JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
POINT#1
Sustainable: "of, relating to, or being a method of harvesting or using a resource so that the resource is not depleted or permanently damaged" merriam-webster

Next time some tree huger tries to go off on you for hunting tell them the definition of sustainable and how hunting is one of the truly sustainable & organic/free range means of food available. See if they have an answer to that.

POINT #2
Ask them if the consider themselves a conservationist? If they say yes tell them the definition;

Conservation: "To use carefully or sparingly, avoiding waste"

Then go on to explain that the state regulates hunting permits to protect the species from depletion or permanent damage. Which ties right into being sustainable.

They may go on about defenseless animals this or trophy hunting, but just stick to your guns. "If you eat meat then you are less sustainable than me. 1 deer can provide 65-100lbs of meat for my family how many trips to the grocery store does that take you? Besides that deer roamed free its entire life until I ethically harvested it".

POINT #3
A final point may be to talk about how much hunter dollars contribute to wildlife & habitat PRESERVATION/Restoration throughout the entire united states annually (including non-hunting wildlife). To the tune of apx $170 million annually. How much do anti-hunting, animal rights and pro-wolf groups provide to the states? A big fat zero.

Lets make it a point of being on the OFFENSIVE, not defensive. Educate those that make those passing comments when you're in camo just don't shrug them off. Talk to the people in the checkout line at the grocery store or clerk.

If they're actually willing to listen to reason they will see the light and maybe you can get someone to be more open to hunting.

POINT #.5
Make sure your friends, co-workers and family are interested in having a discussion about the topic or the "education" may come off as a lecture.

If someone does not respect hunting, it may be difficult to change their opinion with words. Your actions will have much more influence.
While I do not agree with sport/trophy hunting, I do understand and even envy those that responsibly hunt to put food on the table.

Valid point regarding the discussion, although if they maKe the initial contact then if it does come across as a lecture its moot. As for trophy hunting remember that while there #1 goal maybe different than those doing so for communion with nature and food it is illegal to waste meat. Therefore the end result is all the same.

I was unaware of that legality. For those that follow the law, I would then agree, the end result is the same.
I am now reminded of a bush pilot who ate very well due to the donations of Alaskan Trophy hunters.

The issues for those opposed to hunting seem to be more related to the humane treatment of animals. For those who disdain hunting, it is wrong to kill animals for sport. I don't think they they see it as a way for us to feed our families or as a service to the environment. To some, predatory behavior should be restricted to vegetation. Yet you won't see anyone shed a tear for the carrots... shame.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top