JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been in the market to pick up a pocket pistol. I have been holding out for a Kahr P380, for some time now, and can't get my hands on one. I have fired the Ruger LCP and and didn't care for it much. My second choice might be a Sig p238, but I came across a Taurus TCP today at a local gun shop and it looked like it could be a decent gun. It had a last round hold open. Made in the USA. The sights were nothing to brag about, about the same as the Ruger, but the trigger felt good. For Just under $300.00 I might have to buy it. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this pistol, good, bad or other?

I picked up one from my FFL buddy last week, I know with Taurus its either you love um or hate um. I personally have owned a few and never had any issues with them. The TCP is a very nice looking pistol, its small and I have large hands but I can easly get a good firm grip on it. It is well made and parts are of high quality no plastic.....
Trigger is great and the sights are small but usable.

Hope to make it to the range this weekend and put some rounds down range

I hate to say it, but my experience with Taurus is just that "Try different ammo" is there blanket answer to every problem gun they build (and that is a lot) :eek: I just checked one out today, but I'm afraid I will never buy a new Taurus semi out gun again.

I looked at a LCP, TCP & Kahr P380 last month. I liked the little Kahr the best (it felt higher quality), however I bought the Ruger. It is lighter, smaller and was almost half the price of the Kahr. The LCP was also smaller than the TCP and I liked the way the Ruger felt in my hand. I have never been a fan of Ruger or Taurus products, but both companies are now making good quality products.

Thanks for the response about the TCP. I'm interested in how it goes on Sunday too Andy. I have my reservations if they like to jam frequently. I would hope that they can digest 90%+ of the ammunition on the shelf consistently.

I just tried 2 new types of high quality ball ammo today, and I still have the exact same problem, about every other round is a failure to feed. Wow am I dissapointed, it looks like I'll be sending my brand new gun off to be fixed.
Is it normal when a new gun does not work from the very start, that the store you bought it from has no interest in helping you? Shouldn't they offer to take it back and give you a new one? They just told me to call Taurus, and they would take care of it, and it looks like I have to pay shipping to get the gun to them?? What a crock!
Can you give a more detailed description of the problems you are having?

Man that totally sucks, I did some searching on the Internet today and there was not much info yet as these are still fairly new. What I found was about 70% positive and 30%. Negative. Not gong to be able to make it to the range unt next weekend now.
I have some winchester fmj to put through it. I will post my results ASAP.

I just tried 2 new types of high quality ball ammo today, and I still have the exact same problem, about every other round is a failure to feed. Wow am I dissapointed, it looks like I'll be sending my brand new gun off to be fixed.
Is it normal when a new gun does not work from the very start, that the store you bought it from has no interest in helping you? Shouldn't they offer to take it back and give you a new one? They just told me to call Taurus, and they would take care of it, and it looks like I have to pay shipping to get the gun to them?? What a crock!

Not to mention that it will be a min. of 60 days from the time you ship it (on YOUR dime) till the time you see your gun again. Ask how I know :( That's why I will not buy a Taurus auto. (kinda hard to screw up a revolver)

Sorry to hear of your problems with the TCP. CV keep us posted as to what happens with your tests. I am very interested in the outcome. In the mean time, I just got in one of those and another LCP this week. I haven't shot either of them yet but for those who haven't seen it here are a few pics with an LCP for comparison.

TCP .380
102_4864.jpg

Up close
102_4863.jpg

LCP vs. TCP
102_4862.jpg

It is actually a little bit thicker than the LCP...hope the photo below can show that.
102_4869.jpg

The nice thing about the TCP is that they send two mags instead of one. But I think I like the design of the LCP better.

Trigger pull on the LCP is around 8lbs and the TCP pull is about 6.5 lbs.

Please let us know how it goes Sunday Andy, thanks.

Finally made it to the range, I only had 50 rounds of Winchester 95 grain and 20 rounds of Buffalo bore ammo so my testing was somewhat limited.

I had zero malfunctions of any kind, no FTF or FTE. I was somewhat surprised due to some of the issues other people have had with these.

Accuracy at 10 yards was quite good I had no issues keeping six rounds into groupings about the size of my hand. maybe 5-6" circle.

Had to ail high at 30 feet to keep things on target, but since this is a up close and personal kinda gun accuracy at 30 feet is not what it was designed for.

Recoil with standard ammo was quite manageable and I was able to double tap quite easily.

Recoil with the hotter Buffalo bore was quite a bit more noticeable and I only shot about six rounds of the hot stuff. Double taps will take a lot more practice :s0155:

All in all I was very pleased with the .380 and have no reservations about purchasing it and keeping it my back pocket.

A Raven MP-25 sounds like it could fly, but the best it could do....... would likely be flying apart after it is fired up.:s0112: Thanks for the Range report Andy. Good to hear it did well. airplane-fall-apart.jpg

This month American Rifleman has a article on the compact 380's It said that you should shoot a lot through them to break them in first. The TCP had the best group but they recommended not to carry it until you get about 250 down the barrel. Also ruger and all the others would not function flawlessly out of the box with out this break in.

Picked up one today to go along with my Ruger LCP, Sig P238 and Diamondback Firearms .380acp.

To tell you the truth the trigger is awesome, but I hate the magazines with the large base. It's very easy to pinch the heel of your hand with it and carrying a spare is just that much harder. If I had any plans on carrying this gun it would probably be on the way back to the factory already, the slide stop lever will not stay engaged with the slide and slams the slide shut when the magazine is removed.

Out of all the mini .380's that i have messed around or own, i'd have to say the Kahr P380, Diamondback and Sig P238 are the only ones I have any interest in carrying.

IMG_5081.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads