JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well the question included other prohibited areas. I can't picture myself walking onto a courthouse or airport and it not occurring to me, but how many people do you think carry pepper spray in their pocket or purse into a Post Office? If you said a lot you're probably right.

Or perhaps those folks know exactly what they are doing and taking a calculated risk Of carrying a dangerous or deadly weapon into such a place as the post office - either out of a sense of civil disobedience to what can be considered a brainless, senseless policy - or simply because emptying your pockets to send or retrieve mail is a pain in the arse and unless they screw up some other way - who will know. Concealed is concealed and all that. Forgetting you have a weapon is like forgetting your own name - and if either apply to you its probably time to lock the weapons up and let someone else be the responsible party.

Pepper spray? I have no idea. I honestly don't keep myself apprised of regs on that. Same goes for a pocketknife, other than an area with a metal detector because the idiots there will have a hissy over even a barlow knife.

As for the other areas? The ones with no metal detectors? It's a judgement call. Is what you're carrying of more use to you in all likelihood (With all the attendant penalties) than the downidse of being disarmed for a few minutes/hours?

No one can make that decision for anyone else. As far as I'm concerned, I can see the reasoning for disarming you on a bus/plane for the simple reason of the crowded situation. At the same time, if it were up to me, I WOULD NOT disarm you. I'd just make clear that if you shoot an innocent, the HAMMER will be dropped on you. (As it should be with LEOS who fire 17 shots at a guy 10 feet away and manage to hit NINE innocents).

I understand the desire to avoid a situation where some idiot thinks he's Rambo and not only makes a situation worse, but manages to hurt innocents. I really do. Those people DO exist.

But that has to be balanced with the right to self-defense. And frankly I'm more OK with seeing more idiots in jail and no more "gun free zones" than I am seeing good people with training and skill disarmed because some lawyer is afraid of lawsuits.

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree.
"Forgetting" As in, so completely oblivious to your responsibility to be mindful of what your doing when carrying, and doing so when you walk into one of the most heavily secured areas in the country (an airport) is so grossly irresponsible I doubt the kind of person who's going to walk through a metal detector with a loaded gun is going to get much "assistance" via an internet thread.

Even people who've never owned a gun know airport secured areas are a NO GO zone for a loaded weapon. If someone actually gets to the security line and only then remembers he's carrying? What would you like me to say? the obvious? "Go back to your car and stash the gun?" If someone needs an internet thread to make that judgement call, frankly they should reconsider carrying, IMO.

99% of us are responsible, mindful people, pretty scrupulous about knowing and obeying the law. The other 1%? Nothing said here is going to help.

Apologies if you think I shut down the thread with an ill-considered comment. Goodness knows I've made plenty of those. But this, I think, is not one of them.
Human beings make mistakes. If you live long enough you will make one. Many folks have routines they've established, personal rules they follow, etc. Talking about those would be valuable.

And it's not just the airport security zone, where yeah, it's sort of obvious to everyone that this is a "no gun" zone, that's a problem. How about a Social Security office that's in a rented storefront in a strip mall? How obvious is it that it's a prohibited area (or is it?). What buildings, or portions thereof are off limits due to court functions that occur in portions of the building? And how about similar less obvious traps that other people have fallen into? What were the consequences? How did they handle it? How can we avoid a similar mistake? We won't learn any of that from this thread. Be complacent and condescending in your perfection if you like. Reality has a way of biting back someday.

Having always carrying a pocket knife everywhere including school since the age of seven(now 64), old habits died hard. Until after the turn of the century never gave my carrying a knife a second thought until I got trapped by metal detectors. To me having grown up with guns and knives being no big deal and knives a part of playground activities in school including the game of mumbletypeg it was just second nature. Nobody when I was growing up even thought to use their pocket knives for lethal activity unless your life was in danger. After having lost several of my pocket knives to the detectors in the new millennium, I adjusted, but there was one time they thought I had a revolver in my carry on bag, it was actually a round canister with my rechargeable AA batteries and I got the royal treatment. I no longer fly, I prefer rail travel which is much more civilized and relaxing. They even let me carry my pocket knives.

Human beings make mistakes. If you live long enough you will make one. Many folks have routines they've established, personal rules they follow, etc. Talking about those would be valuable.

And it's not just the airport security zone, where yeah, it's sort of obvious to everyone that this is a "no gun" zone, that's a problem. How about a Social Security office that's in a rented storefront in a strip mall? How obvious is it that it's a prohibited area (or is it?). What buildings, or portions thereof are off limits due to court functions that occur in portions of the building? And how about similar less obvious traps that other people have fallen into? What were the consequences? How did they handle it? How can we avoid a similar mistake? We won't learn any of that from this thread. Be complacent and condescending in your perfection if you like. Reality has a way of biting back someday.

How about when you're carrying the means of life and death that you take that responsibility seriously?

