JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's time for an M1A. I had a Scout Squad some years back and really liked it, so my first thought was to just get another one, but for some reason the SOCOM has started to appeal to me.

I'm not recoil sensitive, but I wonder if the shorter barrel makes much difference in the time back on target. I know they're loud because I heard one at the range.
Around here 100 yards is a really long shot, so the barrel length isn't a huge factor. But the whole idea of the M1A is to reach out and touch someone, so maybe stick with the Scout to retain the longer range option?

Also, does anyone know where to find Mossy Oak type M1A stocks? I'm coming up empty.

Thank you for your help.

I'm no help on your quest for the Mossy Oak, I went the traditional wood stock route from PSA.

Though, I did see that they have a listing for the M1A Mossy Oak so it is available from Springfield Armory that way.

Fed GMM 168gr averages 2442 fps from my 16" . That's the only factory ammo I've ran over the crono in 308 .
It's not as impressive as a 20 inch but it is so nice and handy . I've spent the last year reloading and shooting a 16" 308 exclusively and I absolutely love it, I haven't shot anothe r rifle in a year.
As you already said this isn't long shot country and a 400 yard shot is very hard to find . In all my time with loading and cronographing a 16" , it has plenty energy out to 500 for a fighting gun , probably kill black tail fine if you knew the drop .
The recoil isn't going to be an issue unless maybe barrel profile cuts weight drastically from the scout to the socom...... or the gas might be greater to make up for lost dwell time of the 16".... not sure on an m14 but the 16" 308 barrel is just awesome imo
Pick up the best deal you can and hydro dip the stock

I can still see some traces of my last hydro dip project. :rolleyes:
I'll just try to find one or go for black.

Thanks for the input gents.

Well I've decided on the Scout Squad. After really mulling it over, it makes sense for me.

I also found out that Springfield doesn't have a parts department on it's website. I only found out by calling them after being unable to find it.
I asked about it and was basically told that you have to call in and they'll help you out. How do you see something to check if it's correct?
What the heck? :confused:

It's not mossy oak.
It's like the Marines camo .
They also come in FDE .BLACK .and a light tan .
I can't help with the recoil lol
I haven't shot mine yet . HEHEE IMG_20190226_151947.jpg

I went through a buying spell last few months.
So I got three guns that I have had for a while and have not had a chance to to shoot them yet.

Cryptic camo I think that's what it is called I couldn't remember last night
I think they come in OD green also
I got that one because it was on sale at PSA
I wanted the FDE but they are hard to find .

Last Edited:
Try the m14forum.com.

I've seen the mossy oak stocks come up for sale occasionally in the PX. If nothing else, you could ask the other members for leads. Some of those guys have forgotten more about the M14/M1A than I'll ever know.

E68EA2C9-432A-4EFE-B7D4-F357C62787C1.jpeg I have a Springfield Armory, Inc Squad Scout that I picked up for less than a grand. It is now wearing a USGI walnut stock & USGI handguard. I'm thinking of installing a Smith USCG/USN suppressor on It.
The Squad Scout in my opinion is a better option than a SOCOM, it has the standard gas system.
I am having built a 22" M14 w/ a forged Bula Defense Systems NM medium weight barreled receiver and USGI parts and walnut stock.

The M14 forum is a great place for info on your rifle.

Last Edited:
Anyone here buy stocks from Fred's Stocks.
I got two on his 2 for ?.$ Was it 15$? $25?
Also picked up a Remington medium weight wood and need to bed the metal in it. That one sure "fills the hand".
My USGI build is TRW except the trigger(International?) and the recvr and national match cast front sight. Love these rifles.

Fred retired, but he still has some stocks & handguards he'll sell if it's a decent size $$$ order.

I'm in a holding pattern until and if/when my re-fi closes. Otherwise no M1A for me.

This might be common knowledge but here goes;
If you take a 45ACP empty case and fill it with grease or Tetra grease to about 1/8th inch from the top and press it onto the bolt roller it will fit nice and give it some juice.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top