JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, update time.

I've had two failed attempts at the dipping process and I'm just about to ready to do the burlap & rattle can thing like @DuneHopper does.

I took pics of everything up to the actual dipping since I don't have nearly enough hands to dip and take pics. The prep, prime and base coat were easy stuff.
I used the bathtub in the spare bedroom as a tank since I didn't have anything else large enough to do the job. I followed directions as prescribed and just as I inserted the stock into the water, the tub started draining. I frantically tried to follow the water level down but no luck.

So it was essentially back to square one, removing what had adhered, cleaning it back up, repainting the base coat but this time in white since my idea of a green base was too muddy once I saw it.
I must say that if the water had stayed in the tub the first try it would have been a satisfactory result. But the wreck of the Hesperus messed that up.

This morning I filled the tub to attempt it again and added precautions so the tub wouldn't drain this time and it didn't.
BUT there must have been just enough activator residue left in the tub so that as soon as the film hit the water it began to dissolve. I couldn't use it because it wasn't enough chemical to do much other than make a mess and it was melting so fast there was no way to spray it with activator to try and salvage things.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I don't know if I want to buy another roll of film (Third roll counting the original kit) or just rattle can it or buy a stock somewhere.

I can post the pics, but until there's a final outcome it's basically just pics of the preparation up to dipping so I don't know how useful that is.

Sux not to be perfect. :confused:

P1000472.JPG This is and example of a 10/22 I was messing with looked allot better when I put a bull barrel on it. I wish I had a pick when the whole gun was like that but the design is similar to a few Ive done they vary in color depending on firearms.

Last Edited:
Any update to this? I was looking to hydro-dip my Remington 870 stock and fore-grip as well as a few parts from my motorcycle. The videos online make it seem really simple.

It is simple but I had two disasters. Go up to post #23 and it explains things. I ultimately rattle canned it and it came out pretty good, but read the post.

It is simple but I had two disasters. Go up to post #23 and it explains things. I ultimately rattle canned it and it came out pretty good, but read the post.
Yeah I had read all the posts. The last one said you weren't sure if you were going g to attempt again or not so I was just checking .

After two attempts I was pretty frustrated so it was just easier to get it finished at the point. But I would definitely try it again because I can see how it would work. (just not now)

I've tried using the Borax and water method and Testors model paint. It was my first and it turned out okish. This was only on the plastic stock and forend. I want to try again on a 10/22 receiver and barrel, but I may just end up getting it Cerakoted instead.

AD7EEDC9-13DB-4D9C-89AC-FC258EB982D9.jpeg

Well, I think I am going to order the stuff to do it this weekend. I'm going to test on some of my motorcycle parts before I even consider doing any of my rifles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top