JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I am done with 9MM. No particular reason I just do not seem to have an affinity for it any longer and don't know if I ever really did. It seems to be more of a 'burden' now than something I actually enjoy shooting. Anyone with a similar 'condition' at any time in your life?

7.62x25mm It was once abundantly cheap is now pretty expensive as surplus has all but dried up.

Same.

The benefit of surplus is the price. I used to shoot .308/7.62x51 a ton until the surplus dried up and Radway Green / S.African / Port became a buck a round. Yeah, it's come down a bit but no more $30 battle packs, ever again.

Hell, look at .22lr! It has been years since I've seen it on the shelf... well, Dicks Sporting goods had boxes of 50 for $10 each last time I check.:eek: That alone has kept me from going back to that store for anything.

The only caliber I have owned and quit altogether is 40 cal. Kind of dumb really as when the ammo shortage hit, it was the last thing left on the shelf. That and 16 gauge :s0114:

22LR

The shortages. the increased cost. Plus I have this nice Ruger 22/45 lite. After shooting perhaps 50 rounds there is so much lead buildup in the barrel from the cheep rounds that it takes for ever to clean it out. Pulling a brass wire brush through it leaves a small pile of lead shavings on the cleaning mat each time. Not worth it to risk lead poisoning every time I have to clean it.

Left 300 rounds of it at the range last time I was there for someone else to have.

I go for:

Pistols
.22lr
9mm
.45acp
.357mag/.38spl

Rifles
.22lr
7.62x39
7.62x51/.308win
7.62x54r (someday when I find a Mosin I want)
30-06 (when I get to elk hunting I'll buy this cal rifle)
5.56/.223 (when I get around to an AR)

If it wasn't on that list, I have ruled it out as something I do not want to buy a gun in.

May change, but I preffer to streamline my calibers as much as I can.

I actually have gravitated to the 9mm round. Easy to get, ballistics are now saying its a great round if you believe the FBI reports, its a great size for CC. Most of all, its inexpensive, 45 ACP is around 20-24 for ball, 9mm is around 12-15 dollars so I can shoot a lot more and continue my proficiency.

But to your immediate question, I am not in love with the .40.

I think a bit differently, about how this is worded.

There are various munitions, that I never went into. For my own reasons.

Zero of any sort of "Short Magnum" concept, it was an answer to a question never asked. It helped by producing ~new Rifles~? Calibers that were already matched Ballistically, by previous munitions. They were ALL a sales Ploy. Some writer in a Gun Magazine says "Oh, Nice" so the suckers go out and buy them...

10mm, 40 Caliber for self loading pistols. Never Bought into them. Never will.

I do fine with 9mm & 45acp, both have been around, a Century Plus years, for ~a reason~

.17 Caliber Rimfire Anything.... Yes, I understand them. Flat shooting, etc. These Are a Nice Munition, but at their cost, they are already covered by Munitions that have been Wild Catted, for those few Speciality Shooters who need/want such ammo. I would rather neck down any of the 32 Caliber Revolver cartridges to 17, and build Up a rifle, than buy a single box of Specialty Rimfire in 17 caliber.

In fact, I was designing a neck down 32acp to 22, for cat whisper loud shooting. Purchased the Custom Lee Precision 22 Caliber mold that they cut once a year.... just for this little "poof" noise reducer.

In Short, I see Zero need for speciality Calibers....

if You Need one, Wild Cat it.....

I recall and followed the build, of a custom Kel-Tec 380 to 32 Caliber, and how Kel-Tec worked with the designer/owner. Kel-Tec Forums a decade ago was hot on this.

It never took off for Kel-Tec, but there was a company that took up the new round.... and might even still produce their self loader.

To finish out, we, in the Near future, will be needing the Roll your Own Ability.... with GP/Primers purchased "yesterday".... and saving purchasing BRASS...

Not another "hottest new round", and new gun being built.

philip. :)

I think a bit differently, about how this is worded.

There are various munitions, that I never went into. For my own reasons.

Zero of any sort of "Short Magnum" concept, it was an answer to a question never asked. It helped by producing ~new Rifles~? Calibers that were already matched Ballistically, by previous munitions. They were ALL a sales Ploy. Some writer in a Gun Magazine says "Oh, Nice" so the suckers go out and buy them...

10mm, 40 Caliber for self loading pistols. Never Bought into them. Never will.

I do fine with 9mm & 45acp, both have been around, a Century Plus years, for ~a reason~

.17 Caliber Rimfire Anything.... Yes, I understand them. Flat shooting, etc. These Are a Nice Munition, but at their cost, they are already covered by Munitions that have been Wild Catted, for those few Speciality Shooters who need/want such ammo. I would rather neck down any of the 32 Caliber Revolver cartridges to 17, and build Up a rifle, than buy a single box of Specialty Rimfire in 17 caliber.

In fact, I was designing a neck down 32acp to 22, for cat whisper loud shooting. Purchased the Custom Lee Precision 22 Caliber mold that they cut once a year.... just for this little "poof" noise reducer.

In Short, I see Zero need for speciality Calibers....

if You Need one, Wild Cat it.....

I recall and followed the build, of a custom Kel-Tec 380 to 32 Caliber, and how Kel-Tec worked with the designer/owner. Kel-Tec Forums a decade ago was hot on this.

It never took off for Kel-Tec, but there was a company that took up the new round.... and might even still produce their self loader.

To finish out, we, in the Near future, will be needing the Roll your Own Ability.... with GP/Primers purchased "yesterday".... and saving purchasing BRASS...

