JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a Mini in a black stock that I really want to re-do in a Mossy Oak type camo because it works for three seasons here at my place. Four if there's no snow.
I put a Choate handguard on it and I want to dip that too, but I'll leave the metal as it is.

I've watched some videos and it doesn't seem terribly complicated but it would be good to get some first hand knowledge. Prices for a kit that will do a rifle or two seem to run around seventy bucks or so.

So has anyone done this feat at home?

Thank you. :)

Here's the mini I want to camo:

DSCN0487.JPG

There are two shops in Tigard who do hydrodipping, but I don't know if they do firearms or any one who has done it with the kits you can get. We did play with that when I went to Trinadad, seemed simple enough if you had all the chemicals and a good dunk tank!

I think it's worth the money to buy a decent kit. It will have to wait a bit for other priorities, but I think it's worth a try. If and when I get to it I'll post up a thread with pics.

I'm going to spring for a kit Friday. I want a Kryptek type camouflage in earth tones and it or something like it is tough to find. The alternative is a Mossy Oak type pattern which is perfect for my area. I just don't want to restrict the pattern's usefulness in other circumstances.

Anyway I'll keep things updated. :)

Before you commit to a pattern, I recommend looking at the Max4D shadow grass mod-II
And I also like the Shadow desert that has more grey then green! Muted colors and less definition always seem to "Hide" better! Believe it of not, even the Winter grass pattern hides well in greens and browns. One thing to remember, it' not just the A.O. your currently in, it's the combo and time of year you try to account for, while the Shadow Grass may seem counter, give it a long look against many different settings, I think you'l find it blends the best!:)

Around here unless there's snow on the ground it looks like Mossy Oak all the time. @Ura-Ki your idea of a shadow grass makes sense. The idea of a muted pattern makes sense. That's also why I was thinking of Kryptek.

Okay, the kit came in yesterday. I planned on starting today, but I was attacked by a large blackberry thicket and when it was over I was bushed.
(see what I did there? :D)

I'll start a dedicated thread tomorrow. My photography skills suck, but there's tons of good videos on youtube for real info.

Okay, the kit came in yesterday. I planned on starting today, but I was attacked by a large blackberry thicket and when it was over I was bushed.
(see what I did there? :D)

I'll start a dedicated thread tomorrow. My photography skills suck, but there's tons of good videos on youtube for real info.

I'd like to see it, but fear I may not come across your new thread (happens so often here). If you think about it, post a link to the new thread on this thread to make it easier to find :)

I started on it this morning. Got it prepped, primed and painted with the base coat. I want it to cure for a while before I dip it.

I've taken pics along the way and will document it when it's finished with a link here.

It seems like a quality setup and the instructions make it stupid simple. I think most of us can prep and rattle can an inanimate object, so it hasn't been much of a challenge so far.
When it comes to the dipping I'm going to take it slow and easy cause that's the money shot and the object of the exercise.

Here's a couple of pics.

The intended victim:

DSCN0518.JPG

The kit contents:

DSCN0523.JPG

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA