JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
The title kind of says it; have you observed the shortages, inflation, et al., impacting radio equipment? In particular those related to amateur radio, GMRS, and Citizen Band.

(The reason for my asking is I'm back on a long running GMRS-based project for family comms. One vehicle is already fully set up. I have a repeater already, but need to set it up at the house. My primary vehicle is going to be replaced very soon, so I'm trying to decide to pull the trigger on a good transceiver now or just wait until Ford is done. As to the rest of the project, I think some older, funkier GMRS units given to me by my father-in-law will work, but I'm not 100% positive at this point. So, long story short, and I know "too late", at least one rig needs to be bought soon, with possible other radios or related gear.)

Thanks much.

I don't think one can predict a shortage. Another consideration is be inflation. If you know the make and model you want to purchase then acquire it now?

What are these GMRS/FRS you speak of ?

hamstudy.org

Most improperly informed buyers will purchase a programable piece of chop suey and figure that since they paid for the radio they can and do use it any everywhere.
Bunch of plug and play appliance abusers.

GMRS licenses are purchasing a participation trophy.

Get educated. Get licensed. Get involved with a club that can stand your idiotsyncracies. Find a club you can tolerate and help where you can.

So label me a fudd, but understand I have been licensed less than 10 years. My original contact with radio was over 50 years ago and for one reason or another I resisted taking the test. Having had a general radiotelephone license for work for decades my testing went easily. I don't know why I waited. Maybe it's something like the inspection at any time for any reason clause as well as needing a real address.
No matter what the reasons, I'm an amateur extra class license holder. I became a volunteer examiner within a month of getting my license.

And no, I've seen no end to the low budget, programable pos out of China.
Yeasu, Icom, Kenwood and others extending the production life of older models to meet demand.
Mail order rarely if ever out of stock.
The yearly swap meet was a bunch of garbage but has been for years.

you can have the soap box back

KJ7ZNH

IMG_20220725_092108851.jpg

hamstudy.org

Most improperly informed buyers will purchase a programable piece of chop suey and figure that since they paid for the radio they can and do use it any everywhere.

Get educated. Get licensed. Get involved with a club that can stand your idiotsyncracies. Find a club you can tolerate and help where you can.

So label me a fudd, but understand I have been licensed less than 10 years. My original contact with radio was over 50 years ago and for one reason or another I resisted taking the test. Having had a general radiotelephone license for work for decades my testing went easily. I don't know why I waited. Maybe it's something like the inspection at any time for any reason clause as well as needing a real address.
No matter what the reasons, I'm an amateur extra class license holder. I became a volunteer examiner within a month of getting my license.

Yeasu, Icom, Kenwood and others extending the production life of older models to meet demand.

Sad HAMs are sad….

hamstudy.org

Are the plug and play appliance abusers in the room with us right now?

42AA1DC8-9769-42E9-9257-FBF525D2EBF5.jpeg

hamstudy.org

Not everyone wants to be a radio nerd and pick up another hobby. We just want something that works. GMRS is great for cases like my wife and I who just need something to communicate with each other when traveling in separate vehicles. It's also great when I'm out wheeling with other people.

There's no way in hell my wife is even remotely interested in doing all the studying and crap required just so we can use certain bands of the spectrum. GMRS is just one payment, done and done and covers both of us.

This HAM snobbery is the exact thing that pushes me away from it.

There's no way in hell my wife is even remotely interested in doing all the studying and crap required just so we can use certain bands of the spectrum. GMRS is just one payment, done and done and covers both of us.
$35 for ten years for 14 frequencies.
$35 for ten years for frequencies that span HF to VHF and UHF.

https://hamstudy.org/ I've tested a 9-year-old girl that passed her technician test.

Point out where I was more of a snob and less than informative .

This isn't about participation trophies, snobbery (I come from CB radio fer g-sakes) or studying for a post doctoral degree. The particular thread was (and is still, I think) about possible shortages in communications radio equipment. All I'm attempting to do here is provide options.

This HAM snobbery is the exact thing that pushes me away from it.
Have you experienced this 'snobbery' personally or just believing what you read or see?

My experience with HAM radio (2 years now) has been excellent. I have met many great (and generous) people, get help with any questions or issues I have and have been given several pieces of equipment to get started.

Also, most of the HAMs I know are more than happy talk to anyone who is interested in it and will give them any info or help they need.

Last Edited:
Have you experienced this 'snobbery' personally?
Yes, several times. A lot (not all, of course) of the people I encountered were some of the most vile, self-righteous SOBs I've ever encountered in any hobby. Some suggesting the will "find you and jam your signals if you're caught even listening without a license". They belittle and regurgitate rules endlessly anytime you ask a question or give you the "it's in the handbook, go look it up" kind of stuff.

My BIL has been a HAM his whole life, and has encountered the same when his son started learning it.

But again, I'm not interested in another hobby. It was a mild curiosity a while ago and I've moved on. GMRS works for what my wife and I need. I'm not looking to talk to every Tom, Dick and Harry on the planet.

$35 for ten years for 14 frequencies.
$35 for ten years for frequencies that span HF to VHF and UHF.

https://hamstudy.org/ I've tested a 9-year-old girl that passed her technician test.

Point out where I was more of a snob and less than informative .

This isn't about participation trophies, snobbery (I come from CB radio fer g-sakes) or studying for a post doctoral degree. The particular thread was (and is still, I think) about possible shortages in communications radio equipment. All I'm attempting to do here is provide options.
I have some helpful advice for anyone with a Baofeng UV-5R. The roger beep is a very important signal to send, and is appreciated by everybody because it informs the end of your transmission. To activate the roger beep, simply follow these instructions:
  1. Turn on your uv-5r radio
  2. Press the menu button
  3. Enter in the number "39"
  4. Press the menu button again
  5. Use the arrow key to toggle "OFF" to "ON"
  6. Press the menu button to confirm
  7. Press the exit button to return to the transmission mode.
Remember, hams love the roger beep. Make sure it is enabled so that everyone can appreciate your radio operating skills!

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads