JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I watched the 5th and 6th season of MeatEater, then watched season 1 and then in 2 finally saw a gear review about the knife I see him use for everything from skinning to eating with and wondered wth it was.

Turns out it's this:
IMG_1425.PNG

As I have XL hands I this one caught my eye:
IMG_1426.PNG

Does anyone have any opinions on these knives that you change the blades out when it gets dull?

I am pretty good and putting an edge on a knife and have plenty to pick from so I don't really see the need for it but if it's the shiz then I might put it on my wish list.

Any thoughts or reviews would be great! Thanks:cool:

I have used the havalon for the last 3 seasons and won't go back to a conventional Knife. Blades are razor Sharpe and takes 10 seconds to put a fresh blade on. The only thing is you need to very careful and have steady hands or you will cut yourself.
I went to this style because it saves on weight in my pack. 1 Knife and a couple blades vs a knife and a stone to sharpen it, plus the time it saves in the field.

For a guy that can't sharpen a knife and is not willing to spend the money to get a knife with good steel that will stay sharp through an elk or deer
they would be great . I like a real knife that doesn't use injector razor blades and have a plastic handle.
IMG_0314.jpg

I get the idea of the interchangeable blades.
The light weight and blaze orange "grippy" handles makes sense to me too.
But being the old fashioned guy that I am ... Not for me.
I am sure they will work fine for many folks however.
Just for fun here are my most used hunting / camp knives.
Andy
DSC05780.jpg
DSC06039.jpg

He probably doesn't need a real knife, what with the deep logistical chain following him around during the show.. and the fact that they likely give him money to use their product.

:hide
it looks pretty nifty though

Yes get one. I have 70? knives around here in most configurations and the little Havalon is my fave for prossesing game.
I have the piranha and the baracuta (yes that's how it's spelled)
The baracuta has two locking blades,for the little ones and the other end for the big blades. You can get a bunch of different blades for them,including one that has a dull end for hole free skinning

Yes get one. I have 70? knives around here in most configurations and the little Havalon is my fave for prossesing game.
I have the piranha and the baracuta (yes that's how it's spelled)
The baracuta has two locking blades,for the little ones and the other end for the big blades. You can get a bunch of different blades for them,including one that has a dull end for hole free skinning

You sound like quite the knife connoisseur, so maybe you can answer a question: Have you tried the new outdoor edge knives that resemble the havalon? Basically the same idea with switch out style razor blades, but with different ergo's that look a little more pleasing to my eye. The reason I ask is because I've been totally impressed with my outdoor edge Kodi Pak 3 knife set. The new razor from outdoor edge also comes in a folder as well... Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

You sound like quite the knife connoisseur, so maybe you can answer a question: Have you tried the new outdoor edge knives that resemble the havalon? Basically the same idea with switch out style razor blades, but with different ergo's that look a little more pleasing to my eye. The reason I ask is because I've been totally impressed with my outdoor edge Kodi Pak 3 knife set. The new razor from outdoor edge also comes in a folder as well... Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
No I haven't even handled those yet. They used to be kind of a cheezy company but I have seen lots of guys on you tube using them. Sponsored I would guess? Hey if it works good that's all that matters. The havalon blades do pop off once in a while,so they're not perfect.
But the OE would be a redundant kit,yeah like that matters to me,lol
Funny,never thought of myself as a knife connoisseur. Collector yes,fancy names? Not so much:D

Thanks ... But no I did not.
The overall length is 7 inches and blade length is 3 inches.
The knife is forged from some sort of tool steel. ( not sure which )
What I am sure of is that is can take and keep a wicked sharp edge for a long while.

It is a very handy and user friendly knife.
Hazel at:
Sideros Designs made it. She calls it her "Rat" knife
Note .... the scabbard is a "aftermarket" one.
Andy

Last Edited:
I never saw the show but my dad sent me a Case xx custom Kodak when I was young and I took one look at it and thought it was a nice gesture and so it sat in a drawer for years.
kkkkk.jpg

The day came I had a chance to use it on a large animal.
By the time I was done, my impression of that chrome plated commercial steel and bone handle knife had changed.
It was still cutting like a razor with just the wave of a steel on occasion.
I have liked Case knives from that day on. There bone handle surgical steel pocket knives are also amazing stuff.

As for what knife to use, a larger knife makes the work much easier and it stays sharper longer on large animals. Although for a number of years wile hunting deer I just used my USA made three bladed buck # 307 wrangler, thinking it had good steel in.
hhhhh.jpg

Once I used a case knife I never looked back.
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
What I am sure of is that is can take and keep a wicked sharp edge for a long while.

Hazel at:
Andy
I too really like that little knife! Would make an awesome little work blade for gutting and such! Probably made from an old leaf spring or a big azz ball bearing! Cool Knife Andy.

So I watched the 5th and 6th season of MeatEater, then watched season 1 and then in 2 finally saw a gear review about the knife I see him use for everything from skinning to eating with and wondered wth it was.

Turns out it's this:
View attachment 350513

As I have XL hands I this one caught my eye:
View attachment 350514

Does anyone have any opinions on these knives that you change the blades out when it gets dull?

I am pretty good and putting an edge on a knife and have plenty to pick from so I don't really see the need for it but if it's the shiz then I might put it on my wish list.

Any thoughts or reviews would be great! Thanks:cool:
yes. get one.

I love mine! Not an injector razor blade, but a scalpel blade. Super sharp! I've had mine for three years and changed the blade once! Mostly I use it for scalpel stuff, lancing, splinter removal, etc. It's the bomb for that type of thing! :D

Last Edited:

Hazel at:
Andy
I see how it acquired its name!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews