Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Has anybody heard of this gun?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PPCguy, Apr 6, 2012.

1. PPCguy

PPCguy Ridgefield New Member

A senior citizen is thinking of selling an old rifle he has had for many years. He says it is a "W S Scott" cap & ball musket in .577 cal. It has a bayonet and scabbard and is supposed to be from the year 1844. I have checked Flayderman's Guide, Blue Book and the internet without success. If anyone has any information on this old rifle, I would appreciate hearing from you. I am aware that in that era, there were many small arms manufacturers. I have not seen it so I can't offer much more information about it.

2. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Assuming the year is off by a few years then matching the general timeframe to the caliber it is probably a British Enfield .577 musket which is our British friends counterpart to the US Springfield .58 cal musket. Both muskets were used in the Civil War. They were produced I believe in the early 50's. I'm to lazy and tired to go to the shop to look it up. But this should help you begin to narrow your search.

If I recall correctly, WS Scott was a manufacture who merged with Webley in the mid 50s. Scott produced components for the Enfield rifles.

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

W.C. Scott Rifles for sale, gun auctions and gun classifieds for W.C. Scott Rifles at GunsAmerica. Refine your search for W.C. Scott Rifles with the choices below.

Webley & Scott

Extraordinary Exhibition Engraved W.& C. Scott Jacob Percussion Rifle Made for The 1862 International Exhibition in London, England with W.& C. Scott Letter

Webley & Scott Shotguns For Sale

Scott musket - YouTube

I would venture that its a W & C Scott firearm. And that either the stamping or engraving is off or damages or dictated wrong. I could be wrong it is also very possible that a seperate partnership was developed for Military contracts that involved Scott and not Wiebly

It could be quite valuable depending on if it is a military weapon (much less valuable due to volume made) or a civilian firearm. I would require appraisal by an actual expert not some dudes on the internet.

4. PPCguy

PPCguy Ridgefield New Member

I did some reading on the W C Scott rifles and didn't feel it was the right match. OFADAN is probably correct in that it is a British Enfield used in the Civil War. Thanks for the comments. That helps my search.

5. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

With an interest in "the old ones", this thread has been an education to me already, and all I can offer is my appreciation for the OP bringing the question forward. I received a mild "kick in the pants" to learn about something I did not know.

Thank you.