Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

has anyone seen this product? Safety Bullet

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by dakaham, Jan 20, 2012.

1. dakaham

dakaham Albany, Oregon, United States Active Member

Ok so i ran across this ad tonight.

Firearm Safety

Is it me or does this thing look like a bit of a joke? A device that if chambered and fired will lock up your weapon. While im sure the inventor is well intentioned it looks it could get you killed in the heat of an incident pretty easily. Just my $.02. What do you guys think?

2. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

What ever happened to just hitting your kids if they violate the house laws of "No playing with tools"?

Of course, you - not you specifically - wouldn't have to hit your kids if you A) Teach them correctly B) Teach yourself not to be a lazy owner.

/End rant

borrowedsig and (deleted member) like this.
  3. sadiesassy

sadiesassy Prescott Active Member

Agree with Asp
    When I grew up - my parents never locked up guns - they sat in an open gun rack
    But I will tell you even though we were educated well- My father could walk in and tell if a gun had been moved or removed. Npt sure how - But we were caught at least once

Asp and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

What is it - a dud round and you rack the slide to reload? I don't get it.

When I was a kid, my dad had a .22lr, 30-30 and shotgun leaned up in the corner of the folks' bedroom. They were loaded. They didn't lock the house when they left. I was told those guns were to kill animals and if I touched them they could kill me. I believed it. When I was about 7 dad bought me a Daisy BB gun, and taught me gun safety. Then he took me out and let me shoot the .22, pounding safety into me. He impressed on me that any time anyone touched those guns, there was real danger unless handled properly.

Times have changed, I guess.

EmcIcon and (deleted member) like this.
  5. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

For some strange reason I have seen a couple of these things in the dirt at the range I shoot Speed Steel and IDPA. I chuckle and think, "Who out here had one chambered and their first shot went "click" rendering their self defense gun useless". Or until they got back to their range bag and inserted the plastic rod down their barrel and drove it out of the barrel.
    Mike

6. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I guess you just have to get used to the Israeli style draw, rack, and fire technique... I'll stick with my Fort Knox pistol safe until the Judge Dredd DNA matching pistols come out. :)

7. dakaham

One of the major problems I see with this is if its in your nightstand and one of your kids does lock up the gun do you really think a kid is gonna come to you and say "dad I was playing with your gun and it locked up"? Heck no theyre not! So then when you need it it will b locked without knowing it and you will be holding a paper weight not a weapon. Pretty ridiculous item!

8. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

This is a solution looking for a problem.

When I was a little kid, my father's shotgun was always in the closet and I knew if I touched it without his permission my backside would meet his belt.

From the time I was twelve, my 20 ga shotgun and .22 rifle were in a gun rack on the wall of my bedroom.

9. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It is wrong thinking that children that are familiar with guns won't play with them if no one is home. I don't care how well behaved your children are and how much you trust them. Kids are curious and can get into trouble especially a couple of boys.
    I'm 64 and remember very well some of the stupid things me and my friends did. We all had guns and started shooting and hunting at very young ages.

10. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

Why does that horrible product keep popping up on here?

There was a thread a few months back, horrible idea then, still a horrible idea now.

11. Asp

You are right, kids are curious and should be, but you misunderstand me when I say "teach them correctly". Correct instruction should address this curiosity immediately.

12. dakaham

13. Guymcdb

Guymcdb Vancouver Wa Active Member

14. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I dunno... it's not for me, and I wouldn't endorse it, I don't think.. but really it's no more of an issue than any other change in training. Press-check your weapon every time you touch it, and that basically nullifies the concern that the safety bullet will have been discharged unbeknownst to you. I already do that.

Personally, I believe in keeping the weapon no farther than the squeeze of a trigger away from firing. I don't believe in external safeties, and this is fundamentally not much different than using a safety. Guns are bubbleguming dangerous in the wrong hands, and no "safety" can make the gun less dangerous.

15. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Or, OR, here's an idea: How about loading the magazine into the weapon and NOT racking the slide to chamber a round?? You've just achieved the same result, and I just saved you $24.99 by not having to buy a "safety bullet."

You're welcome.

16. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If all you wanted was an empty chamber, I'm sure the Safety Bullet guy would tell you not to buy his product... that's not what it's for.

17. sadiesassy

sadiesassy Prescott Active Member

Actually _ I bet the kid figures out to unlock it before the parent

18. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Wow. I watched the whole video, and it sure seems that's exactly what the "safety bullet" was made for. Why, what did you think it's made for?

19. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

I actually found (and kept) one of these things at the range one time. I had no idea what it was. Now I know.

20. Asp

[video=youtube;pele5vptVgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc[/video]