JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone else store a handgun or rifle in their vehicle? Do you have a means of securing the firearm?

I wanted something in the truck so I could keep a gun in there as part of my survival pack. This is a pack of all the gear I would need if every trapped away from home overnight by a natural disaster or just getting lost in the woods.

I knew nothing is 100% secure but I wanted something that would defeat all but the most dedicated and equipped thief. Something that would deter the common criminal.

I found one of those "drawer safes" on sale at GI Joe's and it was a perfect fit for the space.

I installed it right behind the armrest between the seats. With the armrest up it is impossible to see but with the armrest down it is easily accessible from the drivers seat. Even with the armrest down it is very hard to see from outside the truck. It is very securely bolted to the carriage of the truck so it is not going anywhere either.

The added bonus is it keeps my tool bag from sliding around on tight corners.

I then went and bought some moisture resistant foam and made an insert to hold my XD-45acp securely in place while driving.

TS1.jpg

TS2.jpg

TS4.jpg

Looks great, and its better than the glove box, I have to keep my carry piece in the glove box of my car when I am at work. I wish there was something like this for use in a sedan other than mounting it in the trunk.

Is the drawer safe secured in anyway? Or could a person just take the safe with them? I'm looking into options like this for my vehicle while I'm at work. No guns allowed inside the office so I have to leave mine in my car.

Is the drawer safe secured in anyway? Or could a person just take the safe with them? I'm looking into options like this for my vehicle while I'm at work. No guns allowed inside the office so I have to leave mine in my car.
It is very securely bolted to the the main support frame of the truck through the floorboards. Four 8" bolts connected with steel brackets hold it to the frame.

Just out of curiousity, how much was it and did you do the install yourself??
I think the safe was around $45 and the hardware ran around $10.

Yes, I did it all myself. All it took was a drill, a wrench, some silcon (to make the bolt holes watertight), and some JB Weld (to secure the bolts and nuts together).

Looks great, and its better than the glove box, I have to keep my carry piece in the glove box of my car when I am at work. I wish there was something like this for use in a sedan other than mounting it in the trunk.

I have a small car and use a small locking box, just big enough to fit a pistol in and a cable lock designed for motorcycles/ ATV's. It's not perfect but it's a lot better than my glove box. I got the lock box from cabela's.

Really you could even just run a cable lock or coated cable and pad lock up the magazine well and out the ejection port or through the frame of a revolver and attach both ends to your seat frame. You'd have to use a smaller cable but it's better than nothing.

I just picked up one of the pacsafe bags that let you run a cable to something solid similar to the center-of-mass lock boxes. Except that it is flexible and more compact, so that you can stuff it into smaller spaces.

<broken link removed>

I built this for a friends car a while back. Can't show it completed and installed, sorry. Bolts to the subwoofer enclosure which is attached to the rear package tray. It is on drawer slides and will hold an AR pistol or SBR plus a BUNCH of ammo and magazines or a pistol, some ammo, mags and other safety, security items.

Has a lock I can't discuss in his but, I would be more than willing to design and/or custom build one for anyone who would like me to! I made this out of plywood to keep weight down but could use metal, mdf or some other material of choice.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top