JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I do a lot of searches on firearm related news articles and in the last month or too I have seen so many related to folks forgetting their firearm in their back pack and other baggage at the airport.

I bring this up as my wife and I are getting ready to go to Disneyland as my wife is a Mickey Mouse freak and she wanted to go one more time before she turns 50. (Yes I know California)

I daily carry a folding knife, leatherman, flashlight, Ruger LCP and a Glock 19. My key ring has a small knife on it as well as toenail clippers plus my keys for work and play. All of which I cannot take on this trip. So I need to pack light and unprotected.

This brings me to my Question have you ever forgot that you have a gun with you and gone into an airport, court room or other forbidden place without realizing it?

I will admit living in Idaho that has open carry and canceled there is not many places I cannot carry but I know if I am going to take a trip or have to visit the court house I know I cannot take these items and will leave them in the car or at home. I normally don't go far from home either so going to these places is not my comfort zone.

This is not to put people in the spotlight I am just curious have you ever forgot that you have a gun with you and gone into an airport, court room or other forbidden place without realizing it?

My Google search for news articles if your interested.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new...m.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&tbm=nws&start=40

No. I take my carry seriously even when I'm not thinking about it. I listen to these idiots crying about "forgetting" and I have to wonder: How can you possibly "forget" a CCW. And WTH is wrong with you that you COULD "forget" when entering an airport? Seriously? are you THAT stupid?

You would think that as I do, at the first sight of metal detectors I double check for pen knives. I did grab a different jacket one time and at the airport before security I found a pocket knife, they had a mail facility and I mailed it home for five or six bucks. Not a real expensive knife, but I wanted to keep it. I have never tried on purpose or by accident to go through security with a firearm.

I've carried a concealed pistol in banks and bars. Without looking it up, I would guess there's probably some rule about packing at the airport, too, even just picking people up without breaching TSA search boundaries. Or maybe not.

Whatever the rules are in different areas, I always know if I'm armed (or not). It's a responsibility.

Last Edited:
I've carried a concealed pistol in banks and bars. Without looking it up, I would guess there's probably some rule about packing at the airport, too, even just picking people up without breaching TSA search boundaries. Maybe not.

Whatever the rules are in different areas, I always know if I'm armed (or not). It's a responsibility.

No, airports are not a sacred cow, I have picked up and walked into the airport carrying, which is legal, but the secure areas...are secure.

I have carried into banks routinely. I am more likely to need a gun leaving there, where a crook might expect you to have cash.

You cannot carry into federal buildings and offices, including the Post Office, Courts, Jails, Indian property and few others. Usually even if it is posted you can carry by state law, but if detected you could be trespassed, ordered off the premise, never to return. I don't really care a lot about that, but as I am not looking for trouble I don't carry where its not welcome. They just told me I'm not welcome and I take my business elsewhere.

Checked our bags at the Frankfurt Airport and let me tell you that place is Security anal. I forgot I had my Swiss army knife with me. To late to get it into the bag so I ran around the little shopping area trying to find something to pack it in. A very nice young woman (who was stunningly beautiful working in a perfume shop was nice enough to give me a small box they shipped perfume in and give me some tape. A quick address with a sharpie I bought at the newsstand and off to the German Post office booth.

IT COST ME $33.00 to ship that stupid $38.00 knife home. Then we got to go into a room with a Bomb sniffer while some goober wiped down and tested 85 rolls of film ONE AT A TIME. Took almost an hour.

I don't forget what I am carrying in to an Airport any more.

Anyone that forgets they are carrying a firearm is not alert enough or responsible enough to carry a firearm.
I knew a guy who was a TSA at the REDMOND, OR airport and told me it was relatively COMMONPLACE - even with LEOs. One time he detained a female FBI agent with a gun in her purse. At that time ANYONE caught with a gun got a three day delay in their travel plans.

I knew a guy who was a TSA at the REDMOND, OR airport and told me it was relatively COMMONPLACE - even with LEOs. One time he detained a female FBI agent with a gun in her purse. At that time ANYONE caught with a gun got a three day delay in their travel plans.
For the life of me I cannot fathom why people with valid LEO credentials are prohibited from carrying on an aircraft.