I've been CCing for about 30 years. Whn I first started carrying, the FIRST question I asked was "where can I NOT carry?" This is in the days before in the internet, when you actually had to write letters.

I managed to locate the RCWs and the Federal laws pretty quickly THEN.

They GIVE you a list when you apply for a CPL. I'm sorry that you didn't pass Civics 101 in 8th grade, but those of us that DID, realize that there are Federal laws beyond state laws.

This is NOT rocket science.

I am well aware that we all make mistakes. You see them, you take corrective action and go about your business. What's so hard about that? Especially in the age of google?

How about when you're carrying the means of life and death that you take that responsibility seriously?

I've been CCing for about 30 years. Whn I first started carrying, the FIRST question I asked was "where can I NOT carry?" This is in the days before in the internet, when you actually had to write letters.

I managed to locate the RCWs and the Federal laws pretty quickly THEN.

They GIVE you a list when you apply for a CPL. I'm sorry that you didn't pass Civics 101 in 8th grade, but those of us that DID, realize that there are Federal laws beyond state laws.

This is NOT rocket science.

I am well aware that we all make mistakes. You see them, you take corrective action and go about your business. What's so hard about that? Especially in the age of google?
When I attended law school about 40 years ago I found out that what's "obvious" in the law is not always true. For instance, carrying firearms at some federal facilities is prohibited except when done for "lawful purposes". Carrying concealed for self-defense with a CHL would seem to be a lawful purpose. Nobody has tried to test that yet in court. Also, that list they give you when you get your CHL in some counties specifies public schools as prohibited. That's not what the law says. That's just an example of what we might have discussed, but some folks who've been carrying for 30 years and rely on an 8th grade civics class for their information won't permit that discussion. Have nice day.

Yup - last minute a friend stops by and tells me I have 30 min to pack for Vegas to go pick up his truck. Grabbed a duffel for a carry on and shoved in some clothes as my checked bags were lock boxes with a stack of guns and ammo that had the cops at the airport drooling. Didn't recall until we were half way to Vegas that my duffel had last been used for a canceled range trip. Got on the plane with a can, a pistol, about 5 loaded mags and a couple boxes of shells... Wonder what they would have said if I contacted them after getting back to tell them that their security missed the mark...

Yup - last minute a friend stops by and tells me I have 30 min to pack for Vegas to go pick up his truck. Grabbed a duffel for a carry on and shoved in some clothes as my checked bags were lock boxes with a stack of guns and ammo that had the cops at the airport drooling. Didn't recall until we were half way to Vegas that my duffel had last been used for a canceled range trip. Got on the plane with a can, a pistol, about 5 loaded mags and a couple boxes of shells... Wonder what they would have said if I contacted them after getting back to tell them that their security missed the mark...

:s0001:

As retired L/E I've carried for years (Kalifornia escapee) but have never forgot I'm packing heat. I was once a air Marshall and felt odd carrying but they seated me first and right behind the cabin. The pilot comes out and asks "what you packing" I told him my duty Sig and he pulls out a 357 Python and beams "if they get past you, I'll be waiting beyond the door" ...I chuckled and commented on his very nice choice of weapons...

This brings me to my Question have you ever forgot that you have a gun with you and gone into an airport, court room or other forbidden place without realizing it?
Nope, because I'm not an idiot. I take having a weapon on me seriously.

And with how close I live to North Idaho, I know when I'm armed. I carry specifically for protecting my wife from the racists that seem to flow from there like water.

The only time I carried where it was banned was at St.Peter Hospital in Lacey. The doors had a small weapons free zone sticker on the door but I didn't notice until I reached the floor I was going to, where a much larger sign was placed outside the elevator door.

I used to carry in a fanny pack and this was just after 9/11 so things were heated up and I went to the airport. I took my gun out of the pack and locked it away but forgot about the extra mag. It went through xray and the look on the screeners face was classic. There was a police officer there and I explained the situation. He was cool and gave me the mag to return it to my car.

This is not to put people in the spotlight I am just curious have you ever forgot that you have a gun with you and gone into an airport, court room or other forbidden place without realizing it?

My Google search for news articles if your interested.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new...m.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&tbm=nws&start=40[/QUOTE]

I've never not known the location of any of my firearms, but in the late 90's I made several trips to DC for business. Unpacking after the last trip I found three loaded spare mags for my Detonics Pocket 9 in my carry-on. They had been through the PDX and Reagan airports something like 6 times without setting off a metal detector.

I've not intentionally carried anywhere that is considered "Legally Off Limits". I have however carried in places like COSTCO, IKEA and those facilities that have indicated a "No Firearms Policy"...first and foremost, I'm a consumer and legally permited to "Carry". I'm not criminal and my intent to shop and leave. Short of a "Shake Down/Metal Detector at the door", I'm not sure how the inforcement of these policies is/would be managed anyway?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top