JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm trying to find some in .45 and 9mm and I'm not having much luck. A local purchase would be my preference but online is alright as well.

I've seen posts on different forums that Federal recently (as in about two weeks ago) sent a letter out through their sales channels telling them that its Federals policy to only sell HST to LE only (which has always been the case) and that they (Federal) would start enforcing it. Ammo-to-go used to have a bunch of HST stuff listed....now they have very little. The fact that their listing anything seems a bit strange because you'd think it would be an all-or-nothing thing.

Another comment I heard was that Federal might be trying to protect HST availability to LE only right now because of the buying frenzy and that they were afraid that officers who needed it, wouldn't be able to find it. Another rumor suggested that Federal might be in the process of marketing a consumer version of the HST....basically the same thing sold in 20 round boxes (at 50 round prices).

I got my first box of HST from a local LEO when I bought my pistol. He's a firearms instructor for his department and he told me the "LE only" designation is no longer in effect (and hasn't been for quite a while). A couple of weeks ago I received my order of 230gr HST JHP +P without any trouble.

Things may have changed recently, but it sounds like the rumors are designed to drive sales. Police departments typically get ammo from the manufacturer and not consumer outlets, so there's no "shortage" issue for them. Additionally, ammunition supplies for LE depts are often arranged by contract (long term, steady money for the mfgr) so they aren't about to "short" their regular customers.

Please post if you get any concrete answers; I'm the first to admit that I don't have all the latest info.

Please post if you get any concrete answers; I'm the first to admit that I don't have all the latest info.

Here's an example of one of the many threads on the issue:

<broken link removed>

Federal and Winchester (to name two) have policies that "prohibited" LE only ammo however it was not a law and there is nothing that prevents civilians from owning it (I use Ranger-T ra9ta LEO as carry).

The Federal letter was very recent. Apparently you could buy HST from Cheaper Than Dirt .... and now they have a restriction on their website that you must submit department letterhead to provide proof before they'll sell it now (at $50/box). Yes, Cheaper Than Dirt is gouging people left and right.

Good link. As one post pointed out, Fed can refuse to sell to retailers that don't cooperate, but that seems like a bad business move. Of course, I don't know exactly how much revenue they would lose by enforcing such a restriction on only a few of the products they make. They make (and sell) a helluva lot of bullets in a wide variety of flavors.

Well, the short answer is ORDER NOW.

I'm guessing that Federal may sell more LEO ammo to civilians....than they to do LE! :)

I'm afraid that the supplies may have already dried up. Last week I started searching the internet for any sources of P9HST3 (124gr HST +p) and can't find a single source who has any in stock (that isn't a LE only supplier, like Streichers).

I'll probably go with Speer Gold Dot (which has a really good track record) until I can find HST....if that ever happens.

I've been looking at Pow'rball and Corbon DPX lately. They're ~$1.00 per bullet.
Exhorbitant, but then I wouldn't be using them for plinking anyway.

Looks like ammuntiontogo might be the ticket but thought I'd chime in that surplusammo.com (based up in WA) usually carries both HST and Win Ranger - they're who I get all mine from (typically at the PDX gunshow)

Thanks for the surplusammo.com tip; I didn't know about them...

Oh for some more info about surplusammo.com, their site appears to be rather unmaintained and not current, so I wouldn't judge them from their website. Also I do not know if they have an actual storefront (if someone knows say so). But the best place to find them is at a show.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top