I do a lot of searches on firearm related news articles and in the last month or too I have seen so many related to folks forgetting their firearm in their back pack and other baggage at the airport.

I bring this up as my wife and I are getting ready to go to Disneyland as my wife is a Mickey Mouse freak and she wanted to go one more time before she turns 50. (Yes I know California)

I daily carry a folding knife, leatherman, flashlight, Ruger LCP and a Glock 19. My key ring has a small knife on it as well as toenail clippers plus my keys for work and play. All of which I cannot take on this trip. So I need to pack light and unprotected.

This brings me to my Question have you ever forgot that you have a gun with you and gone into an airport, court room or other forbidden place without realizing it?

I will admit living in Idaho that has open carry and canceled there is not many places I cannot carry but I know if I am going to take a trip or have to visit the court house I know I cannot take these items and will leave them in the car or at home. I normally don't go far from home either so going to these places is not my comfort zone.

This is not to put people in the spotlight I am just curious have you ever forgot that you have a gun with you and gone into an airport, court room or other forbidden place without realizing it?

My Google search for news articles if your interested.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new...m.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&tbm=nws&start=40
You cant carry concealed in California, but it is still legal to check a firearm in your luggage and have it in the hotel room or in your car. If I was ever unlucky enough to be there during an earthquake or a Rodney King-type riot, I would really hate to be an unarmed tourist. Just sayin.......

A long time ago on a planet far, far away I met a friend for lunch. The restaurant area was full so we were seated in the bar area that I didn't even know they had. Right around the time the menus showed up it occurred to me...

Now if some of you feel this disqualifies me from carrying a firearm, you're welcome to your opinion. You're wrong of course, but you're welcome to think whatever you want. :s0078:

I've never forgot I was carrying and would have the same opinion as some of the others.
If your carrying you need to be vigilant and always using your brain.
If not you'll be the one spending your remaining days behind bars or dead.

Now I have several times found myself in a place where firearms are not allowed. Restaurants, bars, etc. But I never drink when carrying and refuse to leave my firearm in the car.

I forgot my wedding anniversary one time.
I was watching tv while my wife was making dinner, when that "Diamonds are Forever" commercial came on and it hit me like a ton of bricks, "Krap, I clean forgot it was today"
It showed a guy presenting his wife with some diamond earrings while they were out to dinner at some fancy place.
I carefully looked over at my wife expecting the worst as the commercial ended, but I saw the realization showing up on her face that she clean forgot too.
We both started laughing at the same time.
Me, for getting off so easy, and her for forgetting anything, as she has a razor sharp memory for these types of things.

Stopped myself half way across the lawn on my way to a courthouse, but never made to the door. And I will not go near an airport or the TSA so no problem there.

Never forgot!
When traveling with out a weapon (aircraft) I head streight to a Big Five, etc and buy the biggest, meanest looking,Chinese, assisted opening knife they have. Favorites are Hum Vee, $12.99:D! It's better than nothing. I dispose of it in the trash before entering the airport.

No, but I've wound up carrying in places and discovered, upon leaving, stupid little signs with the circle-slash and gun.

I did get quizzed once at the beginning of a ride-along with Washington County by the shift sergeant - he was running my name through LEDS at the start of the shift briefing (they let me sit in on the briefing), told me which deputy I'd be riding with and then pops off with "You're not carrying your gun on you, are you? I see you have a CHL." (I left the gun at home, per instructions when I scheduled the ride)

I get that the gun becomes a part of you and your routine - and a comfortable holster/gun combo can almost seem like it's not there, but to seriously "forget" it's on you - I don't buy it. I think most of these folks were trying to pull a fast one, thinking they were special snowflakes that wouldn't get caught. If they seriously "forgot" about the gun in their luggage or in their pocket - they deserve what they get. I forget lots of things - where I put my keys, where the sunglasses on my head are, but never do I forget where my gun is.

I thought is was legal to carry in bars in OR?

I've carried a concealed pistol in banks and bars. Without looking it up, I would guess there's probably some rule about packing at the airport, too, even just picking people up without breaching TSA search boundaries. Or maybe not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top