JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I decided not to post a video to support my premise; they are too graphic, and one can do that on their own...Inoculation; I love dogs, but some owners really do some terrible and/or lousy things with them.

Do some (more) research on vicious dog attacks, then consider (re-consider) the effectiveness of dogs being integrated into a Rule of Law (R.O.L.) or post R.O.L. situation(s); particularly how to defend your position from a fast-moving and lethal adversary like a vicious dog.

R.O.L. reactions are basically governed by statute; 4 legged livestock, state property (wildlife) and people, and other pets can be defended from vicious or threatening dogs with lethal force (check your statutes). Don't color outside the lines in a R.O.L. situation..... but still have a plan which incorporates the minimum use of force as is necessary to protect life or your interests.

There are many examples; here are a couple-few (P.R.O.L.). Dogs can be utilized in urban environments; immediately following a breaching event or being let loose in a "safe zone" or refugee area to expose concealed weapons or combatants (another form of RECON by fire).

A dog's heightened sense of hearing and smell makes them a very useful tool in non-urban environments as well; they can be utilized to locate and fix your defensive location(s), disrupt your raid or attack, attack your flank(s) during movement, and/or even impede and disrupt your retrograde.

The time it takes to deal with an attack from a vicious dog is all the time it takes for a would-be human attacker to gain the acquisition advantage (upper hand) upon you or your family. You must reduce the threat and maintain situational awareness...

Now consider the effects of several vicious dogs...

Now consider which weapon system you would like to have in a R.O.L. and P.R.O.L. situation if one or more vicious dogs have been integrated into your scenario.

No need to share your own plan on an open thread; this is just a discussion. What may be helpful is for people to share how vicious dogs could be used...

Have a plan; "think outside the box, but don't color outside the lines...".

Ne Desit Virtus!

Last Edited:
PROL, outdoor, no friendlies in proximity: Flamethrower--even Cujo doesn't like the thought of being BBQ'ed much. Bonus, with the reach of an M2-2, you probably get their handlers too.

Part of me wants to say "have equal dogs of your own," but for me that's not an available option, since I have one of those personalities that brings out a Cujo in even Lassie or Rin Tin Tin.

I am confused...are you asking what weapon we think is best if we/I am being attacked by several dogs? I had to read the posting 3 times and that is what I think you are asking. If that is true I would also go with flamethrower but that us not really realistic so I would say short barreled shotgun next.

Hunting (or war) dogs aren't pets.

99.9% of people have pets.

5.56 will deter most dogs the size of a coyote...

I also am confused by the question - I'm not afraid of wild yotes so people's pets aren't of concern too me I guess.o_O

Sorry about any confusion; I thought if I underlined the sentence...

"What may be helpful is for people to share how vicious dogs could be used..."

Some thinkers would have a valid argument that even the sharing dog tactics in an open thread would educate current and future bad actors.

Joe13; you shared 3 great perspectives.

Lembene; which shotgun load for dogs?

This is supposed to be a non-canned thinking thread.

Yes, it would educate them, but it would also put them On Notice that people are anticipating their tricks and developing countermeasures.

I don't remember if it was FM 21-76 Survival or one of the other military SERE manuals, but there were quite a few thoughts about dog problems (mainly trackers) in at least one of those...

Another counter-dog trick is to have some old-school Korean buddies--the kind of folks who think "wok your dog" is cooking rather than exercise.

I see no reason why hearing and smell would be affected by low-light conditions.

I just checked my copy of FM 21-76 and while a excellent read it does not have information regarding dogs or trackers.

I went to and passed the Army's SERE school , it was brutal.
We did have classes in dogs and how to evade them.
At the moment I do not remember any FM's being available to students , it was more of a "hands on" type of school.
Andy

Last Edited:
A good dog at your side is like having a superhero.

That being said. They are not hard to stop. Just keep your wits and remember.
There is no flight with a big dog. So you better have good tools with which to fight. ;)

20130614_054223.jpg

Since I don't own a flame thrower!o_O If I were being attacked by a dog or a pack I would rather have my shotgun at my side. Dogs can move a hell of a lot quicker than I can. My vision goes to dove hunting and how hard they are to hit because of the way they fly.

It would be real hard to hit a dog with my AR unless you saw it coming from a distance. You wouldn't have to be as accurate with a shotgun if they sneak up on you. ;)

Get good with a semi-auto shotgun, some bacon treats and learn how to field prep game? Maybe hit them first with some tactical sounding jargon.

Considering the SHTF probability of starving hoards and empty stores, lack of game, the masses' inability to prep, no power for refrigeration....dogs, cats, parakeets, goldfish, hamsters, etc..are going to be needing their own survival plans! Quickly enough, their food could become our food too, unless it's being used to fatten 'em up. You aren't the only guy learning (that learned) about ways to "neutralize" dogs...
eg....Over the past years we've had exchange students from Haiti...their stories have been similar in that pets, guard dogs and even the birds in the trees didn't last very long when the food ran out.
'Nuther eg....horses and dogs only got to attend the first part of the Donner Party.

Last Edited:
Sorry about any confusion; I thought if I underlined the sentence...

"What may be helpful is for people to share how vicious dogs could be used..."

1. Slow cooked and then put in a tortilla.
2. Roasted rotisserie style over a camp fire.
3. Their fur could be used for hats and clothes.

"Thinking outside the box" here buddy, but this is what I'd do with vicious dogs...

I just checked my copy of FM 21-76 and while a excellent read it does not have information regarding dogs or trackers.

I went to and passed the Army's SERE school , it was brutal.
We did have classes in dogs and how to evade them.
At the moment I do not remember any FM's being available to students , it was more of a "hands on" type of school.
Andy
Thanks, Andy; I'll go back through my collection and see if I can find the one that suggested killing and field-dressing an enemy dog as PSYWAR against the handler, or if it was just a hallucination.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top