JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a bunch of 215gr 41 mag lead T&B bullets that are sized at .411. Could they be easily pushed through a lee 401 sizer die and used for loading in 10mm and maybe 40cal?

This guy supposedly did it:

20210120_141859.jpg

Last Edited:
I don't see why you couldn't do it but I doubt there is data for that weight bullet. You'd be on you own experimenting as well as scraping lead out of your bore; don't do it if you have a factory Glock 10mm barrel!

Ah, I shoot and load both 41 Mag and 10mm so just use the properly sized bullets. One thing is the SWC might not feed in the 10mm. The feed ramp and feed angle are made for a RN or TC bullet shape. So you might not want to re size all of them until you are sure they will work for you. I have a Storm Lake barrel for my Glock 22 40 S&W and it won't feed the 155gr SWC's. The stock Glock barrel and my M&P 40 Shield will feed and shoot them just fine. I know, not the same but similar enough to mention.

I picked up a bunch of 215gr 41 mag lead T&B bullets that are sized at .411. Could they be easily pushed through a lee 401 sizer die and used for loading in 10mm and maybe 40cal?

This guy supposedly did it:

I did the same thing with T&B bullets and it worked fine - http://10mm-reloaded.com/bullets/41_mag_swage/41Mag_swaging.html

I loaded #9, Blue Dot, & N105, getting velocities up to 1,140fps before I put the project away.

Was pretty much just screwing around :)

I did the same thing with T&B bullets and it worked fine - http://10mm-reloaded.com/bullets/41_mag_swage/41Mag_swaging.html

I loaded #9, Blue Dot, & N105, getting velocities up to 1,140fps before I put the project away.

Was pretty much just screwing around :)
That's awesome info and pics thanks. Did you have any trouble going from .411 to .401 in one step. It appears the other guy I linked to above, was doing it in two steps. He went from .411 to .405 and then .405 to .401. He was also doing it with FMJ bullets, which I thought was a no no but it seemed to have worked for him.

Last Edited:
That's awesome info and pics thanks. Did you have any trouble going to from .411 to .401 in one step. It appears the other guy I linked to above, was doing it in two steps. He went from .411 to .405 and then .405 to .401. He was also doing it with FMJ bullets, which I thought was a no no but it seemed to have worked for him.

Single step, though I'm not sure how well it'd work with a jacketed bullet!

Years ago Dad had a Winchester 401 self loader. Model 1910 I think.
Dad had gunsmith Lou Fransen make a swage die to reduce .41 210gr jacketed bullets to .401. It was a push-through die.

I have a Herters .401 Powermag revolver. Before the 1990's, jacketed .401 diameter bullets weren't readily available so I made a sizing die that easily sized Speer 200 gr. hollow points designed for the .41 Magnum down to .402 which were (are) reliably accurate in my revolver. I also have a Steyr M95 long rifle in the original 8X50R that requires a .329" bullet. I swage Hornady 225gr .338 jacketed bullets down to .330 with a Lee swaging die, no lube necessary, so I'm pretty certain you can do what you suggest. Tom

I've used some of the Lee push-through sizers over the years. With success. Lubing makes the job a lot easier and in my opinion the results are better. For lead or jacketed bullets. With a lead bullet, I'd do it in one pass with lube. I used RCBS water soluble lube which washes off very easily.

If sizing the .41 bullets down compromises the lube in the lube ring, you might fall back on another Lee product, the liquid alox bullet lube. I had some old, dried-up, oxidized lead bullets that I salvaged using the liquid alox lube. Without having to melt them down and recast and size.

As someone said above, the bullet design may or may not work for you in self loading mode. Experiment.

I've fired lead bullets in stock Glock barrels and have thus far failed to note any issues despite admonitions to the contrary.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top