JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw an ad at Safeway for Hatch chilies. If you are a fresh chilie kinda person these are not to be missed. I was introduced to them in Santa Fe while doing some research on New Mexican foods. The season is short but the flavor is long. Every grocery store roasts them in their parking lots and you can't swing a dead cat from Santa Fe to Taos without hitting a roadside stand doing the same.
Chile Facts & Recipes

Warning.png
Chile must be kept very cool and wet, preferably on ice while being transported. Chile should be frozen immediately. Chile will spoil very quickly (within a couple of days) if it is not kept properly. A cooler with ice is the best way to transport chile.

• One fresh medium-sized green chile pod has as much Vitamin C as six oranges.
  • One teaspoon of dried red chile powder has the daily requirements of Vitamin A.
  • Hot chile peppers burn calories by triggering a thermodynamic burn in the body, which speeds up the metabolism.
  • Teas & lozenges are made with chile peppers for the treatment of a sore throat.
  • Capsaicinoids, the chemical that make chile peppers hot, are used in muscle patches for sore and aching muscles.
  • Chile peppers are relatives of tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplants, all belonging to the nightshade family.
  • The color extracted from very red chile pepper pods, oleoresin, is used in everything from lipstick to processed meats.
  • There are 26 known species of chile pepper, five of which are domesticated.
Adapted from the New Mexico Chile Institutes' "Chile Pepper Facts"

Award Winning Recipes from the Annual Hatch Chile Festival Cookbook icon-facebook-sm.png
For more information about red and green Chile and more recipes please visit our Facebook Page.

Red Chile Posole

• 3 to 4 c. pork roast
  • 4c. red chile sauce
  • 1 large can hominy
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
Cut fat from meat then cut into small pieces. Cook meat in small amount of water until done. Mix 1c. water and 2 tsp. flour together in small amount of water until done. Mix 1 c. water and 2 tsp. flour together. Add meat with chile sauce, cumin and garlic. Simmer for 1 hr. Add hominy. Simmer until meat is tender.

Green Enchilada by Misty Weathers-2nd place (year unknown, but I remember Misty was just a teenager at the time)

• 2 cans creamy chicken mushroom soup
  • 1 can water
  • 2 dozen corn tortillas
  • 1 lb. grated cheese
  • chopped onion
  • garlic powder to taste
  • chopped Hatch Valley Green Chile
Mix soup, water, garlic and chile. Cook soup for a few minutes. Heat tortillas. Roll small amounts of cheese and onions in tortillas and place in pan. Pour soup mixture over tortillas and bake for 30-40 minutes. Serve.

Chile Cheese Ball

• 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 med. can crushed pineapple with juice
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped green onions
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped green onions
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped bell pepper
  • 1/4 c. chopped green chile
  • 1 c. chopped pecans
  • 1 tsp. seasoned salt
Place cream cheese in bowl, add remaining ingredients, use only 1/2 cup pecans, and mix well. Leave in refrigerator overnight. Before serving, form into ball and roll in leftover pecans. Serve with crackers.

I grow chilies. I prefer straight Anaheims to Hatch. Just looked at the new crop Hatch at Freddy's and they had awfully thin "Meat", tough to roast/peel/clean without falling apart. I'll take a nice thick meated Anaheim, or for a little more zip a Poblano. For heat, homegrown jalapeno, not the mild store bought version. More heat wanted, go with Serrano.

If you're into it, you can roast the chilis over the large hotplate on the stove. Use two bread cooling racks crossed, set the plate near high and scorch to skin evenly. Put them in a plastic bag to steam for 15 min or so, remove skin, slit open and remove seeds. I slice mine lengthwise into 1/4"-1/2" strips and put them in sandwich bags and freeze. when you want some just slip one end out of the bag and slice off what you need.

If I have time I make my own red chili sauce by simmering dried California or Mexico chilies. Then scraped the re-hydrated meat from the skins and go from there. And with that posole, be sure to have cilantro, finely shredded cabbage, onion, lime, radish. Make sure that you don't use injected "Always Tender/Juicy Pork". Safeway is where I buy my pork.

I like cooking Mexican!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads