JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's happened a couple of times.

Once, over 20 years ago, I had a gun in the central console, and got pulled over for speeding. It was a '92 Camaro that had no glove box, so my insurance and registration were also in the console. I told the situation to the cop, and he checked my CPL, then, if I remember correctly, just had me pull out the paperwork. It's a bit different than it would go down today, probably.

The second time was almost as long ago. I dropped off a carry gun at the lockers of the King County courthouse, downtown. The cop, I think it was SPD, not a deputy, was very professional and I had no problems. He did check the CPL, though.

My wife was with me and I was stopped last week near La Grande, Oregon and I informed the Trooper we were both armed, he said okay asked for my diver's license, asked if we both had Oregon CCL. I said we did and asked if he wanted to see them, he said no, went back to his car and checked us out on his computer. He came back was pleasant and issued a verbal warning.
I thought it went well except for my unintentional infraction (missed a speed reduction sign)

Last Edited:
I was pulled over by a WSP officer a couple weeks ago. Dome light was turned on, hands went to 10 and 2 on the wheel after my window was rolled down. The officer arrived at my window. I greeted the officer politely "Good Evening, may I help you?" The officer aked for my license registration and insurance. At that time I told the officer I have a CPL and that I am Carrying, he asked me where the gun was, I told him it is in my right front pants pocket. He said thank you. then looked at my CPL and explained that he pulled me over because I had pulled out of Mc Donalds Parking lot and had not turned on my headlights before entering the roadway.. eh went and ran my license and plates, came back handed me my paperwork back. then said be careful next time, and told me that he appreciated seeing my hands go to 10 and 2 after the dome light came on. He then looked at my Retired Navy Ball Cap and told me "Thankyou for your Service!' as he was turning to go back to his car I told him to "Be Safe out there."

I do not have any problems with the law enforcement personnel. I respect them they respect me. I have not had a traffic citation since 1990and the judge threw that one out when I went to court.

I do my very best to not have occasion to interact with law enforcement. Except for July '17, bit of a fender bender, handed him my dl, registration and insurance, gave him my statement, he did his paperwork and came back with my papers. End of exchange. And yes, I was carrying at the time. CHL never came up, didn't feel
It was relevant to the situation, our exchange or conversation.

Respect them and they'll respect you. Really a simple thing, grandma and well as mom and dad always taught me to treat others the way I wanted to be treated. Has worked like a charm with very few exceptions over the past half dozen decades or so...

Nothing to report.

I go with the don't say anything unless asked and keep your hands where they can see them. Like others have pointed out, the good LEO's most don't care. The ones that do have a problem with the 2A, it's just opening yourself up to a hassle:s0159:

So yesterday only or can we use the past month? I thought the thread title was "Has A LEO Ever Asked to See Your CHL?" so would not ever be EVER?

1990B421-945F-416C-BC53-FCC3B03253F7.gif

This has been brought up before many times.

Look at it from the LEO's point of view in any state.
Whom among LEO loves surprises.....................none.
I put hands on wheel, listen then politely say I have a CHL and
I am armed my firearms is located.... XYZ and still not move until directed to.

So whether its legal to ask, what does it matter just tell them and let the air be cleared.
Or you can wait and say nothing and either he catches a glimpse or sees you have on on record.
I can say you are more apt to get out of a ticket by letting them know your one of the good guys up front
and are showing them a courtesy.

But this is just me.
I agree with this gentleman 100%.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR