JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The velocity on some of those has to have a negative effect on your barrel life. Not to mention that if you ever did shoot someone, the DA would have a field day with the use of this "special purpose" ammo. I would love to hear feedback from someone that has actually used this stuff. Kip.

The best thing you can do to keep yourself from going down that legal questioning road in court, is to carry what the Police do.

Any of the current street and ballistically tested commercial ammo models on the market will do you fine in any situation you'll find yourself in.

There's too many 'gimmicky' and so called 'special' ammo rounds out there. If they were all that, LE and the like would be flocking to them...they aint.

But just like most 'gimmicky' crap...make a product, have the public believe they can't live without it, and go for the monetary kill!

There is something to be said about 'gimicky' products in the firearms market place; there are a bunch of them after all. I agree with what wichaka said about commercially available defensive ammo getting the job done.

However, there is something to be said for high velocity and ammo performance. Think about this, although it is not a fair comparison. The average police .40 S&W pistol bullet is 160-180 gr. and travels about 1000 fps. The average 7.62 rifle bullet is 168 gr. traveling at say 2700 fps. The smaller diamater rifle bullet that is generally lighter in weight, is vastly more effective...hmmm.

I also think that if you focus, say during a court defense, on the fact that the ammo in question is designed for limited penetration thus making it safer for the public if you have to fire your 'dangerous handgun' and there are other people around; other than just the bad guy that is.

The important thing about shooting others is that the shooting is 'justified' in the first place. Remember, to shoot someone is still homicide, and you will have to defend your actions.

In Wa the RCW (see below) does not mention what you have to shoot them with.

RCW 9A.16.050

Homicide — By other person — When justifiable.

Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his or her presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his or her presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he or she is.

Very well put by both wichaka and gunjunky. You are correct in that a specific bullet is not mentioned in the law. If you think for one moment that a prosecuting attorney won't bring it up you are kidding yourself. Even if you are within the law, you still have a jury with emotions and biases, in your favor or otherwise. The use of "extra-deadly" ammo has swayed cases in the past. I would rather go to court with a spent casing from a Winchester Ranger than a Hornady ZombieMax. I think that is obvious. As far as the gimmicks go, I don't fall for that. I use FMJ in my .45's and I find Winchester Ranger's to be as effective as any higher priced "defensive" ammo in other calibers. When you have a .357mag at defensive ranges, it barely matters what is coming out of the barrel. It's gonna end badly with a 125gr. HP or a 180gr. solid. Kip.

Hi.

Newbie here. I just happened to run across this topic while browsing.

I have some RBCD in 9mm and .38 special. In my limited experience, it's been reliable. However, the one thing I find suspicious are the ballistics they post on their web site while claiming that their loads are all "standard pressure", never +P.

This I find hard to believe. I don't see how you can post those numbers without loading your rounds to +P. It seems to me the company is either being dishonest, or they've found a magic powder formula for their ammo.

Any thoughts?

I've shot it in the past and still use it in my .32auto.
Cost is the reason you wont see any LE's carrying it.
If any of you can show a case where someone got screwed on a justified shooting because of the ammo they used I would like to see it. Justified shootings dont go to trial.

I've shot it in the past and still use it in my .32auto.
Cost is the reason you wont see any LE's carrying it.
If any of you can show a case where someone got screwed on a justified shooting because of the ammo they used I would like to see it. Justified shootings dont go to trial.

Have you ever had a problem with it, e.g. ruptured or bulged casings, FTE?

No problems I've shot it in 32 auto,9MM,10MM and 45ACP.

That's cool! Which 10mm did you shoot it from? I own a G29, and I've been tempted to buy some. However, there's a pic floating around the internet on another forum from a guy who had a blown case shooting the stuff from his G20. That makes me hesitant to use it. Did you shoot yours from a Glock?

If you buy some check the velocities with a chronograph.

They advertise their 9x18 at 1850 fps. I shot 5 rounds over my chrony; 4 ran 1558 - 1641 fps; the 5th ran 1032 fps and did not have the energy to cycle the slide.

They advertise their 9x18 bullet as weighing 45-grains. I pulled one and it weighed 39.2-grains.

I reported these results to them by email and received a less-than-courteous reply.

That's cool! Which 10mm did you shoot it from? I own a G29, and I've been tempted to buy some. However, there's a pic floating around the internet on another forum from a guy who had a blown case shooting the stuff from his G20. That makes me hesitant to use it. Did you shoot yours from a Glock?
I fired it out of a glock 20

I fired it out of a glock 20

Thanks for the info. I hear that Glock barrels are "unsupported". I don't know if that applies to the 10mm models. It seems that the chambers should be supported for such a powerful round.

I have an aftermarket Storm Lake barrel for my G29. It does have a supported chamber, so I may fire the RBCD from my 29 using that instead of the factory standard barrel.

Thanks for the info. I hear that Glock barrels are "unsupported". I don't know if that applies to the 10mm models. It seems that the chambers should be supported for such a powerful round.

I have an aftermarket Storm Lake barrel for my G29. It does have a supported chamber, so I may fire the RBCD from my 29 using that instead of the factory standard barrel.

There not a +p type round they ran fine out of my glocks I shoot alot of 180gr loads @1300fps out of my 20 with no problems.

OK.. Police carry what the salesmen sells the department. The factory sends an engineer over to the dept heads and tells them why their ammo is better for police to use.
Don't get it twisted that it is anything but money.
Only reason anything changes at any municipality.Someone making money

As far as "court cases",you may need a new lawyer if the ammo question isn't taken care of easily.
Any ammo or gun I am using,I am using to stop the threat as quickly as possible,without any collateral damage. The ammo I am using is the most accurate I can get for my gun and powerful enough to stop the threat,without having to shoot too many shots.Reducing the chance of hitting innocent bystanders.

If your lawyer can't get that bought,he needs fired.

Or do you say,"I was using a weak round cause I dinnent wanna hurt no one" ?
Yeah that would get the jury on your side

Any of the current street and ballistically tested commercial ammo models on the market will do you fine in any situation you'll find yourself in.

There's too many 'gimmicky' and so called 'special' ammo rounds out there. If they were all that, LE and the like would be flocking to them...they aint.

That ain't necessarily so. Most of the premium performance ammo on the market today is the cutting edge of technology. Not all police agencies buy, or approve ammo based on performance. Many select duty ammo because of the attitude that "It's worked for us in the past, no reason to think this new stuff is any better."

Perhaps the biggest factor in ammo purchases and here we're talking about thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of rounds for duty and qualification, is price. Virtually all police agencies are on very restricted budgets and unfortunately it is the street cop who puts his or her butt on the line with less than the best. I know, because I'm one of the guys who tried to get the best for the officers but faced an uphill battle with the bean counters.

It is not true that cops only carry the best. Once upon a time that was the case, but hasn't been since the late 1980's.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top