JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I'm going to assess your post after cutting everything but the following:

I currently drive a miata[.]

[O]nce thought I was in a situation where I needed a firearm and was at the mercy of the road-raging lunatic (who came up to my window with his fist pulled back like he was about to punch me in my face, since I responded to him raging at my car)

I generally do ignore them or tell them if they have a problem with me, my car, or whatever my bumper says, we can get the police involved to settle the matter, and that usually shuts them up, but what about those situations where there isn't a police officer, and your safety is in the hands of the road-rager who is angry with you?

You are addressing too much in the original post.

The ORS says this:
161.219 Limitations on use of deadly physical force in defense of a person. Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 161.209, a person is not justified in using deadly physical force upon another person unless the person reasonably believes that the other person is:

(1) Committing or attempting to commit a felony involving the use or threatened imminent use of physical force against a person; or

(2) Committing or attempting to commit a burglary in a dwelling; or

(3) Using or about to use unlawful deadly physical force against a person. [1971 c.743 §23]

Politics are not an issue here, as "red necks" might be the ones to help you change your tire if you have a flat and/or car trouble. You'd be surprised to see the kind of people who go out of their way to help you when there is a genuine need for compassion.

Since your question is about self-defense and driving I will offer advice. Buy an ugly car, take driving lessons, and have no stickers. Then see if people still flip you off. In most cases, it could be due to the probability you may not have signaled while changing lanes (but this is all conjecture on my part).

As for my opinion on road rage. NO ONE under any circumstances should go out of their way to flip someone off or yell at another driver. That kind of behavior is never okay. If anyone got out of their car in an angry manner and approached my car, (for the sake of argument) assuming I am carrying, I would immediate un-holster and/or drive away immediately. No one should be that pissed off approaching your car ever, at that point you have no idea if they are going to hurt you or not.

I've had one person get out of their vehicle to yell at me, in the middle of traffic while I was on a motorcycle at an intersection. My negotiation skills defused the situation from the guy applying physical violence. I called non-emergency, and nothing really came out of it, even after given the plate of the offending side. If it happens again, I'll also be calling 911. A firearm is a last resort, not some kind of show of force.

Edit: I only read the original post, and now I can't stop lol'ing at how serious I took this guy (SuperJew). The name itself should have told me something was off.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top