JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you attended training?

• Yes, plan on attending more.

Votes: 91 74.0%
  • Yes, but no more.

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • No, but plan on it.

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • No, and don't intend to.

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
So I saw a poll on another forum and thought it would be interesting to get a more local flavor to it here.

Since we are lucky to have several very good training facilities in the Northwest, including Oregon Firearms Academy and Thunder Ranch, I was curious how many people have taken advantage and attended classes. If you did, was it worth it? Priced right? Good trainers? Facilities?

I attended two classes this year. First was a defensive shotgun class at Oregon Firearms Academy. The class was excellent. The level of instruction, quality, and instructor to student ratio were great. I wish they had a larger facility, but other than that, no issues.

The second class was at the COSSA range outside Bend. Randy Cain came in from Tennessee to put on a three day practical bolt rifle class. Again, the level of instruction was excellent. Having only one instructor was a little challenging with twelve students. But the instructor handled it well. The facilities were not bad. But three days in the sun was a little challenging. I guess I'm not in great shape ;)...

Hopefully next year I'll get a few more classes. My goal is at least one, if not two pistol courses and a carbine course...

Anybody else care to share?

I've taken group classes, private lessons, went through police academy and most recently Appleseed.

Appleseed was 2 days of rifle training for $80 ($70 training +$10 range fee) +ammo. We shot around 550 rounds. You could shoot any rifle but .22 is encouraged so ammo was around $20. Equipment requirements are low-moderate. Plan on spending $30-$80 depending on how elaborate you want to be.

Well layed out building blocks style of training. Here is step one; practice. Here is step two, do this with step one; practice etc. I suspect you need to take the class two or three times to really put it all together.

If I had a complaint it would be that it has a little chicken & egg problem: They want you to practice the prone position prior to coming to class except that they don't explain what the prone position is until you get to class? Bring your rifle sighted in except that if I don't know how to shoot a rifle how can I get it sighted in before I get to class? That's part of why I think the real benefit comes the 2nd or 3rd time around.

Very family friendly environment.

Overall I give it a B+

A couple months ago I took a two day pistol class taught by Larry Vickers that was hosted at the COSSA range near Bend.

It was a great learning experience, and I know that I definitely want more classes.

The class I'd like most at the moment is the 3 day Precision Rifle class taught by Jim Smith.

After that, I want some carbine training, and more pistol training.

Training is expensive, but I figure it's a lot more rewarding and fun than a few days in Vegas.

I've taken Magpul Carbine 1 and 2, and now I want to brush up on my pistol skills... as i'm kind of plateauing with IDPA. My next training event will be a carbine course with Larry Vickers next May, and i may start pursuing handgun competitions more seriously

Have taken some, will take as much more as I can. More is better, I reckon!

Absolutely. One of the central reasons I took BHS and DH1 at OFA was to become 'less of a danger to myself and those around me' when carrying. I think that a carrying person who believes they know the basics, but doesn't, should possibly be considered armed and dangerous.

The DH2 and DH3 classes look interesting as does the Carbine training next Spring.

Can't say as though I agree with your reasoning, but I appreciate your honesty. Thanks for sharing...

Fair enough and thanks for the civility not always found in the land of forums. ;)

Just to clarify... I certainly am not opposed to the idea of honing one's skills, I just don't find it necessary for me at this point in time. I know how to safely operate and carry my weapons well enough now but I am open to the possibility of training in the future. I just don't have any plans to do so as of now, thus my vote.

Just not in the budget or time constraints for me and I think I am competent enough to handle the remote possibility of a confrontation in my home. If I ever start to carry again, then maybe I would be interested in a refresher course or two. I also go to the range and practice drills for aimed and point shooting, off hand or one hand firing, shooting while moving to cover, shooting from unconventional positions (if the ground is dry :)), long range shooting and anything else that I can think of at the time. I recognize that I would get more value from professional instruction but I feel confident my abilities are up to the remote possibility of an actual armed confrontation. The gun is just a tool, your mind is the weapon... :)

I have taken a tactical shotgun class, the NRA basic handgun safety course, and a basic carbine course. Up here in the far north west there is a 5 star indoor shooting facility with top notch training. Prices are very reasonable, they are conservative on ammo consumption, and you can repeat the classes for free forever when you complete one. The range is called Center Target Sports in Post Falls, Idaho.

Training is expensive, but I figure it's a lot more rewarding and fun than a few days in Vegas.

I've taken Magpul Carbine 1 and 2, and now I want to brush up on my pistol skills... as i'm kind of plateauing with IDPA. My next training event will be a carbine course with Larry Vickers next May, and i may start pursuing handgun competitions more seriously

2nding that. I'd rather blow a couple grand on a carbine class or advanced pistol than a weekend in Vegas. But I am a weirdit. :D
I've taken group classes, private lessons, went through police academy and most recently Appleseed.

Appleseed was 2 days of rifle training for $80 ($70 training +$10 range fee) +ammo. We shot around 550 rounds. You could shoot any rifle but .22 is encouraged so ammo was around $20. Equipment requirements are low-moderate. Plan on spending $30-$80 depending on how elaborate you want to be.

Well layed out building blocks style of training. Here is step one; practice. Here is step two, do this with step one; practice etc. I suspect you need to take the class two or three times to really put it all together.

If I had a complaint it would be that it has a little chicken & egg problem: They want you to practice the prone position prior to coming to class except that they don't explain what the prone position is until you get to class? Bring your rifle sighted in except that if I don't know how to shoot a rifle how can I get it sighted in before I get to class? That's part of why I think the real benefit comes the 2nd or 3rd time around.

Very family friendly environment.

Overall I give it a B+
Also 2nding that.

Appleseed was pretty fun for $70. Not all high speed low drag dynamic operating, but it is an excellent way to refine your fundamentals without breaking the bank and I learned a few things about sling use and now I am as accurate prone as I was before with sandbags (sandbags are cheating anyway). Also making rifleman is a lot harder than you'd think... especially with an iron sighted bolt action rifle. Nice family-friendly environment too, if I had kids I can't think of a better place for them to learn to shoot.

I have taken classes combat rifle and pistol classes through the military and also attended classes through individuals, the way I look at it is every day is a class. whether online, through classroom instruction or peer on peer, I constantly learn about firearms capabilities and use. I also like to share what I know as well.
Being a combat vet and having "been there, Done that" I know the value of training and practice and know that it truly does help when you need it.

12 years in the military is enough training for me.

Military training is hardly a medium to go by. My lack of training to my own, personal, standards is what got me into firearms in the first place.

Where in the battlefield are there foxholes with lined sandbags? What about targets that pop up in a set rotation and stay static other than to pop up and down? What about them being at fixed distances staggering every 50 meters?

In a combat situation, you use whatever cover is available- mostly you would be standing or kneeling. Live targets move left to right, up and down and move at variable speeds and at lateral obliques. Firing one bullet at each target should be done with a bolt action M40 sniper rifle, 300 meters and up- not with an M4/M16 with multiple targets between 50 to 300 meters.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top