Not another "hottest new round", and new gun being built.

philip. :)

Totally agree,
9mm, 45 ACP, 12 ga, .223/5.56 is my safe bet, i look at it this way, as long as our government uses it, its going to stick around and availability makes it cheaper and abundant.
I own those above calibers exclusively for that reason. (Add 7.62x39 for my AK)

I did not even get into shotties.... but I am a Huge fan of .410 Bore. However, I load my own, in Brass.

Norma, and Hornady both make 9.4X74mm which is a well known European Hunting round.

it has a very Shallow shoulder, near zero, compared to say .303Brit

And it can be "blown out" to an instant .410 Bore, with certain Benefits:

1. Brass Cartridge, reloads "forever" compared to any plastic shot gun round.
2. The Brass gives a Larger Volume for components, the Plastic simply cuts into the Volume potential...
3. Once Fire Formed, it fits your Single Shot 4TEN forever.

The Only caveat is the Rim Might be a tad Thick for Modern 4TEN shotguns, I had No problem with my 1920's Winchester 410 Single shot, but my Snake Charmer needed a thinning, of the Top of the Rim, only .003 inches, but needed. Fortunately, that did not upset my 1920's Winchester, it said, "Oh Well", I'll fire it....

Use Large Pistol Primers, ONLY, to match Book Specs on 410 reloading Data. you will have other minor issues, you must make your Own WADS... I cut mine, with the left over Berdan Primed Russian Bear rounds that I bought, perfect fit... Wadding material is a trip to your local Car Parts Store, buy some "cut your own" Gasket Paper...

There is a wealth of information on this, on the internet, and Why the 410 will be the Quiet Hunters Choice in the Future when the oscilating Machine has Bovine Droppings hitting it.

My 1920's Winchester in Full Bore Patterns out to 35-40 Yards to be comfortable for me.... though I would consider my Snake Charmer more for future hunting, due to its size.

Consider Just the savings in GP, in the Volume used, and number of shot, ... a 4TEN reloading kit, can fit inside an Altoids Container, with room for a ziplock bag for Wadding, and one of the Two "Tools" needed, a Primer Pusher outer device! You need a GP "scoop", consider a home built one, or steal it from your Lee Dipper Box.

The GP, Primers & Shot... do not take up much space either.

philip.... :)

Done with a caliber?

Yeah, I'm probably done with .22LR. I'm sitting on 5 guns and about 25k .22LR rounds. I don't want to shoot any of it because just like one of the above posters said, I haven't seen it on the shelf in years. And without the ammo a gun is useless.

Who knows, maybe that will change when adults are finally in charge in Washington DC. :s0076:

I am in the process of thinning calibers and the heard...ive completely eliminated .40, .380, .32 and 22wmr.

Im in process of shrinking my 22lr rifle stash from 12 to 3...I have to more Mossberg to delte then ill be happy with my light weight tacsol ar15, heavy bench 10/22 and 22/45...

Now for some reason I can't get rid of 22short and 25auto guns I just love those two rounds...but most here would say I should

Im am wondering if I should delete 300aac, 6.5 grendal, 338 lapua, 7.62x54r, 17hmr, 9mm etc even though these are what I "enjoy" shooting. ..

If I where practical these are all I would have
All a guy needs is 22 for varmants .45 for carry, 556 for Small game, 762x39mm for deer and zombies and 7mm-08 for everything else right? Oh and I guess a 12g.

Im am wondering if I should delete 300aac, 6.5 grendal, 338 lapua, 7.62x54r, 17hmr, 9mm etc even though these are what I "enjoy" shooting. ..

If I where practical these are all I would have
All a guy needs is 22 for varmants .45 for carry, 556 for Small game, 762x39mm for deer and zombies and 7mm-08 for everything else right? Oh and I guess a 12g.

Well 7.62/54 is cheap shooting. again, 9mm is cheap shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I dont reload... and furthermore i was liking the 300grain corbons.
$6.50 a round! !!!!!!! Ouch but pants get tight haha!

Ive switched to s and b $3 per round

I consolidated my calibers and firearms with proprietary mags.
After that things got kind of boring.

The other issue I ran into is where do I store all the extra mags I have?!
I'll admit I'm a rifle guy more than anything, so the bulk of my magazine collection goes to ARs and AKs.. And it doesn't help that so collect AK mags (unique ones)

So that being said I choose my next firearm by what room I can afford to make..
I try to pick firearms that share the same mags (as noted above) but some keep calling my name:
FAL (then I can get a few sweet tools)
Mini 30
Mini 14
So I'll still have quite a bit of food for the girls but it's a whole new magazine game.. :/

But to answer the OP,
I've ditched: everything but 12g as far as shotguns go.
Pistols: .380, .40S&W. No real interest unless my woman is interested in either of those calibers for her next CC.. Then I'll stock up again and also .22.. I see no point in it anymore. I have enough as of now to keep me happy for a few years.. But I doubt I'll buy anymore from now on..

I may get back into .40 if another panic hits.. Seems like that's all that was on the shelf.

I phased out 54r and only have a single 91/30 just because I'm bound to watch "Enemy At the Gates" and I get that sinking feeling when I know I can't immediatly go out and shoot my Mosin.. So I keep one around. ;)

I've also moved away from compact and sub compact firearms.. I'll buy one every once and a while and realize why I dislike pocket pistols.. (They are just too darn small.)

But as far as calibers go.. I could never get bored with one unless the cost was too great or the availability was nil or if I had calibers that did the job better.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads