JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Arkansas? Prepare for brutal humidity. Their "rural" people are a different breed, outsiders not welcome, and its not just a phrase. As for firearms and "fighting the good fight", open carry is banned statewide, $150+ mandatory training to get CCW, and inform officer on contact. Get caught ignoring a "no guns allowed in this store" business sign and get arrested. And a state government that tells me what days I can buy alcohol? Yeah, no thanks.
Well I'm a teetotaler so thats not a problem. $150 mandatory training to get a CCW isn't a bad thing- as an NRA pistol instructor I can only support that. Yes, the humidity is best enjoyed passed out unconscious in a cold room!

Having said that, none of that matters if you can't keep a roof over your head. Definitely cheaper to live there. I have visited my sisters family there, and I would not live there personally. Yes, Washington kinda sucks and I doubt i'll be retiring here, but the grass is always greener on the other side, as it goes :)

Well the wife and I are taking an 8 day trip to Mena to give it the "once over" before making the move. Yes, its hot. But like anything else it's just a mater of getting used to it. Not too worried about the police- before I was medically retired I was one of the top locksmiths in the United States (as certified, anyway) and I've been offered a part time job with the blessings of the local police department so we'll see.

I'm sorry everyone- I didn't realize that this topic would touch so many open nerves! I thought I was the only one who was losing faith,,,

At 57 years old I have lived in WA my whole life. I have watched this state get flushed one greedy dollar at time by the political party in charge.
My parents are still alive so I'm stuck but when they are gone I'm moving to Wyoming. Yes it gets cold during the winter but there's no state income tax, state sales tax is under 5% and property taxes are among the lowest in the nation. Could this be because it's run by the other political party? I think so!

At 57 years old I have lived in WA my whole life. I have watched this state get flushed one greedy dollar at time by the political party in charge. My parents are still alive so I'm stuck but when they are gone I'm moving to Wyoming. Yes it gets cold during the winter but there's no state income tax, state sales tax is under 5% and property taxes are among the lowest in the nation. Could this be because it's run by the other political party? I think so!

Well Classic, I'm 53, the wife is 58 and my Mom is still alive. We have no other living relatives and the State has taken over the care of my Mom. Like you've said we have to take care of our parents- but in my case the state has taken over. They felt that after 14 years I needed a break so they called in the professionals. One of the best things that ever happened, actually. My Mom is 88 and is in disgustingly good physical shape but her brain? Not so good. But I can only hope she passes in her sleep before we leave- but we ARE leaving. Yes, the emotional hurt is going to be there. Yes, it will be the last time I will see my Mom alive.

But as the Navy SEALS say, "You don't have to like it, you just have to do it- and the only easy day was yesterday"

I've been looking at islands.....

I've looked at islands too. Then I've seen the price tag....so whats the outline of your plan to pony up what? 10 million for something useable? Have you come up with a way to make this happen with a reasonable price? While the idea of being surrounded by water sounds great, it could also be a trap...but defendable also. Would you be kind enough to expand on your thinking, Mr. Dunerunner?

At 57 years old I have lived in WA my whole life. I have watched this state get flushed one greedy dollar at time by the political party in charge.
My parents are still alive so I'm stuck but when they are gone I'm moving to Wyoming. Yes it gets cold during the winter but there's no state income tax, state sales tax is under 5% and property taxes are among the lowest in the nation. Could this be because it's run by the other political party? I think so!

Wyoming=hard life.

Wyoming=hard life.

I'm retired living on a corporate pension and dividends. I've ridden my goldwing over a huge portion of WY and it knocked my socks off. I'm not looking for work, just clean living. Snow/cold doesn't bother me (that's why men invented snowmobiles), so allot of shooting, allot of fly fishing, great bike roads and maybe not so much drinking in the evenings hahaha... I call that the good life especially when I'm paying minimal tax!

I've looked at islands too. Then I've seen the price tag....so whats the outline of your plan to pony up what? 10 million for something useable? Have you come up with a way to make this happen with a reasonable price? While the idea of being surrounded by water sounds great, it could also be a trap...but defendable also. Would you be kind enough to expand on your thinking, Mr. Dunerunner?

You got to be careful dealing with other governments. I knew a guy who had a home on some property in Fiji near a golf course there. The government there moved the borders around and took the guys property from him. He fought for it but they took it from him and there was nothing he could do. I do not remember if he was reimbursed for it. Somewhat probably.

Also China is doing some "this island is ours" claiming. There might even be a war out of it soon.

I'm retired living on a corporate pension and dividends. I've ridden my goldwing over a huge portion of WY and it knocked my socks off. I'm not looking for work, just clean living. Snow/cold doesn't bother me (that's why men invented snowmobiles), so allot of shooting, allot of fly fishing, great bike roads and maybe not so much drinking in the evenings hahaha... I call that the good life especially when I'm paying minimal tax!

I was born into a faming family that homesteaded our Ranch in northwestern Wyoming. If you don't have to make a living out there, you have it licked. Motorcycles, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Snowmobiles, Horses, Peterbilts, Airplanes and Guns are a way of life out there, but it all comes at a price. I would love to move back.

states are constructs of political convenience used by TPTB to Fleece Money and Power from those unable to stand against The State
The culture of Liberty is a threat to the Barons of Power and so that culture must be extinguished.
Hence our current situation

Also China is doing some "this island is ours" claiming. There might even be a war out of it soon.

I've been expecting war over the Spratlys now for about 20 years. From a United State's submariners point of view its a freaking acoustic sonar nightmare- depths from 400 to 900 feet and it's perfect to listen for steam sounds of a nuke plant. Meanwhile if you've got a diesel electric submarine you've got it all over the nuke boat- because you sound like an almost perfect water molecule! You've got China, Taiwan, Philippines, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand and Japan all wanting the natural resources of rare minerals and oil. Right now the Chinese and the Philippines have been sparing at each other- not quite shooting yet but that 105mm gun those Chinese have can be brutal when you have no place to hide. China Launches Restricted Battle On Philippines Over Spratly Islands - YouTube is supposedly the greatest and the latest.

Hows that quote from "The Hunt for Red October"? When the Admiral says: "This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it"

When I was a young adult I lost faith in the leadership of my state for the wrong reasons. When I got older I lost faith in my state leadership for all the right ones.

And you blame the gummint for using something that harmed you?
Not for the usual side effects like, lethargy, lack of interest or ability to complete High School or just an average amount of lung damage. That was all on me of course!
In the late seventies my buddies and me got some stuff that made everyone violently ill for a couple of days. We later surmised it was Jimmy Carter's DEA laced weed.
Fast forward to today and I'm still alive, no cancer that I know of and any liver damage etc. could be blamed on the massive amounts of alcohol I consumed in the Army I'm sure.

As to the thread topic, Idaho when I can swing it, but it will be a while.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top