Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Have any of you heard of a Antique German Cape Gun (16 gauge/unknown)sidebyside

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Icheffood25, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Icheffood25

Icheffood25 Eugene,Or New Member

View attachment 49335 This gun is very old I cant find exact price. The antique roadshow appraised this gun at $2000 they also said the maker was Goetz? What is this gun worth and where beside here would you sell this antique gun. Is there a market? Thanks for all your input.

2. Icheffood25

3. Icheffood25

Whats your thoughts everyone?

4. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

Most of the value depends on the condition, caliber and the maker. What kind of shape is the bluing/metal,stock,bores, does everything mechanical function as it should are there any parts missing? Has anything been refinished/modified? Find out the caliber of the unknown bore and the maker are there any names or hallmarks or the rifle? If the chamber of the rifle barrel is for a different caliber then what most of those old cape guns are it may be worth a bit more. If the appraisal was correct at $2000 I would think realistically if you sold it on here it shold be in the $1200-1500 range, an auction but that could lead to disappointment, Guns International/Gunbroker or cabelas. Be prepared to pay some commision rate$ unless you sell it yourself.

5. Icheffood25

Thanks for your response! I am going to try to get this bad boy sold. Its made by a gun maker I can't find anything on"Goetz".

6. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Your firearm is called a hammer cape gun, made by H. Gotz & Co Berlin. 16 gauge in one barrel and probably 43 Mauser in the rifle barrel.

Another example can be seen here:

Hammer Combination Gun I Bought Today - The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com

Here's another example:

Collector Guns For Sale.....Serious Inquiries Only! | Facebook

Here is a higher quality one than yours that sold for $1100

Gold Inlaid and Engraved H. Gotz Berlin Side by Side Damascus Hammer Shotgun

Another gold engraved on of higher quality, sold for $1200

Gold Inlaid and Engraved H. Gotz Berlin Side by Side Damascus Hammer Shotgun

Another, similar grade to yours. Estimated value $600-$800

H. Gotz German Shotgun, 19th C. : Lot 448

7. Icheffood25

Thanks I think the stock is different on the 6- 8 hundred one. Thanks for your response.