JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In Alaska's Denali National Park, a hiker shot and killed a grizzly bear he claims was charging his companion. While the self-defense claim remains to be investigated, it is certainly plausible, and certain details lend the claim credence. If true, one or perhaps two human lives have almost certainly been saved by the rule change.

<broken link removed>

Thank God.
I'm sorry but I wouldn't vist a place where I can defend myself. Bank, ok. Federal building, ok. Airport, great. But wilderness? Bears? Bad guys they can argue won't hurt you if you comply. Anybody will contest a bear don't care if your a nice person or how loud you scream. Your dinner.

The only question should be, What gun to take?

You can't carry in a bank in Washington?

No, it's legal to carry in a bank in Washington. Some other states it isn't though. States all have strange requirements. In Washington it's the no open carry in a vehicle unless you have your CPL thing, in Florida you can't carry in a hospital...

It was already legal to carry in many of the parks in Alaska for this very reason. Bush pilots are required to carry a firearm as part of their survival gear.

bank carry in WA - good to go

Unloaded Open Carry in a vehicle in WA - good to go (must have a CPL to carry a loaded handgun in WA).

Decades ago I knew a guy who had the honor of being the first man mauled by a grizzly bear in Denali National Park in seventy-five years. He was a city-slicker executive from Los Angeles who wanted to vacation as far out in the wild as he could, and he achieved it! He told the tale with great "em-bear-ressment."

He and his buddy were unarmed (anti-gun, in fact). They had been eating a lot of smoked salmon and wiping their greasy fingers on their jeans. They both wore scented deoderant. And they decided to take a cross-country shortcut between two trails, through a blueberry thicket valley. Uh, huh.

They went through all of the classic "steps" to deal with a bear attack, finally doing their best to play dead while the bear knocked them around and experimentally chewed on them. They figure it all lasted over an hour! What probably saved them is they both voided their bladders and bowels in all of the excitement, and basically fainted from the fear.

The very worst part was when the bear stopped several times, sat back on his butt, and cursed them out in bear language---just sat there and growled and rumbled at them! They realized that they had really p-o-ed an intelligent being and that he was really angry at them for insulting his intelligence! Finally, the bear drifted away, and they lived the shame of reporting the attack to the Park Rangers.

After surviving all of that, ironically several weeks later in Los Angeles a daytime burglar stole ten of his thousand-dollar business suits! Yet he remained anti-gun, and still disapproved of me teaching a mutual friend to shoot to defend herself. Yeah, I was the crazy one..........................elsullo :p

So we assume this was really a bear attack rather than just an excuse to pop off a magazine into a bear?I wasn't there, but "It was coming right at me" is a good excuse for the trigger-happy to blaze away at wildlife.
Did you even read the story? Your concerns are addressed within the first few paragraphs.

I'm not sure many people would willingly go "hunting" a Grizzly bear with a .45 cal pistol. They'd be either really "brave" or incredibly stupid.

Did you even read the story? Your concerns are addressed within the first few paragraphs.

I'm not sure many people would willingly go "hunting" a Grizzly bear with a .45 cal pistol. They'd be either really "brave" or incredibly stupid.

Gee, I read the ENTIRE right-wing blog you linked, which pulled all of ITS information from another right-wing blog. I read that too. Still, no joy. Where was the part establishing that this shooter's explanation ("It was attacking my girlfriend, and I courageously saved her life") was verified? Looks like it's still under investigation, so maybe not such a clear case?

I'm not ready to give up on the "incredibly stupid" (or "incredibly irresponsible") theory. Why are you so ready to believe this guy? What do we know about him (other than that he seems to have been pretty reckless about where he was "hiking")?

Why are you so ready to believe this guy?

I know that bears are "giant, marauding, godless killing machines"

1295190.png

and the number one threat to America!

<broken link removed>

http://www.tshirtbordello.com/Number-1-Threat-To-America-Bears-T-Shirt

threatdown.jpg

That cute bear in the photo is a sweet little Black Bear (sometimes seen in shades of brown, but still little and cute.)

The Brown Bear is known as the Grizzly bear, and is a horse of a different color! The Alaska Brown Bear is sometimes known as a Kodiak Bear, though they are sometimes black.

Brown bears are never said to be "sweet" or "little".....................elsullo :s0131:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top