JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought 500 a month ago and have not loaded any yet since I have some Sierra 69g HPBT load development rounds that I haven't got around to bench shoot yet.

They do mention on the site that they used corncob media to wash these and there are media in some of the tips, not all though. Roughly 60%.

I just pulled these out again to check and took a straight pin and popped out most of the media that was in there and they do not have any differences in weight on my RCBS charge master scale. The weight of these varies from 69.0 to 69.1g. I did separate some the bullets that had no corncob media in the tip and some that did and I cleaned them out. I will load some up and do a comparison test pretty soon.

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets ... llets-new/

C9A1E212-2F85-4E65-8368-D428A0856511.jpeg

Last Edited:
The Sierra brand of 69 grain BTHPs have been around for more than 20 years. They are good for loading AR magazine sized (COAL) rounds.

You're on your own as to figuring out your favorite loads. Meaning : I don't have a particular recipe for you.

That being said.....there is plenty of data available through various reloading manuals and web sites.

Aloha, Mark

Lewiston ID, huh? Interesting..
Yeah I'm SUPER curious to see your reports back on this I light just have to sign up for email alerts on this one. I love supporting ID businesses. They are cheap too, look decent. .1gn variation is great, A+. I wouldn't let the corn cob media worry you at all. The IMI 9MM jhp stuff has corn cob in the tips too kinda somewhat common.

Edit: thanks for posting about these.

I've done some limited testing with these bullets and 3 different powders, CFE 223, AR Comp, and TAC. Don't remember velocities off hand, I don't have my data in front of me, but accuracy was only so so out of a RRA Varmint .223 Wylde upper with a 20" heavy barrel. Best group at 100 yards (AR Comp, near max) was about an inch, that same rifle will do half that with a flat based 55 gr. bullet. For the price, I have no complaints, but I wouldn't consider them a "match" quality bullet, more suitable for range/blasting ammo IMO. I suppose I could do more testing, but there's only so much you can do with the AR platform, I might be more motivated if I still had a bolt .223. Later.

Dave

I've done some limited testing with these bullets and 3 different powders, CFE 223, AR Comp, and TAC. Don't remember velocities off hand, I don't have my data in front of me, but accuracy was only so so out of a RRA Varmint .223 Wylde upper with a 20" heavy barrel. Best group at 100 yards (AR Comp, near max) was about an inch, that same rifle will do half that with a flat based 55 gr. bullet. For the price, I have no complaints, but I wouldn't consider them a "match" quality bullet, more suitable for range/blasting ammo IMO. I suppose I could do more testing, but there's only so much you can do with the AR platform, I might be more motivated if I still had a bolt .223. Later.

Dave
Hey, thanks a bunch for the report Dave. Yeah for me I'll stick with spending more money to make my time worth more in the end. I dont want to waste time powder and money on not hitting what I'm aiming at or getting frustrated thinking maybe my position is off etc. Or even worse wind.. I'm happy to pay to play well.

Dave
God to know. Those rifles are generally pretty accurate too.

Looks like I did more testing than I remembered, guys, I found chrono data for H335 and 8208XBR as well. With the exception of H335, all the other powders got me around 2900 FPS at max, 335 was in the low 2800's. Best SD was with CFE 223, with a charge of 25.2 gr. it got 2829 FPS avg., SD of 6.8. Accuracy did NOT correlate with SD, and as already stated, nothing was especially impressive. Worth noting, I'm pretty meticulous with my test loads, all charges were weighed and cross checked on my balance beam scale, all brass was the same brand and lot, all trimmed to 1.75", all got a light taper crimp with a Lee FCD. COAL was the same for all powders, 2.25" IIRC. Like I said, if I still had a bolt .223 it might be worth experimenting with seating depth, but not much wiggle room there in the AR platform. So to reiterate, good range bullet IMO, but definitely NOT match grade, at least not for me. If ya'll are interested in the details, I'll put together a summary table of my results. Later.

Dave

Looks like I did more testing than I remembered, guys, I found chrono data for H335 and 8208XBR as well. With the exception of H335, all the other powders got me around 2900 FPS at max, 335 was in the low 2800's. Best SD was with CFE 223, with a charge of 25.2 gr. it got 2829 FPS avg., SD of 6.8. Accuracy did NOT correlate with SD, and as already stated, nothing was especially impressive. Worth noting, I'm pretty meticulous with my test loads, all charges were weighed and cross checked on my balance beam scale, all brass was the same brand and lot, all trimmed to 1.75", all got a light taper crimp with a Lee FCD. COAL was the same for all powders, 2.25" IIRC. Like I said, if I still had a bolt .223 it might be worth experimenting with seating depth, but not much wiggle room there in the AR platform. So to reiterate, good range bullet IMO, but definitely NOT match grade, at least not for me. If ya'll are interested in the details, I'll put together a summary table of my results. Later.

Dave
Nice write up.

Dave
No I think I'm good, you coveted it pretty thoroughly well enough for me. Go spend your valuable time doing some other test loads for us! ;)

Seriously though good info, thank you!

I bought 500 a month ago and have not loaded any yet since I have some Sierra 69g HPBT load development rounds that I haven't got around to bench shoot yet.

They do mention on the site that they used corncob media to wash these and there are media in some of the tips, not all though. Roughly 60%.

I just pulled these out again to check and took a straight pin and popped out most of the media that was in there and they do not have any differences in weight on my RCBS charge master scale. The weight of these varies from 69.0 to 69.1g. I did separate some the bullets that had no corncob media in the tip and some that did and I cleaned them out. I will load some up and do a comparison test pretty soon.

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets ... llets-new/

View attachment 1237138
The ones with corncob media still stuck in the HP helps you shoot through picket fences…..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top