it again assuming it registers with his earlier experience. There's no way to know. It's much more likely that a dog will understand the tone of your voice as being dead serious and the body language you present being the same. As stated earlier in the thread you can fire point blank at a dog as a warning shot and it will very likely just stare you. Again, there's no way to know beforehand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top