Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Has anyone built an .45 acp pistol upper

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by jbett98, Oct 22, 2014.

1. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I am thinking of building an 6" to 8" pistol length .45 acp barreled upper for my sbr lower.
    I also have an 45 Osprey suppressor that I want to use more often.
    Any pitfalls that I need to be aware of, like which mags work the best, top or bottom drop in magwell conversion, slick side upper, etc.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Oops! didn't read closely enough...

3. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

4. jbett98

Thanks, but I have a hard time navigating that site. Never seem to find what I'm looking for.

IronMonster likes this.
  5. mcathcart

mcathcart Beaverton, Oregon Active Member

6. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

It is a miserable site, Its not intuitive at all. I know there has to be lots of good stuff locked in there but it might as well be in Arabic

7. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

8. jbett98

Thanks for the leads.
    There seems to be more problems then solutions with .45 acp conversions, so I'm going to look at 9mm as an alternative.

9. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Seems that you need a dedicated lower to run the .45 in a AR. Kind of not worth it if you are looking to use it on a SBR lower.... Or just drop another 200 on a tax stamp:)

10. del_and_bones

del_and_bones Anchorage, AK Physics Pirate

Just a tip for searching, use google and the following syntax in the search bar. The search will return any combination of the search terms.
    search terms site:urlofsite.com

Example:
    45acp upper site:ar15.com

If you need a specific phrase put it in quotes. It will not search for any combination of terms, only that permutation. You can also mix and match quotes with no quotes.

Example:
    "has anyone built an .45 acp" Olympic upper site:northwestfirearms.com

11. jbett98

I've read about this subject on the web till my eyes dried out.
    What I want is someone on this site that has actually built one and how did it perform after the build.
    AR15.com is the most convoluted site to navigate through, so a first hand experience is what I'm after.

12. orygun

If you have a Tommy gun, why would you want an AR15 in 45 ACP? Just askin...

13. jbett98

Good question. The FA Tommy has never been fired single shot and as much fun as full auto is, it's expensive to operate.
    So I thought that since I have an sbr lower, why not build a .45 short barreled upper that I can hang my .45 Osprey on and have a cool looking and quiet AR that hopefully would accept Thompson stick mags that I have a bunch of already.
    The Mac 11 is also full auto and it came with a Bowers suppressor, but it's a total spray & pray machine that is even more wasteful of ammo, plus it doesn't have the heft and feel like the Tommy.

14. orygun

Here's my thoughts, Jbett.
    If it's not a handgun, then it's a waste of a 45 if it's not a Tommy Gun. (my Holy Grail, if you must know) If I'm shooting something in a carbine form, I want some kind of rifle, or short rifle, cartridge. Heck, even the 7.62x39 whomps the 45 in power. If I gotta use two hands, I want the capability of some distance.
    My choice, not yours.
    If I was looking at a pistol caliber carbine, I would pick the 45 ACP just because I have ammo!

15. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I have an integrally suppressed 9mm "Glock" AR so it is 16" barrel with the can attached. It is a ton of fun.

I got to shoot one set up basically the same way in .45 and it was awesome. I don't recall what lower he used, but IIRC it took Grease Gun mag. I wanted to build one like it for a long time, but an expensive project for something that I would hardly shoot.

If you google ".45 AR lower" there are tons of hits, with a few options.

16. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Are you shooting your M11 with the factory upper or do you have a Lage upper for it? The Lage uppers make a huge difference in enjoyablity of the M11. If you want to try mine, I'd be open to meeting up for some shooting.

17. jbett98

I thought about buying a Lage upper a year ago, but they quit making them, so the price of used ones have more then doubled.
    I would like to try one out before I plunk down over $900.00.
    I could bring the Tommy along if you want to rattle a couple of 50 rd drums through it.

18. SOrez

SOrez SOR Active Member

Try looking up Macon Armory.

19. jbett98

Thanks I will.

20. misplacedtexan

misplacedtexan Beaverton, OR Active Member

I kinda poked around a bit at doing the .45 thing, but I didn't want to have a .45 only dedicated sbr lower and went with the 9mm that uses metalform mags/mag block. Can't say I'm disappointed either.